Skip to content

Bugs and oddities during my recent playthrough

WatchForWolvesWatchForWolves Member Posts: 183
edited October 2018 in 2.5 patches feedback
During the Prologue cutscene, the narrator says Gorion "interrupted your chores in the middle of the day", yet the game starts at 7AM.

Dreppin always says "Nice day, ain't it?" even though weather in AR2600 is as random as everywhere else, and it can be raining at the time.

Enhanced Edition changed 8 Reputation to not carry Reaction penalties, yet the descriptor still says "Disliked" at 8 Rep.

If you kill Edwin in Nashkel, even without ever talking to him, Dynaheir's "Edwin is dead" speech will override her "I'm being rescued" speech and you get no XP for doing so.

Bandit Scalps can't be put in the Bag of Holding(BAG31)

XP reward from Tenya depends on how you deliver the news to her. If you pick the "They are all dead and will trouble you no more" response, you'll only get 1000XP. If you pick the "Here is the bowl" response you get the full 2500XP.

Several houses in BG South/Docks are hard to get into because the transition point is off-center, but the house with Larriaz in it is the worst; you can get stuck on the doorway just trying to get in.

During the Seven Suns quest for Scar, if you free Jhasso then return to Scar without killing all the Doppelgangers, you get 2000XP and 2000gp for bringing him the news, and after killing all the Doppelgangers he'll still give you the full 6k XP and 6k gold. In other words, doing the quest "piecemeal" is worth 2k XP/gold more than freeing Jhasso and killing all the Doppelgangers on your initial visit to Seven Suns, which is only worth 6k XP/gold.

Delorna, one of Shandalar's daughters in Oberan's Estate, is supposed to summon guards if you demand the ritual components outright. This doesn't happen.

Brielbara disappears at night. Don't know how intended that is. Usually quest givers don't move at all. At least put her in Splurging Sturgeon at night so you can still get the quest.

In Entar Silvershield's estate, on the upper floor, the wall in Skie's room doesn't actually block line of sight. https://i.imgur.com/PDWUm8U.jpg

You can pickpocket Varci Roaringhorn outside of Tremain's house for an extra Shield of the Falling Stars.

There's a trap in High House of Wonders on one of the four containers by the wall that is impossible to disarm, but does nothing.

Cyrdemac's "Ruffian" bodyguards drop Bandit Scalps. Don't think anyone would let these guys into Baldur's Gate.

Chanter and Voice of North/South/West/East are positioned incorrectly in Candlekeep revisited area AR2626 https://i.imgur.com/PU1Z7vq.jpg

In Candlekeep Catacombs, you can pickpocket Arkanis for "unique" Arrows that only stack up to 40. It is possible Dalton(in Durlag's Tower) has them as well, but I forgot to check.

You can pickpocket Ike outside of Durlag's Tower and then again inside(or buy it) and get two Dwarven Wardstones that way.

The altar with Tome of Wisdom in Durlag's Tower thrid floor AR0504 has a trap with 110 Find Traps disarm difficulty, that nonetheless is impossible to disarm no matter your Find Traps score.

Combat Music loops endlessly in Candlekeep Caves AR5506.

Some NPCs that give info about Sarevok gaining power do so even after you expose him in the Ducal Palace; personally I only caught Herschel.

Sea Charts are not tagged as a quest item and can be sold to any merchant that buys scrolls/books.

Western alcove in "Urn Room"( http://forgottenwars.com/bg1/ar0512.htm ) has a different search sound than the others.

On Durlag's Labirynth level 3 AR0513, the wing-flapping sound of Greater Wyverns persists after their death.

Again on this level, the battle with Fission Slime doesn't work - the moment you split it once you get teleported to the Chess area, even as you see it splitting.

On Durlag's Labirynth level 4 AR0514 Clair De'Lain says she has "a bow trained at your neck" even though she clearly is equipped with a sword and a shield(she does actually have a bow in her inventory, but no arrows)

The description of the Cloak of the Shield says it has "unknown" amount of charges, even though in EE you can see the number of charges on the item icon.

Cult Archers which appear in Ulgoth's Beard when you return with the Soultaker Dagger cannot be attacked until THEY attack YOU.

