Skip to content

worst BG mods?

zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
currently looking into big moded version of baldur's gate trilogy and would like to know what mods i should avoid

the subpar mods from what i know are: Angelo, Dark Side of the Sword Coast, The Drizzt Saga

Comments

• LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,703
    Angelo is actually known for being quite good and of nice quality, as far as I know.
    I have to agree with @jastey - it all depends on version, what you like, dislike, expect and avoid. I can say I hate parsley and it's the worst thing ever, something I will always avoid, but on the other hand there are people who love it and who value its properties.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,673
    And Dark Side of the Sword Coast was revised, debugged, and nerfed. It still uses original game areas in a different context but that's because it was the first big BG mod and band width was really, really cubersome back then with your 56 kB modem.
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,062
    edited May 2020
    The only mods I could say to objectively avoid are buggy ones with no available support, otherwise it's really purely opinion.

For example, I would never download the archival 1.202 version of the Imoen Romance. It has no support (Because obviously the newer version is the one they are supporting) and gives poor treatment of some serious subject matters and non-consent situations with Imoen. It is a great learning experience though on how much improved a mod can go from its early version to its current version (3.9.6 of this post) if given the chance.

Unless a mod's last update was from years and years ago, many things you've read reviews about about are still worth trying, to echo the others.

Also Parsley is the best thing ever.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I'd put the Sandrah Saga up there as the worst mod. Poor writing, grammar errors, overpowered items given for free that you cannot get rid of, an overpowered mary sue self-insert that you cannot get rid of, you are FORCED to agree with everything said character says, she becomes the main character, etc. Its the worst kind of fanfictiony power fantasy.

Saerilith has a cringy romance and writing that has an odd tone.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Just like to bring to attention that Angelo is possibly (I would say likely, but assumptions) only on OP's list based off one reddit comment, from a player who judged purely based off portrait and soundset, without actually elaborating as such until questioned.

I hate to point fingers but I'm seeing a problem here.
    AionZ wrote: »
    that Angelo is possibly (I would say likely, but assumptions) only on OP's list based off one reddit comment, from a player who judged purely based off portrait and soundset, without actually elaborating as such until questioned.
    That's exactly what I was talking about...
    These general "this and that mod is utter trash / unplayable / completely buggy / not EET compatible at *all*" statements always stick longer to a mod than any detailed and fair review could. Jeesh.

• MothorMothor Member Posts: 245
    Angelo is actually known for being quite good and of nice quality, as far as I know.
    I have to agree with @jastey - it all depends on version, what you like, dislike, expect and avoid. I can say I hate parsley and it's the worst thing ever, something I will always avoid, but on the other hand there are people who love it and who value its properties.

I have never heard about Parsley. Is that a BG npc or quest mod?
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,703
    It's a crafting material dropped by some druids. Bleh.
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,062
    They're talking about actual parsley, to which I dispute their comments. :tongue:
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    nothing wrong with Angelo, I liked it.

such a list is rather pointless, but I somewhat am more sceptical about mods not published through the big modding communities - they tend to provide some quality assurance.
  • woogirlwoogirl Member Posts: 14
    I find this thread pretty offensive and pointless. I mean, mods are completely optional, and FREE, and even if you think one mod is stupid, buggy or unnecessary, nobody is forcing you to play it. On the other hand there is someone who spent hours modding an old game for free just as a hobby.

Just read the description of the mods to see what they are about and if they are uptdated, and if you dont like what you see, move on to next one. There is no need for such a troll list.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited May 2020
    i think its not pointless TBH

look at
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    I'd put the Sandrah Saga up there as the worst mod. Poor writing, grammar errors, overpowered items given for free that you cannot get rid of, an overpowered mary sue self-insert that you cannot get rid of, you are FORCED to agree with everything said character says, she becomes the main character, etc. Its the worst kind of fanfictiony power fantasy.

Saerilith has a cringy romance and writing that has an odd tone.

thatts a perefect example of what i am looking for
    edited May 2020
    @ThacoBell would you please add the version number of Sandrah Saga you are referring to?
    The mod already went through changes (started as a BGT mod, now doesn't support BGT any longer for example).

Comments like yours spiral easily into "well known rumors" like the Imoen Romance suffers from until today although it was changed and rewritten in parts.

EDIT: Or Edwin Romance, now revised and updated: rumor is "overwrites Edwin's script and is incompatible with Ascension" - no longer true.
    Or Northern Tales of the Sword Coast, now revised and updated: rumor is "totally buggy, you need to play the quests in a certain order and talk to characters in a certain order or you'll get stuck, totally overpowered loot" - no longer true.

But it STICKS and that S*CKS.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Worst mod, huh? Well, I've got exactly what you're looking for! I have a mod that deletes all your BG games, so you can no longer play them! Also, it only costs 420.69 USD! Believe me, it's the worst mod ever! >:)
    @jastey I mean, Sandrah Saga itself is a very flawed concept. Unless the mod was completely changed from the ground up, it being updated means nothing.
    @ThacoBell You are doing exactly what I was asking people not to do. Even if you think a mod so horrible without any hope - it might be changed in the future.
    jastey wrote: »
    @ThacoBell You are doing exactly what I was asking people not to do. Even if you think a mod so horrible without any hope - it might be changed in the future.

Like I said before, it would have to be completely changed from the ground up. Like, compltely remove Sandrah altogether. At that point, its a different mod. No amount of updates would change the fundamental fact that I think the very concept of the mod itself is bad.

The good or bad of a mod is entirely subjective. You jumping down people's throats for having an opinion on them doesn't change that.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,356
    Hmm. I think it’s a topic that may easily get the better of us.

I actually like all mods that where made by the community and with respect of the community... it doesn’t fit all, but 99,9%

But of the 99,9% there are some mods that I like better than others. It’s all about taste and preferences.

I liked the Imoen Romance.
    I always take Sarileth along
    You get 2 tomes when you finish WK - I am sucker for such things
    I likely mega mods, and didn’t find NtoSC buggy (compared to Bonehill at least - which I also like).
    So the aren’t the worst, but just different.

But if I most point out something, that is not a favourite of mine, it has to be any mod with Drizzt in it. I just can’t stand the meddlesome guy and his friends - even though I play good aligned characters. It’s a personal thing, and it’s not something that can warrant a bad review of the “Drizzt mods”. But Drizzt saga is not a favourite in my book and Region of Terror definitely isn’t either!!

But since we all can agree that it boils down to preferences (and the 0,1%...), I would say that there aren’t any bad mods, but the audience taste differs. So if you like me cant stand Drizzt, steer clear of Drizzt saga and Region of terror.

Ps. And try to be opened minded and respectful...
This discussion has been closed.