Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited April 2020
    Journal of Rosace
    I have a minor problem which looks like it is a bug.
    I have taken the ancient armour and the idol to the ghost outside Ulcaster Ruins mut to no effect. I am wondering if I am taking them to the correct ghost.
    https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/The_Vampire's_Revenge
    Do you have to do the book quest before he will give you the sword?

I know that I can just go and kill the undead in the cave near Lathander's Temple, but just wanted to complete the quest this time.

EDIT

Looking on the web, I've discovered that I have to do other things as well due to mods. Not at all clear :s

I am now seriously considering just killing the undead haunting the cave. That is straightforward!
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    StummvonBordwehrEnuhalussnorwayGate70
    @Corey_Russell But you have acquired some decent loot.
    Corey_RussellStummvonBordwehr
  • BlashBlash Member Posts: 248
    edited April 2020
    Hear ye hear ye!

Why not doing a no-reload run in a more relaxed way?

https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/28910-protagonist-can-die/?do=findComment&comment=280191

In other words: why a cleric in your party shouldn't cast raise dead? Why shouldn't you be able to cast stone to flesh? I find the constant terror of charname diyng (or being petrified, mazed, imprisoned!) really too intrusive and most of all unrealistic. And I highly doubt a fully modded EET game can be completed without some of the mentioned events happening to charname. Enjoy :)
    Post edited by Blash on
    Grond0Wise_GrimwaldStummvonBordwehr
    Just tried my first run with an undead eliminator. I was eliminated by the undead before even getting to Beregost! Killed by a skeleton ambush with one shot!!
    StummvonBordwehrMantis37Gate70Grond0
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    edited April 2020
    Blash wrote: »
    Hear ye hear ye!

Why not doing a no-reload run in a more relaxed way?

https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/28910-protagonist-can-die/?do=findComment&comment=280191

In other words: why a cleric in your party shouldn't cast raise dead? Why shouldn't you be able to cast stone to flesh? I find the constant terror of charname diyng (or being petrified, mazed, imprisoned!) really too intrusive and most of all unrealistic. And I highly doubt a fully modded EET game can be completed without some of the mentioned events happening to charname. Enjoy :)

There are arguments for and against this, given that other bhaalspawn don’t seem to have the luxury of it. It’s usually considered that you’ll lose your bhaal essence in any case if you die I think, though I’m not sure about petrification. Maze / Imprisonment Spell Revisions make a bit more palatable for me.

I’ve found this sort of tweak to be occasionally buggy in the past, though it may work a bit better these days. In any case people most certainly have completed heavily modded content... though up a stair of dead charnames in the doing of it!
  • BlashBlash Member Posts: 248
    edited April 2020
    Well, for me it is a matter of losing dozens of hours of gameplay :D
    I just can't reload, it's stronger than me. Any thought about Bhaal essence be damned :D

I confirm that now the tweak perfectly works and never makes the game crash, as happened with the old ToBEx one. Of course it is advisable to resuscitate charname as soon as possible, since some weird cutscene/dialogue assuming he/she is living might clearly happen.

Ah, now that you make me think of it, there is only one "flaw": if you cast raise dead, charname will be resuscitated in the exact place of death, and not near the caster, so it is better to change map before so to avoid being revived near powerful enemies.

Speaking of heaviliy modded games, I'm sure it is possible, I just can't conceive playing with not incurring in death (and in BG2 there are many ways of dying), petrification, imprisonment, maze as the first and constant thought throughout the entire game. Edit: sorry, I just realized that you wrote that most people have completed heavily modded content with many charname deaths, hence reloading.. well, I absolutely agree.
    Post edited by Blash on
    @Mantis37 You are wrong in saying that other Bhaalspawn can't be raised. At least they used to be raised. You could kill Tazok and he'd be back again later. (Yes I know that they've changed that so that if you kill him the game crashes, but that was a bad move!) I'm pretty sure that others got raised too. Belhifet has to be killed several times in my games. In a world where resurrection can happen, that is right and proper.
    StummvonBordwehrsemiticgoddess
    @Mantis37 You are wrong in saying that other Bhaalspawn can't be raised. At least they used to be raised. You could kill Tazok and he'd be back again later. (Yes I know that they've changed that so that if you kill him the game crashes, but that was a bad move!) I'm pretty sure that others got raised too. Belhifet has to be killed several times in my games. In a world where resurrection can happen, that is right and proper.

Tazok and Belhifet are bhaalspawn?
    Blash wrote: »
    Well, for me it is a matter of losing dozens of hours of gameplay :D
    I just can't reload, it's stronger than me. Any thought about Bhaal essence be damned :D

I confirm that now the tweak perfectly works and never makes the game crash, as happened with the old ToBEx one. Of course it is advisable to resuscitate charname as soon as possible, since some weird cutscene/dialogue assuming he/she is living might clearly happen.

Ah, now that you make me think of it, there is only one "flaw": if you cast raise dead, charname will be resuscitated in the exact place of death, and not near the caster, so it is better to change map before so to avoid being revived near powerful enemies.

Speaking of heaviliy modded games, I'm sure it is possible, I just can't conceive playing with not incurring in death (and in BG2 there are many ways of dying), petrification, imprisonment, maze as the first and constant thought throughout the entire game. Edit: sorry, I just realized that you wrote that most people have completed heavily modded content with many charname deaths, hence reloading.. well, I absolutely agree.

Sorry, when I wrote about the stair of dead charnames I meant that as a reference to the fact that most of us have failed at no-reloads far more than we have succeeded! So while any individual charname may go through the whole series no-reload we all have fond thoughts for the nearly-made-its and the unfortunate ones.
    Wise_Grimwald
    ussnorway wrote: »
    Imoen is a child as well remember

Yes, Imoen is the weird exception who seems to have a just a bit of Bhaalspawn essence stuck in her left ear. She’s a really interesting case of how fan reactions to a character can surprise developers and throw any notion of canon consistency out of the window.

When I did a no-reload of Icewind Dale I found it quite fun playing through with a party of which only one person *had* to survive an encounter so if you’re happy with your headcanon regarding the bhaalspawn stuff then I’m sure it could be a fun way to play through.
    Wise_Grimwald
    edited May 2020
    @Gate70 Sad about your problems.

I also have had a problem with a bug which is so bad that I am abandoning my Rosace game. :( It's a shame as I was enjoying it.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    StummvonBordwehr
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Gate70 wrote: »
    Inside the largest bandit tent Garish did a half-decent job of incapacitating our enemy, but found himself lucky not to be targeted by Hakt (had Visor blinded him, if so I missed that).

Visor had :p.
    Wise_GrimwaldussnorwayStummvonBordwehrGate70
  • Adam_en_tiumAdam_en_tium Member Posts: 99
    Sorry for the OT...
    ... but very cool portrait !!! I like your charname description.

Grond0BorcoStummvonBordwehr