In the basement of the warehouse where you fight Aec'Letec, Tracea Carol is so low level she instantly dies to Cloudkill. Some cult leader she is...

After you kill Karoug and return to Kaishas which turns the entire village Werewolf-hostile, Dradeel re-appears in front of the "Great Hut" even if you already killed him in his house on Isle of Balduran North. (Note: only happens if you give him the Spellbook and THEN kill him)

A number of quests in the game never seems to complete: Rising Tensions with Amn; Kivan's Bandit Hunt; On the Trail of Sarevok; Slythe and Krystin; Tandem in Extremis; The Rise of Sarevok.
Post edited by WatchForWolves on
JuliusBorisovFlashburnLudwig_IIAerakarlolienLoldrupbob_vengRaduziel

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Thanks for this impressive list. Very impressive indeed. Is it a big ask to file each of the issue at support.baldursgate.com (our bug tracker)?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    After you kill Karoug and return to Kaishas which turns the entire village Werewolf-hostile, Dradeel re-appears in front of the "Great Hut" even if you already killed him in his house on Isle of Balduran North.

i dont get that problem in my games
  • WatchForWolvesWatchForWolves Member Posts: 183
    Did you kill him before or after you gave him the Spellbook? I managed to off him before he teleported away, maybe that's why.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i kill him before i get his spell book
    Ah, I thought it was like that. I guess when you give him the spellbook the game automatically tags him as "survived" or something.
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    Wow, I wouldn't realize most of these even in 100 playthroughs. You really have an eye for detail.
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    I want to add something: just started a new game and Imoen leveled up; is it normal that i don't see the "+" anymore on portrait? I leveled up normally anyway, just this detail.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited October 2018
    @Daevelon that's a bug that's already been reported.
    JuliusBorisovDaevelon
    Grond0 said:

@Daevelon that's a bug that's already been reported.

Thank you very much! I couldn't find the report on the support page... so no problem, i think it's very minor and not a big deal, will be easily patched.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Ok, so it's already fixed by the new patch 2.6.
    Till that i just need to check from time to time that my characters didn't level up and i didn't see it :D
    JuliusBorisov
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367

Enhanced Edition changed 8 Reputation to not carry Reaction penalties, yet the descriptor still says "Disliked" at 8 Rep.

8 Rep still carries a penalty.

There's a trap in High House of Wonders on one of the four containers by the wall that is impossible to disarm, but does nothing.

The trap is an alarm, but it only works if there's someone around to report it and summon the guards, you can safely trigger it at night when their are no NPCs around.

The altar with Tome of Wisdom in Durlag's Tower thrid floor AR0504 has a trap with 110 Find Traps disarm difficulty, that nonetheless is impossible to disarm no matter your Find Traps score.

That is normal, traps are given a disarm value of 100+ to make them undisarmable.

Cult Archers which appear in Ulgoth's Beard when you return with the Soultaker Dagger cannot be attacked until THEY attack YOU.

Technically they are invisible (hiding), which you can remove with detect invisibility to attack them, but for some reason the invisibility is not actually making their avatars invisible.

sarevok57Grond0
    edited October 2018
    kjeron said:

8 Rep still carries a penalty.
    Not according to Enhanced Edition manual and not according to in-game character sheet: https://i.imgur.com/AAjWq3c.jpg
    kjeron said:

The trap is an alarm, but it only works if there's someone around to report it and summon the guards

Just because trap is an alarm doesn't mean it should be impossible to disarm.

As for "traps with diffculty over 100 are impossible to disarm" I'll come back to you once I get to Sendai's Enclave since I know there's a 110 difficulty trap there.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367

Not according to Enhanced Edition manual and not according to in-game character sheet:

It still carries a penalty to store prices.

The manual doesn't help:

It lists the store price adjustment correctly, but also lists an incorrect reaction adjustment. This is the manual from the latest patch.

Just because trap is an alarm doesn't mean it should be impossible to disarm.

