Skip to content

I sacrificed Imoen at Resurrection Gorge

I recorded the whole thing in the YouTube video below. It was actually pretty funny, probably one of the most evil things one can do in the game when you think about it.

KamigoroshidunbarJuliusBorisovlroumen

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Evil, you say? You're a hero for saving the realms from the Imoen blight! :)
    Blackbɨrddunbar
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    Evil, you say? You're a hero for saving the realms from the Imoen blight! :)

Oh, definitely. The most evillest of deeds was in fact, not killing Imoen earlier.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    now i've finally got a reason to rescue her from spellhold..
    BlackbɨrdDharius
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    hey buddies, i really hope that in your games irenicus and/or mel are the ones that win as the world is a much better place with them and not you in charge... ;):D
    ThacoBellleeuxTimbo0o0o0
    If you vote me for president all mentionings of Abdel Adrian and Imoen will be removed from the Forgotten Realms canon. :p
    Blackbɨrd
    If you vote me for president all mentionings of Abdel Adrian and Imoen will be removed from the Forgotten Realms canon. :p

Would certainly be a glorious day if that happened.
    dunbar wrote: »
    now i've finally got a reason to rescue her from spellhold..

Family goals :D
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    hey buddies, i really hope that in your games irenicus and/or mel are the ones that win as the world is a much better place with them and not you in charge... ;):D

I hope Irenicus wins full stop. Like, whenever I'm reading someone else's playthrough I'm just rooting and gunning for Irenicus to win.
    gorgonzolalolien
    @Blackbɨrd actually he should, a mage so powerful and influential, that has no problem in gaining alliance with matron mothers, to set up strongholds like the starting one, to call powerful helpers to attack and keep the elves city, including a dragon, and to have the devils side with him in hell, and that in the cut scenes cast as a machine gun, defeating in no time CW parties, is really under performing in the last battle, at least tactics mod make him there the powerful opponent that he is supposed to be.
    Blackbɨrd
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    This is a disturbing thread.
    Aedanleeux
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    I agree.
    ThacoBell
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    This is a disturbing thread.
    Of course. Anything to do with Imoen is disturbing after all. To the point where sacrificing her to demons is a form of self-defense. :innocent:
    This is a disturbing game imho, as is a game where is possible to play both in a good way, but also in a very evil one, slaughtering people for no reason, helping a person in serving a demon or betraying him only to serve an other one, stealing, becoming ally of an evil vampire guild. It is even impossible to beat the game in a completely LG way as you have to side with vampires or with thieves and assassins to progress in the main quest, progress doing an illegal thing, trying to break in a prison to "save" (help the evasion) of your team mate instead of trying to help her in a LG way, like you do if nalia is imprisoned.

The dark side is rooted into this game, is a part of it, even if it is possible to play it in a good oriented way, if not for the main quest problem.

So let the people that like to bath themselves in the turbid waters of the dark side share their feelings here.
    I always RP in a good way, even when I play a neutral charname, and I can not force myself in having a couple of evil NPCs join my party, so I completely miss half of the EE added content. For the very same reason that I could not force myself to RP let's say a pedophile in a game, as I think that some things that can be RP in this game are even worst, much worst then pedophile, we are talking of massacres for no reason and worshiping demons.

But as the dark side is part of this game i find normal, and not so much disturbing, that some players that like to RP it share their experience on the forums, so I don't have any problem with this thread or let's say the other in which @Aerie, one of the npc more rooted in goodness is transformed in a very evil charname.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    After reading this thread, all I can say is "Carry on..." while backing slowly out of the room and quietly whisking my Imoen away to someplace faaaaaar away and safe. XD
    gorgonzolaArdulThacoBell
    Come on, guys. You might try to shy away from all this evil talk, but you have to admit deep down that it's a very tempting prospect even if you are good, to do something like this.
    Kamigoroshi
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    Zaxares wrote: »
    After reading this thread, all I can say is "Carry on..." while backing slowly out of the room and quietly whisking my Imoen away to someplace faaaaaar away and safe. XD

I don't mind if she plays hard to get >:)
    KamigoroshiBlackbɨrd
    Blackbɨrd wrote: »
    Come on, guys. You might try to shy away from all this evil talk, but you have to admit deep down that it's a very tempting prospect even if you are good, to do something like this.

