Skip to content

Ascension v2.0

Comments

• improbabileimprobabile Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 195
    Hi.

I updated the italian translation.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    @improbabile Let me know when you finish verification of the translation.
  • improbabileimprobabile Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 195
    @ALIEN

I finished :)
    @improbabile Hey, I've released a new version that has all your updated translation. Sorry it took so long, I was busy with RL stuff.
  • QuitchQuitch Member Posts: 17
    Is the Gibberlings3 page being maintained? It appears to be two versions behind.
    @Quitch Apparently not, I will notify G3 admins.
  • ZoGarthZoGarth Member Posts: 47
    I got this error trying to install version 2.0.10 on the GOG ver. BG2EE. Uninstalled and re-installed BG2EE and this is the only mod. Starts installing the "Rewritten Final Chapter of Throne of Bhaal":

ERROR: illegal 2-byte read from offset 2919 of 2894-byte file ascension/ascensionmain/demon/fincamb2.cre
    ERROR: [ascension/ascensionmain/demon/fincamb2.cre] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("ascension/ascensionmain/demon/fincamb2.cre: read out of bounds"))
    Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Rewritten Final Chapter of Throne of Bhaal], rolling back to previous state
    Will uninstall 252 files for [ASCENSION/ASCENSION.TP2] component 0.
    Uninstalled 252 files for [ASCENSION/ASCENSION.TP2] component 0.
    ERROR: Failure("ascension/ascensionmain/demon/fincamb2.cre: read out of bounds")
    Please make a backup of the file: SETUP-ASCENSION.DEBUG and look for support at: https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/forum/207-ascension/
    Using Language [English]
    edited February 2020
    @ZoGarth Which game version do you have? Does the override folder is clear when you uninstall Ascension?

Please post weidu.log and SETUP-ASCENSION.DEBUG.

EDIT: Can reproduce, will fix.
    Post edited by ALIEN on
    @Zogarth Fixed, please delete existing Ascension archives and extracted files from you game folder, re-download Ascension 2.0.10 and install.
  • ZoGarthZoGarth Member Posts: 47
    Your awesome, works like a hot knife through butter...Thank you!
  • Kartik100Kartik100 Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2020
    Now I realize I'm just screaming into the void here but I'll nonetheless try. I'm encountering an error.

So this is gonna be a bit of a long story, please bear with me. I started playing ToB a few days ago with Ascension 2.0 and Wheels of Prophecy. For some reason the Ascension components weren't working. I thought it was just some minor bugs I could deal with. But then I got to the final chapter and it was just vanilla ToB. I quit the game and decided to check the mod and turns out I had installed WoP but somehow forgot to install Ascension!

So I scrapped that playthrough, uninstalled WoP, installed Ascension, then reinstalled WoP (It won't let me do it any other way), and began a fresh new playthrough of ToB. This time the Ascension components were definitely working - Sarevok upgraded his sword to +4, the Five were stronger and so on. I quickly managed to get to Balthazar in a few hours because I knew where everything was. Here is where the real problem begins.

Normally after you kill or spare Balthazar, you're supposed to get summoned to the pocket plane by Solar who then delivers some more exposition, and then you get to be able to travel to the elven grove to continue the story. I know this because I did this just this afternoon on my original playthrough which I stopped because it didn't have Ascension. But this time around, no matter whether I kill or spare Balthazar, I don't get summoned to the pocket plane by Solar, and manually going to the pocket plane and then clicking on the exit doesn't give me the option to travel to the pocket plane. I'm basically stuck with no way to progress the story further.

Has anyone encountered this before? Any idea what might have caused this, how I can fix it? Any console commands to help me out with this? I don't wanna give up on my character now after going all the way through BG1, SOD and BG2.

Edit : Finally figured it out! My version of Ascension and my version of WoP were clashing. Uninstalled WoP, and voila

Post edited by Kartik100 on
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    if i remember right. with wop you don't get the solar talk until after you get the book off Balthazar then get the confrontation with you know who. then you go back to the grove and deal with her demons.

i always had an issue with this as it breaks the pacing of that section.
  • DalinothDalinoth Member Posts: 4
    I am a new player to BG2 EE and I just tried to extract the Ascension 2.0 zip file to my BG2 EE steamapps/common/BG2EE folder. During the extraction, my McAfee virus protection blocked the extraction because the following virus was detected - JTI/Suspect.196612!3039003F2cca. Has anyone else had this happen? Can someone from the Ascension team please check on this? I downloaded the zip file from GitHub. Thanks.
    @Dalinoth Common false-positive, nothing to worry about.
    edited April 2020
    Thanks Alien.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Dalinoth Oh geez, you're stuck with MCaffee? My condolences.
    ThacoBell - please feel free to offer me better alternatives. I have a brand new Dell XPS desktop and McAfee came pre-loaded. Thanks in advance...
  • QuitchQuitch Member Posts: 17
    If it's running Windows 10 then it has Windows Defender built-in, and that's all you need.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Yeah, Windows defender is sufficient. MCAfee is basically a virus in itself. I also had it start deleting games off my computer before. Even after whitelisting. And it refused to restore.