That works both ways though - just because it's a trap and/or detectable doesn't mean it has to be disarmable.
    Seems like there's way too many manuals out there.

https://www.beamdog.com/files/bgee/BGManual2.pdf for example lists no reaction penalty for Reputation 8-13(page 11) and BOTH manuals list temple donation values incorrectly(It's 300gp for 6->7 and 150gp for 7->8)
    It's just a very minor issue, but the quest "Kivan and Tazok" didn't complete after finishing chapter 3 and reporting to Officer Vai. I add that i went to Bandit Camp without infiltration (so i didn't meet Tazok) and that Kivan didn't leave the party after a lot of day passed (i'm in Baldur's Gate now). Is it needed to be addressed?
    @Daevelon Are you sure you didn't get journal entries about Kivan?

As for Tazok, wait till the final fight.

Manuals - the most recent versions should be in your game folder (in the Manuals subfolder).

@Daevelon Are you sure you didn't get journal entries about Kivan?

As for Tazok, wait till the final fight.

I got the journal entry when i added him in the party, this entry is still not marked as completed. I thought it would be closed after chapter 3, but it's still there. About Tazok i know when i will find him, it's probably my playthrough number 50 :D
    It should have been closed once you got those letters from the chest in the Bandit camp (I checked myself).
    edited November 2018

It should have been closed once you got those letters from the chest in the Bandit camp (I checked myself).

It didn't, and it seems i'm not the only one with this because the post here of WatchForWolves mentions it:
    "A number of quests in the game never seems to complete: Rising Tensions with Amn;Kivan's Bandit Hunt; On the Trail of Sarevok; Slythe and Krystin; Tandem in Extremis; The Rise of Sarevok."

I think it's the same quest as i don't remember other quests involving Kivan. Anyway it seems just an issue with the journal, as Kivan doesn't go away after some time (i'm in chapter 5 now, many days passed)

JuliusBorisov
    Can you zip and attach your current saves (you can do that right in this thread), @Daevelon ?

Can you zip and attach your current saves (you can do that right in this thread), @Daevelon ?

In attach the saves.
    I use a Beamdog Client, SoD launcher, my only mod installed is the Xp cap remover.
    Last save is quicksave 3, thank you
    @JuliusBorisov Different character, same problem: this time anyway i noticed that after starting chapter 4 there is the message that say something like "Kivan couldn't take revenge because Tazok was not here" but no updates are showed in journal.
    Another weird thing, very minor indeed:

While identifying it's possible to click again "identify" multiple times and that will open multiple windows of identify; on the image is visible that "identify" and "done" buttons are not greyed out.
    Nothing bad happens, it's possible to close all the windows pressing "cancel" or "done" below.
    JuliusBorisov
    @Daevelon The Kivan/Tazok journal bug should be fixed in the 2.6 version. However, this menu issue looks bad. Can you please file it at support.baldursgate.com?

@Daevelon The Kivan/Tazok journal bug should be fixed in the 2.6 version. However, this menu issue looks bad. Can you please file it at support.baldursgate.com?

Done, #39471.
    JuliusBorisov
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    I've only found two issues on 2.5 which can't be fixed by modding. The pathfinding NPC's stacking in top of each other and the mouse cursor turning to the Microsoft arrow and being unable to click on the bottom right of the screen. These two have been on the list a very long time and are constant, rather than one off bugs. Any updates?
    The question about the 2.6 patch is included into the list of questions for this month's blog update.
    Aerakar
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    fluke13 wrote: »
    I've only found two issues on 2.5 which can't be fixed by modding. The pathfinding NPC's stacking in top of each other and the mouse cursor turning to the Microsoft arrow and being unable to click on the bottom right of the screen. These two have been on the list a very long time and are constant, rather than one off bugs. Any updates?

There's also an issue with WEAPPROF.2da - now to make a kit be able to use a weapon that can't be used by the baseclass, you need to mod the baseclass and that leads to some incompatibilities between mods. AFAIK this can't be modded away.
  • ZorutarZorutar Member Posts: 15
    @JuliusBorisov Is there any way how to complete "Rising tensions with Amn" quest?
    (playing BGEE v2.5.16.6 / WIn10) - or at least which global variable must be changed (via EE Keeper) to complete this quest?

Thank you for feedback.