Not really no. I never understood that appeal of being evil. Its not even fun to pretend.
    Aedangorgonzola
    Not really no. I never understood that appeal of being evil. Its not even fun to pretend.
    Same can be said for any alignment, really. I for one can't understand the appeal of playing good - it's yawning reincarnate as far as I am concerned. Others may find being chaotic to be lacking in purpose. Or lawful to be close minded. Heck, I even know people who dislike neutral for being too indecisiveness.

I say people can play however they want without being judged. :)
    Blackbɨrd
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    I say people can play however they want without being judged. :)

So they are and act like Chaotic Neutral people :p
    ThacoBell

Personally I normally play as evil or chaotic neutral (doing some things, some things bad whatever I want etc), however I can see the appeal of playing good. I can see the appeal of ''good'' classes such as paladin and rangers and find them appealing classes, I can also see the appeal of good weapons (holy avenger, purifier etc), I can see the appeal of good strongholds even though I normally play evil (ranger stronghold for example) and I see the appeal of interesting good characters such as Keldorn, Aerie, Minsc etc.

Surely you can understand and see some of the appeal of playing evil, saying that you ''never understood that appeal of being evil'' comes across as ignorant considering that there is much appeal to being evil. Items such as the Human flesh, really great characters such as Edwin, Viconia and Korgan (who are all evil), strongholds where there are evil options (Cleric of Talos) and even evil-related new content (for example Dorn's quest).

Saying that you can't understand the appeal of being evil, means you are either being ridiculous or lying/exaggerating. You can't see the appeal of some great and interesting characters like Edwin? You can't see the appeal of playing new content and additions to the game (three or four new locations) which are Hexxat and Dorn's quests. I can understand not liking playing evil (whic makes sense), but saying you can't see any appeal of playing evil is ridiculous.
    Kamigoroshi
    Aedan wrote: »

So they are and act like Chaotic Neutral people :p
    not necessarily, to RP means to live in a game something that probably is impossible to live in the RL, and some people can like to RP not only be a mage or some kind of medieval fighter, but to be also something very different from how he is in the RL as attitude towards the life, as alignment.
    i don't think that a person that RP an evil charname has to be evil also in the RL, not even the kind of evil person that disguises himself as following his evil attitude would get more problems then benefits, so has to live that part of his personality in a game.

some people can rp to be in a game something completely different from what they are in the RL because they are curious, not chaotic, and they want to see how it would be if they were completely different from how they are, or maybe because they are bored to play always the same good oriented charname and want to try something that allow them different party compositions and choices.

some other people, like me, just can't. they can not RP to be something completely different to what they are in the RL, can not even think of killing people for no reason or for personal profit or to side with dark forces, being it in the RL or in the fiction of a game.

so
    Saying that you can't understand the appeal of being evil, means you are either being ridiculous or lying/exaggerating. You can't see the appeal of some great and interesting characters like Edwin? You can't see the appeal of playing new content and additions to the game (three or four new locations) which are Hexxat and Dorn's quests. I can understand not liking playing evil (whic makes sense), but saying you can't see any appeal of playing evil is ridiculous.
    as i don't feel the appeal of being evil, i had made a clear choice in RL, as anyone but maybe a couple of saints in each millennia has a dark side inside him, and that choice prevents me to have any fun in RP an evil run.
    it just disgust me, like to RP to sexually abuse of children would disgust me, and i don't have any fun in RP something that disgust me, even if i have no problem if other people like to do it and to share their experiences on the forums.
    i know that i am missing something, and i really don't appreciate how Beamdog embraced the "dark side of
    the force" in creating its new content, making at least half of it not available for those that don't like to play evil and creating new npcs whose level of evilness is way beyond how the evil npcs of the original game was.
    i could never play hexxat and dorn quest, as i could never side with bodhi or have edwin in the party in the original game, but i really prefer to not do something that really disgust me, even if done in a game, then to play some content that i actually had payed money for.

