Skip to content

Ascension v2.0

Comments

• DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    megamike15 wrote: »
    well i think currently if you have any mods that effect the epilogue or imoen and servaok you should just not install those ascension components until the issue is resolved.

so imoen romance, seravok friendship, the banter pack, edwin romance and i think viconia's friendship mod.

I still don’t quite understand what ‘the issue’ is, which means I can’t resolve it. Can you give me a concrete example of what goes wrong, so I can do a fix?

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i have not tested it with imoen romance or the other mods. but i know when edwin romance is installed after ascension you get an error and it fails to install. prior to this version that never happend before so i assume it's the epilogue component causing the issue.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Got a question: is there an easy way to tweak the powers you get in the pools of the ascension final chapter redone to actually happen when reaching a certain level?

So level 15 = First pool power
    level 30 = second pool powers
    Level 40 = third pool powers?
    Define “easy”. It would be a reasonably easy mod to write, but you’d have to write it - you couldn’t just tweak a flag in Ascension.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    If you are not an experienced modder then you could just add them manually in EEKeeper once you reach the appropiate level.

Note that in general I feel that XP thresholds would be better suited than level thresholds. I.e. Mages and Druids usually never reach Level 30 when travelling with a fully party and Level 40 is actually above the ToB XP Cap.
    FWIW I’m not keen on this idea - the idea that absorbing Bhaal’s essence is a route to power is a central theme in Ascension (and, arguably, ToB) and the pool powers are supposed to showcase that (and as such, they are really powerful, plausibly unbalancing outside the ascension context,)
    edited July 2019
    ok i tested it. it seems the edwin romance is the only mod that has an issue installing after Ascension. it seems it can't install a dlg file and errors out. imoen romance seems to install fine.

Post edited by megamike15 on
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    edited July 2019
    @DavidW
    I am really glad that someone is still working on this amazing mode.
    You have my gratitude.

Here is a new Czech translation for the current version Ascension.
    Looks like a lot of stuff has been added since my last translation. :)

P.S.
    This is not the first time I've created a new translation for this mod.
    It would be nice if the name "Edvin" could be added to "tp2" file, next to other czech translators.
    ;)
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    @Edvin Hello Edvin,

the tra files can no longer be used in order to update translation. Please use online translation system https://tra.bgforge.net/projects/infinity-engine/ascension/cs/
    you can very easy convert the tra files into csv and use 'import' feature of the translation system.

If you have any more question, feel free to ask.
    edited July 2019
    @ALIEN
    Are you sure?
    I took English files, translated everything and converted all text files to UTF-8 (withnout BOM)

I know you probably know a lot more about these things than I do, but I tested it and installation and translation work exactly as it should. No errors or problems.

BTW: Your link doesn't work.
    edited July 2019
    @Edvin I'm sure as I was the one who cooperate with tra.bgforge.net admin in order to add the mod into translation system. The files can be used locally but can't be added directly into the mod online repository because it's one-way integration. Please use online translation system, you can read the basics how to use it here: https://forums.bgforge.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25, use official doc https://docs.weblate.org/en/latest/user/translating.html or if you have any more question, feel free to ask.

The link definitely works.
    Post edited by ALIEN on
    @ALIEN
    Yes, now it works but did not work before. Strange...
    (Maybe I have problems with my internet connection.)

Anyway, I created an account and (I think) found a place where I can import texts.
    But I didn't find a place where I can convert "tra" to "csv".
    (As far as I understand, this must be done first.)
    @Edvin I'm afraid that this step must be done manually, this is how it would look:
    Thank you for using Weblate.;Děkujeme za použití Weblate.

first English string, then translation.
    @ALIEN
    I still don't understand why can't simply replace the source file, but you're an expert.
    Anyway, I don't have the time or patience for such tedious playing with programs.

Quite a lot of people on the Czech part of the forum are using my external translation, so I'll leave it as it is.
    It works without a problems and it matters most. Maybe I'll come back to it later.
    edited July 2019
    @Edvin As you wish...