If you can afford ESET's products, like smart security or NOD, they are really good. But overpriced imho. I'm currently using Bitdefender free, and am pretty happy with it.
  • amberCoffeeCatamberCoffeeCat Member Posts: 90
    I've used Windows Defender only for the past 5 years on my Windows 8 machine, with occasional manual scan with Malware Bytes. Haven't catch any malware in all this time.
  • Ryz009Ryz009 Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2020
    Having a small issue. I'm trying to install it on EET and get ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'
    Resource [finslgd.spl] not found in KEY file:
    [./chitin.key]

ERROR Installing [Rewritten Final Chapter of Throne of Bhaal], rolling back to previous state
    Will uninstall 134 files for [ASCENSION/ASCENSION.TP2] component 0.
    Uninstalled 134 files for [ASCENSION/ASCENSION.TP2] component 0.
    ERROR: Failure("resource [finslgd.spl] not found for 'COPY'")
    Please make a backup of the file: SETUP-ASCENSION.DEBUG and look for support at: https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/forum/207-ascension/
    Using Language [English]

It's when I try to install the rewritten last chapter.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Yeah, Windows defender is sufficient. MCAfee is basically a virus in itself. I also had it start deleting games off my computer before. Even after whitelisting. And it refused to restore.

If you can afford ESET's products, like smart security or NOD, they are really good. But overpriced imho. I'm currently using Bitdefender free, and am pretty happy with it.

yeah macafee is bad. got a new laptop and it auto detected cheat engine as a virus when it isnt. so uninstalled that thing in the first 2 hours i had my new computer and just use widows defender.
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    Ryz009 wrote: »
    Having a small issue. I'm trying to install it on EET and get ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'
    Resource [finslgd.spl] not found in KEY file:
    [./chitin.key]

Will uninstall 134 files for [ASCENSION/ASCENSION.TP2] component 0.
    Uninstalled 134 files for [ASCENSION/ASCENSION.TP2] component 0.
    ERROR: Failure("resource [finslgd.spl] not found for 'COPY'")
    Using Language [English]

It's when I try to install the rewritten last chapter.

I can't reproduce this, sorry; that component installs fine on my copy of EET. Post your WEIDU.log if you like (at the gibberlings3 forum for preference.)
  • Ryz009Ryz009 Member Posts: 100
    DavidW wrote: »

I can't reproduce this, sorry; that component installs fine on my copy of EET. Post your WEIDU.log if you like (at the gibberlings3 forum for preference.)

Yeah it's weird. I uninstalled everything and started anew and it installed fine after a few tries. My install must've borked somehow. Sorry bout the trouble.
    Ryz009 wrote: »
    DavidW wrote: »

Yeah it's weird. I uninstalled everything and started anew and it installed fine after a few tries. My install must've borked somehow. Sorry bout the trouble.

Not a problem.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    edited June 2020
    A little issue that I noticed a while ago, but only now got to tracking down...

In the "Tougher Abazigal" fight, if you did Dorn's quest and put Abazigal's name in the book, the Planetar of Justice spawns at the entrance to the room, sees no enemies, and doesn't get involved unless you go out of your way to drag enemies over there. Contrast the vanilla EE, in which the planetar spawns in sight of Abazigal and attacks immediately.

Looking at the scripts, the issue is that the trigger condition for spawning the Planetar of Justice is "Abazigal is hostile". In vanilla, that only happens after his dialogue. With Ascension, Abazigal is already hostile when spawned. Either that trigger condition needs to change, or Abazigal needs to be tweaked to start out neutral.

Quick and dirty fix: replaced one line in the area script to check the variable that triggers the cutscene instead of Abazigal's status. Planetar now spawns after the cutscene, and goes to fight the enemies immediately.

(Observed in an Ascension/SCS install. Not the latest versions, but I don't think this has been messed with lately.)
    Post edited by jmerry on
    Noted, will address. (I'm not very familiar with how the new Dorn content works, so missed this.)
  • GentblueGentblue Member Posts: 39
    A short guide to installing it on Mac OSX Catalina if using the Beamdog client
    1) Download OSX-Ascension
    2) Open the Beamdog client on Baldur's Gate 2
    3) Click on Options then Open Game location.
    4) Move the OSX-Ascension zip to this location.
    5) Highlight on any directory in this location
    6) Finder-Services-New Terminal at Folder
    7) In the newly opened Terminal window type cd ..
    8) type chmod u+x setup-ascension and enter
    9) type chmod u+x setup-ascension.command and enter
    10) Now you can finally type setup-ascension.command in the Terminal window or open it from Finder

I couldn't find a guide for folk like me who haven't played Ascension since we were chatting with Wesley Weimer and David Gaider on alt.games.baldursgate about it! - must be about 15 years!!