and as i am not lying or exaggerating probably i am ridiculous, but i really prefer to be so then to disgust myself doing in a game things that are the exact opposite of the way i believe is worth to live my life.
    KamigoroshiBlackbɨrdArdul
    edited April 2020
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    not necessarily, to RP means to live in a game something that probably is impossible to live in the RL, and some people can like to RP not only be a mage or some kind of medieval fighter, but to be also something very different from how he is in the RL as attitude towards the life, as alignment. i don't think that a person that RP an evil charname has to be evil also in the RL, not even the kind of evil person that disguises himself as following his evil attitude would get more problems then benefits, so has to live that part of his personality in a game.

some people can rp to be in a game something completely different from what they are in the RL because they are curious, not chaotic, and they want to see how it would be if they were completely different from how they are, or maybe because they are bored to play always the same good oriented charname and want to try something that allow them different party compositions and choices.

That is a fair assesstment. And pretty much on point why I do enjoy roleplaying: the ability to "play" personas different from the real me. Hence why I also adamantly refuse rolling human characters inside RPG's. I already do so IRL after all. No point in becoming another hairless ape inside games as well, now is there? ;)
    gorgonzola
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I have played Evil characters before (it comes fairly easily to me as I'm the DM for my table-top group and thus I have a lot of experience in playing varied shades of evil, Evil with a capital E, and genuinely depraved, disturbing stuff from Call of Cthulhu and Ravenloft games). For me, there is a certain morbid interest in seeing "how the other side lives", and trying to understand the psychology of what drives people to be Evil can be quite fascinating. Nonetheless, my Evil characters never really resonate with me the same way my LG Wizard does. The closest I've come to having an Evil character that I genuinely enjoyed playing was a Lawful Evil Blackguard that I created for a PbF game years ago. He aspired to become a King one day, and so his story was all about how he slowly built his power base, gathered allies (well, slaves really) to his side using a combination of bribery, blackmail and intimidation, and playing off his rivals against each other until he was in a position to eliminate them. He was very much the sort of ruthless, but fair in an iron-fisted way tyrant. In hindsight, he probably would have made an excellent character to play in a Game of Thrones or Witcher-style world where there are lots more shades of grey. Instead, due to the nature of trying to make him fit into a typical high fantasy D&D world, he wound up going down the usual "kill things, take their stuff, become more powerful so you can kill powerful things and take their stuff" adventuring. :P
    gorgonzolaBlackbɨrd
    @Blackbɨrd "Surely you can understand and see some of the appeal of playing evil, saying that you ''never understood that appeal of being evil'' comes across as ignorant considering that there is much appeal to being evil. Items such as the Human flesh, really great characters such as Edwin, Viconia and Korgan (who are all evil), strongholds where there are evil options (Cleric of Talos) and even evil-related new content (for example Dorn's quest)."

No I really can't. I take no joy in causing harm. Even to digital people. Its just unpleasant.
    gorgonzolaPokota
    @Blackbɨrd "Surely you can understand and see some of the appeal of playing evil, saying that you ''never understood that appeal of being evil'' comes across as ignorant considering that there is much appeal to being evil. Items such as the Human flesh, really great characters such as Edwin, Viconia and Korgan (who are all evil), strongholds where there are evil options (Cleric of Talos) and even evil-related new content (for example Dorn's quest)."

