[Known] Sprites graphics square outline

StauffStauff Member Posts: 15
edited April 2016 in Troubleshooting
Dear devs

Very annoying graphical artefacts can be seen on OS X in BG:EE when:

Sprite outlines are turned off
Zoom is all the way
(It happens on less zoom too)

In motion it's much more ugly, tiny lines of sprite boxes appear all around the characters.

You have to download full picture to see it.
Very sad as it renders game unplayable to me - those ever appearing lines seriously distract!

And nope, it was all perfectly cool on 1.4.

OS X 10.9.5/ ATI Radeon HD 5670 512 MB

Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• StauffStauff Member Posts: 15
    edited April 2016
    I can confirm this issue on other Mac hardware (including latest) and OS X up to 10.11

I have checked the shaders and they seem to be more or less what they should be. Nothing surprising in textures either except may be that the sprites are very tightly packed. I noticed that in tutorial lines appear only when three pals are visible.

My idea was that their boxes somehow collided but nope. I guess it all boils down to arithmetics of boxes calculation as textures seem to be fine as well as shaders.

P.S. I just checked the 'outlined' version of flow and indeed the bounding boxes are much larger in that case
    Post edited by Stauff on
    I haven't seen any mentioning of this issue anywhere in bug lists. I am more or less sure this thing is all over any Mac game as of now.

Nobody cares? Come on this glitch makes the game really bad looking.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Is it those black vertical lines around characters? Those are reported if I'm not mistaken.
    Still there in V2.1
    Anyone can point me to the Redmine issue #. I am almost 100% sure nobody filed it.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    See reports 20503 or 21473.
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    Win Vista 64bit updated current
    ati 5870

Same here.
    V 2.2 Enabling nearest neighbour scaling removes the issue.
  • AnthedonAnthedon Member Posts: 26
    Stauff said:

V 2.2 Enabling nearest neighbour scaling removes the issue.

A shame this option didn't make it to BG2, the outlines are still present there.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    The Nearest Neighbour feature request 21526 was raised for BG:EE and delivered as an engine change.
    It is available in BGII:EE under Options -> Graphics.

Public report 20503 mentions lines in BG:EE and remains open at this time. If you still see issues, please add to the report at http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/20503 or failing that, add details here.
    Thanks
    Yeah, issues are still there. When nearest neighbour scaling is disabled
  • PeterPeter Member Posts: 44
    Is there any chance to fix it?
  • BaptorBaptor Member Posts: 341
    I'm still seeing this problem as of 2.5 whatever-it-is-now in 2019. Anyone else?
  • ibanezrg82ibanezrg82 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2020
    Issue still there here in 2020 in BG2EE really bad in "dungeon" type maps
    I'm experiencing this much worse than the picture above lines around all sprites and bodies of liquid on the map (water lava)

I've tried adjusting all of the graphics settings switching on and off and restarting, nothing fixes this. I'm surprised no one has found a solution, then again how many people are playing right now since last patch? Maybe it's hardware specific or a recent Windows updated caused it? Anyway it's really annoying makes it almost no fun to play.

Win10 64
    RTX 2070
    intel solid state
    Acer 1920 x 1080 monitor with gsync

UPDATE - after much experimentation it seems Sprite Outlines is the culprit. Some people don't like that setting but then again some of us do. Tiny lines are still visible around some of the spell icons in spellbook/priest scroll

UPDATE2 - came back. Now it seems to improve the problem you need to enable Nearest Neighbor and disable Sprite Outlines. Combination of the two - also going into the game menu seems to make problem worse when any combination of these two settings is used. NEAREST NEIGHBOR - ON SPRITE OUTLINES - OFF. Still some small tiny lines around animations I shall update if problem rears it's head again
    Post edited by ibanezrg82 on
  • Romeo_RedRomeo_Red Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2020
    I'm experiencing the same issue. @ibanezrg82 unfortunately your solution does not work at all. Nearest Neighbor Scaling and disabling Sprite Outlines does not solve the issue. Spell animations are still all glitched out, same with spell books and sprites :(

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/78993/windows-bg-ee-bg2-ee-graphical-glitches-lines-around-sprites-spell-effects-and-descriptions/p1?new=1

I remember seeing these glitches years ago, kinda ridiculous that this hasn't been patched yet. Here's a post from 4 years ago about the same issue.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/737642#Comment_737642

Can this bug get seriously looked into, please? I'd love to finally be able to play my favorite game without getting distracted by graphical issues.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    @Romeo_Red The bug mentioned in this thread, "There should not be floating lines near characters weapons or hands" was fixed by the 2.5 patch.

Before the fix, the bug had not occurred with the Nearest Neighbor Scaling enabled.

Note that a similar bug still affects dragons https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/21473 and spell animations https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/38480