Skip to content

companion stops moving after a few steps

RyofuRyofu Member Posts: 268
I am experiencing a weird issue which i have never encountered before, i am playing a BGT EE playthrough after a long hiatus from BG. The game has played perfectly so far until i hit chapter 2? of BG2 EE where i have to get 20k gold for the thieves guild. Once i started this chapter i noticed that whenever i select all my party members to go somewhere one of them will randomly stop moving after a couple of steps.

Has anyone ever encountered this issue and is there a way to fix it? The party was moving perfectly fine before the chapter started when i was in waukeen's promenade and all the way from the start of BG EE thru SoD too. The game is extremely heavily modded as it is a BGT EE playthrough but previously i have never encountered this issue either.

My party is using standard attack and ranged scripts as their AI only and like i previously mentioned this issue only appears after i talk to calen and start chapter 2 of BG2 EE

Assistance would be greatly appreciated

Regards
Post edited by Ryofu on

Comments

• jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    This is a so-called stutter bug, the NPC is trying to initiate a dialogue but there is no valid dialogue available so the action loops. If you know your way around with Near Inifnity, you can install the Stutter Debug Tool. It will give you ingame the name and number of the script block that is causing the stutter. Looking it up with Near Infinity will give a clue of what is causing the stutter. Post the script block here for help.
  • RyofuRyofu Member Posts: 268
    edited May 2020
    jastey wrote: »
    This is a so-called stutter bug, the NPC is trying to initiate a dialogue but there is no valid dialogue available so the action loops. If you know your way around with Near Inifnity, you can install the Stutter Debug Tool. It will give you ingame the name and number of the script block that is causing the stutter. Looking it up with Near Infinity will give a clue of what is causing the stutter. Post the script block here for help.

Thank you for the info, however i need some more help. when i try to install the stutter debug tool i get an error message in weidu

EET detected.
    Copying and patching 6885 files ...

[A7Q5FES.BCS.BAF] PARSE ERROR at line 38 column 1-25
    Near Text: ActionOverride
    syntax error

[A7Q5FES.BCS.BAF] ERROR at line 38 column 1-25
    Near Text: ActionOverride
    Parsing.Parse_error
    ERROR: parsing [A7Q5FES.BCS.BAF]: Parsing.Parse_error
    ERROR: [A7Q5FES.BCS] -> [override/A7Q5FES.BCS] Patching Failed (COPY) (Parsing.Parse_error)
    Stopping installation because of error.
    Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Stutter Debug Tool -> Patching all scripts except NoAction() blocks - chose this when installing the first time (Installation could take a while!)], rolling back to previous state
    Will uninstall 219 files for [STUTTERDEBUG/STUTTERDEBUG.TP2] component 1.
    Uninstalled 219 files for [STUTTERDEBUG/STUTTERDEBUG.TP2] component 1.
    ERROR: Parsing.Parse_error
    Please make a backup of the file: SETUP-STUTTERDEBUG.DEBUG and look for support at: Jarno Mikkola & jastey
    Using Language [English]

I managed to install it with the 2nd option, but when i get ingame all i keep getting is a message saying running block 4 (the number changes from time to time) of baldur.bcs

Did i mess up something? what should i be seeing or looking out for? sorry this is the first time i have ever used this and i am a complete novice at nearinfinity

thanks
    This "running block x of script y" is exactly what the Debug Tool is about. Can you identify which script+block is the one causing the NPC to stutter? It should repeat and probably every time the NPC stops walking.
    edited May 2020
    bdbwdbatjan2.png
    This "running block x of script y" is exactly what the Debug Tool is about. Can you identify which script+block is the one causing the NPC to stutter? It should repeat and probably every time the NPC stops walking.

It is saying block 4,16,17,18,19 of baldur.bcs
    edited May 2020
    what do i do now? completely clueless atm lol.
    Make Near Infinity run and look up Badlur.bcs. Identify the script blocks that say "Running block 4 (15,17,19)" and post the contents here.
    edited May 2020
    i was reading the internet and it said that alot of these bugs come from dialogues screwing up. so i uninstalled Ieep banters which i had installed and it seems to have worked. hopefully it really has.

Thank you very much for your help.

Just out of curiosity, how would i go about identifying the script blocks on Near infinity? load up the baldur.bcs and look for ?
    Yes, open the baldur.bcs and look for the line where it says "Running block x " etc. then the whole block with this line inside is what we'd need.
    Do not forget to uninstall the Stutter Debug Tool or you'll be stuck with the text output (which could actually break some cutscenes I'm afraid.)
    Yes, open the baldur.bcs and look for the line where it says "Running block x " etc. then the whole block with this line inside is what we'd need.
    Do not forget to uninstall the Stutter Debug Tool or you'll be stuck with the text output (which could actually break some cutscenes I'm afraid.)

once i found that line, what would be the next step? do you delete the entire line?

sorry for asking so many questions i am curious so as to be able to fix these types of problems if i encounter them in the future

regards
    also i noticed something odd, previously when you travelled between areas at the start of BG2 there would be cutscene areas that you appear in with random enemies and certain events like the poisoned harper guy etc. after i removed the ieep banters and played from an older save before the problem occured these events do not seem to trigger. i have been travelling around athkatla and nothing. Could removing the banters mod have messed up my game? i really hope i don't have to reinstall my BGT. It took ages to download from beamdog and setup :(
    Ryofu wrote: »
    once i found that line, what would be the next step? do you delete the entire line?

sorry for asking so many questions i am curious so as to be able to fix these types of problems if i encounter them in the future
    If you know which script block is causing the stutter, you could identify (with help here in the forums) a variable you can set via cheat in the game so they stop. Only edit the scripts if you know what you are doing. :)

The random encounter areas are triggered with a certain randomnes so it's possible they do not triggr the same after loading an older save. They will come eventually.