No I really can't. I take no joy in causing harm. Even to digital people. Its just unpleasant.
    edited April 2021
    Zaxares wrote: »
    I have played Evil characters before (it comes fairly easily to me as I'm the DM for my table-top group and thus I have a lot of experience in playing varied shades of evil, Evil with a capital E, and genuinely depraved, disturbing stuff from Call of Cthulhu and Ravenloft games). For me, there is a certain morbid interest in seeing "how the other side lives", and trying to understand the psychology of what drives people to be Evil can be quite fascinating. Nonetheless, my Evil characters never really resonate with me the same way my LG Wizard does. The closest I've come to having an Evil character that I genuinely enjoyed playing was a Lawful Evil Blackguard that I created for a PbF game years ago. He aspired to become a King one day, and so his story was all about how he slowly built his power base, gathered allies (well, slaves really) to his side using a combination of bribery, blackmail and intimidation, and playing off his rivals against each other until he was in a position to eliminate them. He was very much the sort of ruthless, but fair in an iron-fisted way tyrant. In hindsight, he probably would have made an excellent character to play in a Game of Thrones or Witcher-style world where there are lots more shades of grey. Instead, due to the nature of trying to make him fit into a typical high fantasy D&D world, he wound up going down the usual "kill things, take their stuff, become more powerful so you can kill powerful things and take their stuff" adventuring. :P

Hey man, thanks for sharing that. Really interesting read, I love the sound of that blackguard by the way.
    Post edited by Blackbɨrd on
    gorgonzolaKamigoroshi
    edited April 2021
    edited April 2021

edited May 2020
    To find something disturbing, even to read other people talking of slaughtering people in a RP game, is something very subjective. I personally find disturbing to read about anything related to the use of violence for no reason, abuse of children, and not necessarily sexual abuse, and alliance with dark forces like demons.
    i find it disturbing even if it is in a computer game context, but i fail to see a reason why only some of those things are forbidden in that context, while in the RL many more of those are forbidden. in the RL to kill people for no reason is sanctioned at least as hard as pedophilia, but in a game many people has no problem at all in having evil charnames slaughtering every people they find, while when a mod introduced a romanceable 15 years old paladin a lot of problems arose, when in RL there is a lot of people that at 15 years age has an active sexual life, but to kill people for money or fun is surely not allowed.

i find to read such things when are related to RL facts way more disturbing, no doubt about it, when i read of real people living in slavery like conditions, of teenagers used as soldiers that have lost any inhibition to kill or use violence, of ethnic massacres and such things it disturbs me a lot more then when i read of some players having fun in having imoen sacrificed to a demon.

but if a person can find or not find something disturbing is something very subjective, and maybe the "evil ones" should had better not try to mock @ThacoBell when he expressed his feelings about the topic, it is also true that those "evil ones" have all the right to share in the forums their way to have fun in the game, as the evil way is surely one of the possible ways this game is intended for, while it is impossible to complete it in a real LG way, as a real LG charname would never side with vampires or thieves and assassins to try to make a person evade from a prison, but would instead try to have that person released in the proper LG way, like happens when nalia is in prison.

EDIT: but also to fail to see why other people can have fun in joining the dark side in a RP game is to lack of respect for the subjective point of view and taste of other players, even if i am not completely sure that this has been done in the thread as "i can not understand the appeal of...." can mean that from your subjective point of view you don't see how you can have fun in doing such things as well as can mean that you fail to understand why other people have fun doing them.
    ThacoBell
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited May 2020
    Hi @ThacoBell
    I think his point is that "seeing the appeal" is about that you show recognition that others see benefits in playing evil, not necessarily that you personally want the benefits of it.

As example I think you would not make the human leather armor upgrade given what you need to do for it, but you would admit that the armor has undeniable benefits for those players that do create it (hypothetically, I don't know your point of view in this).

I feel the discussion is a bit exploding over semantics.

About the op. I never played with dorn yet through SoA and ToB but I should do so to see where this leads.
    KamigoroshiBlackbɨrd
    @Blackbɨrd If you insist that I must be able to see the appeal for other people, no I don't. If you think you can decide what I should or should not feel, that doesn't sound like my problem.

@lroumen "I think his point is that "seeing the appeal" is about that you show recognition that others see benefits in playing evil, not necessarily that you personally want the benefits of it."

Doesn't change anything. The idea that someone would enjoy harming others for "entertainment" is alien to me, and more than a little disturbing.