BTW: Just to let you know, UTF-8 files will crash Classic BG2 game.
    This sounds unfortunate TBH: the point of weblate translation is to make it easier to get translations done, but if it's actually getting in the way of uploading already-done translations that sounds like a problem. Alien, is there really no way around this? If not, I guess I can do it at install time in the mod, but it's a bit hacky.
    edited July 2019
    @DavidW
    Translation is done so all it takes is to either open translation system website, go through every string, click one button if it's accurate and if not, paste already translated line from tra files. Or as I suggested, create very simple csv file na import it. It takes a fraction of the time and effort of the actual translation. It wasn't a problem for Russian or Polish guys.

The whole purpose of this system is to release mod maintainer from dealing with all translation-related stuff. There is no need for any kind of hackiery solution, Edvin mentioned that he will come back to importing someday. Until now Czech players will simply extract and overwrite English/Czech translation.
    Post edited by ALIEN on
    Ok.
  • Magus_BGforgeMagus_BGforge Member Posts: 25
    DavidW wrote: »
    This sounds unfortunate TBH: the point of weblate translation is to make it easier to get translations done, but if it's actually getting in the way of uploading already-done translations that sounds like a problem. Alien, is there really no way around this? If not, I guess I can do it at install time in the mod, but it's a bit hacky.
    Like any tool, weblate is useful if it's being used.
    Same as github - if you send actual code updates over forums/emails, release from a local copy, and use github simply as a code dump, then all you get from that is a burden of additional work. Using github properly forces a process to follow. It comes at some cost, but it also provides benefits, and I think it's safe to say the benefits outweigh.

Existing translations were loaded when the intergration was enabled. There's guide on that on the forum. I might help with that once per mod, but unfortunately, I don't have the time to do that repeatedly.
    And of course, doing translations outside of the system after the integration's been enabled defeats the purpose of having it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    ok so it's best to install this after all other mods but before tweaks right? so after all the npcs/friend ship/ romance mods that add epilogues. [ imoen romance, seravok friendship, edwin romance, and i think npc flirts]
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @megamike15 I'd still say this should go first.
    Honestly it's not clear. 2.0 is pretty compatibility-friendly, more so than most currently-unsupported NPC mods, and as of it shouldn't overwrite any mod-altered epilogues. Some mods respond to Ascension; on the other hand, in pre-2019 mods that response may not be compatible with 2.0 The Edwin romance's last official version, in particular, is not compatible; there is code in 2.0 to address this, but it has to be installed before 2.0. More generally, if a not-currently-maintained mod is incompatible with Ascension 2.0, I can (usually) address that in 2.0, but that does require 2.0 to be installed second. (I am not interested in cooperating with unauthorized updates of mods.)

My tentative advice is to install Ascension 2.0 *after* NPC mods. But I don't promise there won't be problems either way around.
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,442
    The evil reward from last Pocket Plane challenge still isn't working in 2.0.8, it says 25 DR gained, but it isn't actually given.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    edited August 2019
    @DavidW without looking at the code and leaving aside that you are by far the better scripter than me, but I had problems with the EE for actions like GiveItem(Create) if they are at the very end of the action list in dialogues. Just in case this might be the reason here, then moving it at the front i.e. before any SetGlobals does the trick.
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,442
    edited August 2019
    Also the good reward from the second last challenge hasn't worked usually, the 5 MR + negative plane protection. In case the reason is the same than with the 25 DR. Gained cast abilities have always worked I think.
    Will check. I don’t think I changed the code here, so it’s either a vanilla bug, or as Jastey says something subtle about EE script interpretation.
  • BhaalsDadBhaalsDad Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2019
    Holy shit, looking at the code, that final fight is going to be significantly harder than in v1.7.2.
    Not only did you tweak key points that my insane cheeseless solo strategy relied on, you also fixed regeneration which I didn't even realise was broken, including Yaga fucking Shura's, who I thought didn't regenerate as a feature. Obviously I had to enable all regeneration in the .INI before installing. As if the Five+Sarevok+Balthazar wasn't already the hardest fight I've had in any video game I ever played.
    I'll. Still. Make. It. *pants hard*
    Post edited by BhaalsDad on
  • GrimjackMVGrimjackMV Member Posts: 151
    Hi @DavidW! Just wanted to thank you for all the effort here. Looking forward to playing through the Ascension mod in the EE version of BG thanks to your great efforts here. ^_^