Skip to content

If you could choose anyone for your party...

2»

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I don't know if Death Fog instantly kills clones, or if it just kills other summoned critters, but Spell Immunity: Evocation on a simulacrum should indeed protect it from Death Fog, just like SI: Necromancy, SI: Abjuration, and SI: Divination should protect it from the Death Spell, Dispel Magic, and True Seeing. The instant death effects in each one are indeed nonmagical, they offer no save, they strike as level 0 effects, and they use a special opcode to which nothing is immune, but Spell Immunity will block all effects of a given spell, no matter how dangerous they are.

In order for Death Fog's instant death effect to bypass Spell Immunity, Death Fog would actually have to be coded as two different spells, one of which would be a "schoolless" or generalist spell, for which there is no type of Spell Immunity to block it.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742

...but Spell Immunity will block all effects of a given spell, no matter how dangerous they are.

I know Spell Immunity: Conjuration doesn't protect against Insect Plague (which is a Conjuration spell)...
    That sounds like a bug. I often use SI: Conjuration to block SCS insect-type spells, and I've never seen it get past SI: Conjuration. If I only escaped those spells due to lucky saving throws, however, then it's possible that the "use EFF file" opcode actually bypasses spell immunities. Both the damage from Insect Plague and the instant death effects from Dispel Magic and so forth are applied via the "use EFF file" opcode, so if SI: Conjuration doesn't block the damage from Insect Plague, then the instant death effects from Dispel Magic would apply even to clones with SI: Abjuration. But I'm pretty sure I've seen clones with SI: Abjuration and SI: Divination survive Dispel Magic and True Seeing.

It's also possible that SI: Conjuration might only block the first target of Insect Plague, and that having a party member get hit by Insect Plague could spread it to someone with SI: Conjuration. That could also explain the behavior.

It's also possible that SI: Conjuration might only block the first target of Insect Plague, and that having a party member get hit by Insect Plague could spread it to someone with SI: Conjuration. That could also explain the behavior.
    @semiticgod Actually, I was trying to solo the Black Pits 2 with a Sorcerer, so he was the only target. I didn't have any other party members or summons on, but still got killed by the Insect Plague. Maybe SCS modifies the spell and makes it blockable (I'm not sure since I only played the unmodded game), but in Vanilla, I'm pretty sure Insect Plague bypasses Spell Immunity: Conjuration.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Can a Simulacrum of a high-level mage (level 28+) cast Simulacrum? 60% of 28 is enough to cast 8th level spells if my math is right. Simulacrums casting Simulacrum would be pretty awesome!
    Balrog99 said:

Can a Simulacrum of a high-level mage (level 28+) cast Simulacrum? 60% of 28 is enough to cast 8th level spells if my math is right. Simulacrums casting Simulacrum would be pretty awesome!

Yes, that's possible, though the resulting simulacras will be progressively weaker (60% less over 60%).

This is also possible by casting Simulacrum with Nahal's Reckless Dweomer, effectively allowing even more clones. ;)
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

Balrog99 said:

Yes, that's possible, though the resulting simulacras will be progressively weaker (60% less over 60%).

This is also possible by casting Simulacrum with Nahal's Reckless Dweomer, effectively allowing even more clones. ;)
    Still those Simulacrums would allow 6th level spells though (or at least 5th level) so they'd be able to cast their own summons, correct? Would those summons bypass the summoning limit?
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    adalon, elminster and... boo.
    jan has to be in the party cause without a thief there is no fun playing and he can take care of the miniaturized giant hamster, we all know how much he likes it, with the help by elminster i am sure he can finally manage to steal boo from minsc or i can also have the ranger in the party.

For those of you who were interested in a Korax NPC mod, I have just created one. You can download it here.
  • AerieAerie Member Posts: 226
    So me, Aerie.
    Mae'Var
    Gromnir
    Minsc

And..

That guy who tries to sell you the Planar Sphere

Mae'Var just screams fun. His voice is just great, he's a really likeable character and did I mention he has a great voice/voice track?

Gromnir, is a chaotic sort of guy but I can imagine him and Charname teaming up together. He'd be a great fighter in a party as well.

Minsc, well is Minsc. No further explanation required.

And as for the guy trying to sell the Planar Sphere, imagine him in the party trying to sell a basic gem or generic sword to a merchant ''well you see, this sword slayed a dragon'', ''this zircon gem was buried in an ancient tomb and certainly not in a smelly shadow thief's pant pocket'' etc.

His place in the party would just be to sell items for higher prices. He'd either spectacularly fail or actually succeed, or maybe even run off with all the party's gold.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    edited April 2020
    Alvanhedar
    (Gullykin, Halfling Cleric)
    "More intrepid fools on the way to a beating?"

Reynald de Chatillon
    (Bridge District, Human Fallen Paladin)

Black Lily
    (Baldur's Gate, Human Thief)
    "It'll be the darkest day you never seen before I don't have what you need."

Thalantyr
    (High Hedge, Human Conjurer)

Samuel Thunderburp
    (The Five Flagons Inn, Halfling Fighter)

"Lady" Alyth Elendara
    (The Elfsong Tavern, Half-Elf Ranger)

I kinda just went through and picked some people I find interesting that would "look good" together in a party. It ended up remarkably balanced, actually..!
    Alvanhedar & Black Lily might be obscure references, but I love their lines and always remembered them, so they get in.