I've heard a few people say they'd like to be able to bring Korax the Ghoul into the party, and since I recently made a Lilarcor NPC mod, I decided to go ahead and create a mod that would make Korax into a joinable character. You can download the mod at the bottom of this post.
He's not the chatty sort, but I gave him some flavor text if you decide to talk to him. You can feed him meat and kiss him, and if you feed and kiss him more than 10 times, you can marry him and he'll get a cool little magical wedding ring. For those of you who aren't creepy weirdos, you can maintain a perfectly platonic relationship with Korax instead.
To get him into the party, you just need to talk to him with less than 6 party members. Instead of being charmed for 2 hours and then going hostile, he'll join the group permanently. Korax is a bit overpowered on his own, so I gave him a custom kit to balance his powers and let them scale with levels. Here is the full kit description:
Korax is a gross, ugly monster. He has long since forgotten whoever he was in life, but he seems not to mind the loss of his former identity. Underneath his twisted, rotting face and the putrid stench of death, he is a fairly cheerful "person" and surprisingly friendly. Still, whenever you catch him staring at you with his dead, unblinking eyes, you can't shake the feeling that he's thinking about eating your flesh.
Being undead has its advantages. As a ghoul, Korax is immune to many of the afflictions that plague humankind, and his very touch is toxic to living creatures. Undeath has left his mind hopelessly broken, however, and he cannot seem to grasp the concept of using his hands for anything other than grasping his prey. He cannot wield a weapon, dress himself, collect firewood, or do anything that a beast of burden could not. At the campfire, he spends most of his time staring intently at his companions or gnawing on a bone.
Korax might be a disgusting creature who constantly gets his noxious odor all over your clothes and personal possessions, but he is a faithful companion and attack dog as long as he has plenty of raw meat to sate his powerful hunger. Keep him well-fed, and he will be the most loyal crime against nature to ever call himself your friend.
- Immune to hold, paralysis, stun, petrification, poison, disease, confusion, feeblemind, charm, domination, fear, sleep, unconsciousness, fatigue, berserk, and Finger of Death effects
- Regenerates 1 hit point per round
- Cannot die from ability score drain effects
- Ghoul Touch: Korax's natural attack deals 1d6+1 crushing damage, and if the victim fails a save vs. death, Korax also drains 1 additional point of HP and paralyzes the target for 6 seconds.
- Every 3 levels, Korax gains +1 to hit, damage, and AC (starting with an AC of 5 at level 1).
- Every 3 levels, Korax's victims must save vs. death at an additional -1 penalty to avoid being paralyzed.
- Every 6 levels, Korax's natural weapon strikes with an additional +1 enchantment.
- Immune to healing spells
- Cannot drink potions
- Cannot wear armor, helmets, or shields
- Cannot use weapons
- Is a hideous freak who smells terrible
- Hit Die: d10
If you want Korax to follow you around without
joining the party, just tell him to "keep his distance" and he will be treated as a familiar instead of a new party member.