Skip to content

Dark Moon Monk's Perception

Agent_XAgent_X Member Posts: 4
Hi all! I'll go straight to the point.

Five years ago, with an older version of BGEE, I created a Dark Moon Monk just to try it around Candlekeep. It looked really neat. I was surprised to see a new symbol in the portrait, and in the character screen was named Perception. Back to the present (and with the current newest version of the EE), tonight I repeat the process, create a DMM, start the game and there's no trace of that Perception thing. So I open EEKeeper (luckily I still have the old save) and compare. Here's the key differences, under the Effects tab:

Old version:
Stat: AC vs. Damage Type Modifier > 1 - 0
Stat: Detect Illusion Modifier > 24 - 0
Graphics: Display Special Effect Icon > 0 - 57

Latest version:
Stat: AC vs. Damage Type Modifier > 9 - 16
Stat: Detect Illusion Modifier > 10 - 0
No "Graphics: Display Special Effect Icon" line

So I googled a bit and found a site explaining all these Opcodes. I guess (or I want to believe) that the difference in the Stat: AC vs. Damage Type Modifier is just some sort of rephrasing/recoding but it basically means the same (I wish I was an expert).

The Detect Illusion Modifier I don't understand. Now is 10, but in the old version is 24 even when in both cases is 0 in the Thief Skills Abilities (not in-game, where it shows 10 and 24 respectively). Both monks are level 1 of course and with no equipment.

Lastly, in another page I see that Perception apparently is/was +2 bonus to Saving Throws vs. Illusion spells. Is that so? And is exactly this -and only this- what was reflected by the portrait icon?
Edit: in this thread, the OP suggests this: "The icon is constantly seen in BGEE, so it seems to be an innate ability that is constantly active. If the icon represents the detect illusions ability, then the monk would detect illusions always, without needing to hit the find traps button". Was he right? Was he not?

So, can a developer (or anybody else who has the knowledge for that matter) shed some light to this Dark Moon issue (or inconsistencies)? Was the DMM nerfed? It was a bug that was solved? Does nowadays work in a different fashion than five years ago?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Perception is a +2 bonus to Saving Throws vs. Illusion. Most likely, that icon meant the Perception bonus, not the detect illusion ability.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    About the "Detect Illusions" ability. It will automatically go up as you level, so you won't ever actively put points in it. It also needs to be activated, it won't be on all the time. You should have the detect traps button down on the action bar. This doubles as detect illusion for classes that get the ability. You can toggle it on, and it will stay on until an action other than movement is used. So attacking or talking will turn it off.

The way it works, is that every round (6 seconds irl, I believe) your character will attempt to dispel illusions. The number of points in the skill is the percent chance to suceed.
  • Agent_XAgent_X Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    Perception is a +2 bonus to Saving Throws vs. Illusion. Most likely, that icon meant the Perception bonus, not the detect illusion ability.

Ok. But, does that mean that in the current version the Dark Moon Monk has lost that bonus? Or simply it doesn't show in the portrait but is still passively applied? It was never included in the description of the kit, so I don't know if it was a bug that was corrected in the last version? Who should know these sort of things?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    About the "Detect Illusions" ability. It will automatically go up as you level, so you won't ever actively put points in it. It also needs to be activated, it won't be on all the time. You should have the detect traps button down on the action bar. This doubles as detect illusion for classes that get the ability. You can toggle it on, and it will stay on until an action other than movement is used. So attacking or talking will turn it off.

The way it works, is that every round (6 seconds irl, I believe) your character will attempt to dispel illusions. The number of points in the skill is the percent chance to suceed.

My bad. @kjeron is correct. I forgot that monks get a few thief skills normally. You'll need to add points to detect illusion at level up to improve it.
  • Agent_XAgent_X Member Posts: 4
    kjeron wrote: »
    I don't know where the claim of "+2 bonus to Saving Throws vs. Illusion" comes from - it doesn't have such a feature, nor was such a feature even possible prior to v2.0 (at least without hardcoding it, which it also doesn't have).
    Me neither, I read that in PIH, I wasn't sure because that saving throw is/was not reflected in the character screen. Made sense, though, that a kit specialized in anti-illusions (so to speak) could have that bonus, but is not something I had heard of before this week.
    kjeron wrote: »
    The icon was granted along with the +24% DI bonus. The icon was removed when the bonus was dropped to +10% (matching the description). (...)
    The icon is once again only used by the "Potion of Perception".
    Nice. So I guess that the initial 24% instead of 10% was a little bug already corrected, right? And the icon only was there to reflect the DMM ability to Detect Illusions? Do you happen to know whether Thieves also did get that icon in that earlier version of the game, provided they had assigned points in that thieving skill?