Skip to content

[spoiler] Why doesn't Thrix want me to take the staff?

Glam_VrockGlam_Vrock Member Posts: 277
When he offers you the three items, he tells you the staff is a piece of garbage and you should take the sword or the helm instead. If you insist on the staff anyway, his reaction is weirdly subdued, almost annoyed, compared to how pleased he is if you take the other two. Am I missing something? Why does he want to keep his stick so badly?
Post edited by Glam_Vrock on

Comments

• Ryz009Ryz009 Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2020
    No clue. The staff isn't really super good or anything either. I never understood his reluctance.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    No idea either. Given the nature of fiendish bargains, it might be that the other two items have more subtle negative effects (for example, IIRC the sword is literally a fiend's tongue that was re-made into a weapon, right? If so, then carrying around that weapon would start to physically corrupt the user in time just by proximity to such evil). This is just speculation on my part, though.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    I think I know why.

Thrix is a demon according to the in-game files (race - demonic).

And the staff is devil's. "Echo of the Fiend" - "A devil of Avernus once possessed this gnarled wooden staff. Though the devil long since escaped from the staff, a residue of its essence permeated the weapon and lingers still. When a command word is spoken, an aura of fire springs up around anyone wielding the staff; though the flames leave the wielder untouched, they sear others with devastating heat."

You know, demons and devils don't like each other. https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Blood_War
  • Glam_VrockGlam_Vrock Member Posts: 277
    Aren't all the items devilish, though? The helmet has a devil's head engraved on it, and the sword "resembles a devil's tongue."

Also, Thrix is a demon? Are you sure? Isn't the [Demonic] race just a catch-all for fiends in general? Isn't his model derived from Fjhull Forked-Tongue, a cornugon? What's a demon doing working for a devil in Avernus to begin with?
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Yeah, considering that Belhifet himself is a baatezu, and you're all in Avernus (a demon in Avernus would be attacked on sight by any devil), if Thrix is listed as being a tanar'ri in the game files that's probably a mistake. XD
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I think I know why.

Thrix is a demon according to the in-game files (race - demonic).

And the staff is devil's. "Echo of the Fiend" - "A devil of Avernus once possessed this gnarled wooden staff. Though the devil long since escaped from the staff, a residue of its essence permeated the weapon and lingers still. When a command word is spoken, an aura of fire springs up around anyone wielding the staff; though the flames leave the wielder untouched, they sear others with devastating heat."

You know, demons and devils don't like each other. https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Blood_War

Thrix is not a demon. The fact that the race of both demons and devils is called "demonic" rather that "fiend" or something like that is just a quirk of the games' writing; it's not to imply that all the devils in these games are actually demons.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    Thrix is not a demon. The fact that the race of both demons and devils is called "demonic" rather that "fiend" or something like that is just a quirk of the games' writing; it's not to imply that all the devils in these games are actually demons.

Unless I'm missing something, the distinction is based on the CLASS attribute (offset 0x273 of the CRE file): IMP (devil) vs. TANARI (demon).
  • DorothyDorothy Member Posts: 1
    i think it's because it would be useless againts his master who is immune to fire. I don't remember correctly I might be wrong.