Skip to content

Baldur’s Gate / John Wick Crossover?

In my playthrough thread, the protagonist Bhaalspawn (Ausar, elven F/M) has finally made it to the Friendly Arms Inn (Chapter 1, Parts XVII - XIX: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/78398/ausar-the-riven-fighter-mage-playthrough/p2). Although I’ve played through this part of the game many times before, I never really paid much attention to one of the FAI guard’s lines, until now.

Guard: “Perhaps ‘rules’ is a touch too formal. It is unwritten, but accepted, that while herein you will act with the utmost civility to all other guests. This is neutral ground, and all grievances are left at the gate. If the grievances come in, then you will go out.”

Does this evoke the Continental Hotel from John Wick for anyone else? I mean, I’m sure FAI management wants to keep its grounds safe for everyday guests, but I could also see it as a kind of safe harbor for those engaged in dangerous lines of work. Two Harpers (Khalid and Jaheira) and a blackguard (Dorn) are sharing the common room, after all. Neera, who is being hunted by Red Wizards, decides to head there immediately after you drop her from the party, where she - presumably - remains safe until you are ready to pick her up again. Anyway, no smoking gun, but it sure is food for thought.

Gives me half a mind to download a Keanu Reeves portrait and roll a Fighter or F/T . . .
Anyone interested in modding “Gorion” into a beagle? lol

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Not 100% the same but quite similar indeed. No doing "business" inside the hotel.

I think we can track the origin of that rule even earlier:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MovieDetails/comments/duil5i/john_wicks_continental_hotels_neutral_ground/
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    As someone who decided to theme a playthrough around Power Rangers (with the mechanical theme that Rangers have to be able to transform in some way, and recoloring the characters' outfits to have bright primary colors), I say go for it. Especially if you can find some mechanical way to tie the character/party to your theme.

Of course, since this is Faerun... Anyone who violates the inn's neutrality policy will face the wrath of the proprietors. A level 10/11 illusionist/thief and a level 10 cleric are enough to make pretty much anyone around this part of the Sword Coast think twice. Even Ekandor, leader of those hunting Neera, is only a level 10 mage.

If you want to keep going into a sequel, the SoA campaign does give you the chance to tell everyone you recruit tht you're out for revenge on Irenicus.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    What awesomeness to buy FAI after finish tob ?
  • RaoRao Member Posts: 141
    LOL!