XCOM: Enemy Unknown

2»

Comments

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    It was a joke, man.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389

Hi, this is me.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I've played it for a while. It's good but not fabulous. The mission structure gets a bit samey after a while, and the tactical missions feel more like a grind than fun.
    It would be improved if the AI for enemies was active all the time, and not just after thier "appearing cutscene" happens. This makes the game lose some of its tactical edge. Also, my barracks is full of snipers, and I really don't ever use more than one.
  • Fighting_FerretFighting_Ferret Member Posts: 229
    If you guys want classic X-com action with improved visuals, why not download UFO Alien Invasion...It's free.

http://ufoai.org/wiki/index.php/News
  • ArbitraryNerdArbitraryNerd Member Posts: 14
    I liked it, but it really did become a bit repetitive. Now I'm just grinding for some achievements, and it has lost most of its initial luster after beating it on Normal and Classic.

I'm tempted to do either an Iron Man run or an Impossible run, but find the game a touch too glitchy for the first and I'll wait for some DLC before I do the second.
  • MikeMastersMikeMasters Member Posts: 141
    I was a huge fan of the original game and was a bit worried when I heard about this remake but after playing it from beginning to end I can honestly say its an awesome game.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    After reading about the aliens shooting through wall i decided to download the demo for PS3 and play it. It happened to me in the demo as well and got me worried.

So I have a question to those who have finished or are playing... How much does this interfere in the battles? What about the fact your soldier does not pause when detecting an enemy. How much does it interfere in strategy?
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    One thing related to that that I wonder, to all you who have played games by this studio before, is: going by their track record, how likely are they to "correct" things like that (shooting through walls, letting people change destinations after aliens been spotted, etc) in patches?
  • Arabus13Arabus13 Member Posts: 102
    mlnevese said:

After reading about the aliens shooting through wall i decided to download the demo for PS3 and play it. It happened to me in the demo as well and got me worried.

So I have a question to those who have finished or are playing... How much does this interfere in the battles? What about the fact your soldier does not pause when detecting an enemy. How much does it interfere in strategy?

Since you only have 4-6 soldiers, it makes you very careful about who you send and where. This is where the Assault Class comes into play with their "Run & Gun" ability. Also, after they level up a bit, they pick up more abilities that helps them in this ability.

With the OG, typically if one of my troops saw and alien and stopped, he was usually dead (after being spotted), or dead from having no where to go. That wasn't a really big deal, as I always had another 10 or 12 waiting to be thrown into the fray. In this version, losing one of your squad members hurts (!) and makes you think a lot more about future moves.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    scriver said:

I'd advice a giant collective deep breath on everyone's parts, accept what the game is, and move on. Pick up Dishonored! I highly recommend it if you want an action-sneaky change of pace. And it's not horribly difficult so don't get mad it's not the biggest challenge out there.

It's just not as good as the classic Thief games.
    The next time a game is inscribed onto stone tablets by the burning lazer eyes of the Game God atop a desolate mountain summit will be the right time for this comparison.

Can't turn back the clock :(
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Big fan of the original X-COM and thought this was a pretty enjoyable remake, if not as complex. However, I played through it in roughly four days and then got back to my BG trilogy playthrough that has lasted for about two months now. Just puts things in perspective.
  • awin123awin123 Member Posts: 55
    mlnevese said:

Getting shot through cover happens regularly it's not something that's rare or occasional. This changes the game into "kill them before they kill you" and strategy becomes irrelevant unless it helps you kill aliens faster. It also means that getting your health up as much as possible is the only thing that really matters because you will get hit by random 8+ damage criticals from across the map while in full cover on a fairly regular basis. To me that's not really challenging it's just rolling the dice to see how unlucky you get.

You can't play the game in the same manner that you'd play a regular turn based game in. The typical and best strategy is the move 1 action towards cover then use overwatch because it's simply too risky to dash forward and risk finding a pack of aliens without any ability to react or move after. So if you're looking for deep and engaging tactical strategy you probably won't find it here.