Skip to content

IWD EE Keeps Freezing

ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
Trying to run IWD:EE v2.5.17.0 and the game freezes for about 30 seconds when its opened. It freezes on exiting menus, changing areas, and freezes for long on a save. Oh, I also can't ALT/Tab without it freezing when I come back to it. On a clean install, so no mods to blame. Anybody have any ideas?

Comments

• GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @ThacoBell, take a look at this and see if it fixes your prob.

Good Luck
    Gus
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Gusinda No, it doesn't fix the problem. Still getting lengthy freezes, even just trying to start up the game. Baldur's Gate 1, 2, and SoD don't do this at all.
    @ThacoBell, I am guessing here that you are running on a Windows 10 platform. Are you using Steam/GoG release? If so, another prob may be that you are using a cloud save.

A common problem that existed was the backend engine being used. Could you try and change it to the alt graphics. It can be done in the options menu or editing baldur.lua:

Find the line:
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Backend','0')
    and change it to:
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Backend','1')

It uses DirextX 9, so it would need to be installed as well even though you may have DirectX11 - they do exist nicely together.

Hope that helps
    Gus
    edited May 2020
    Yeah, I'm on Win10. Its the Beamdog version, so from their launcher. I'll try the graphics thing and get back.

*EDIT*

@Gusinda Um, neither of those lines are in the file at all. The only lua file is "engine.lua"

Here's the entirety of its contents:

engine_name = "Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition"
    engine_mode = 2 -- 0 = BGEE, 1 = BG2EE, 2 = IWDEE
    edited May 2020
    Crap, okay. I decided to test SoD again, since I played it recently without any issues, and its now doing the exact same thing. This wasn't an issue two days ago. Yesterday, windows updated. I bet the update broke something.

*edit*

I'm gonna do a system maintenance and get back.
    @ThacoBell, baldur.lua is found in the documents are where your saved games are stored.

Interesting, I also received the update but haven't yet played any games. I will try later today. It sounds like it could be a reversion of your video card drivers (Windows likes to think it knows better when it comes to drivers). See if you can trackdown an update (or even the last driver you may have had) and install that over the windows driver. If you can't find one, let me know what the card is or run 'DXDIAG' after pressing WIN-R and upload the result, and I will track one down for you.

I have to disappear right now, but will be online later in the day.

Gus
    Its definitely the new update. I'm getting freezes and stutters computer wide now. I rolled the updates back and some of the issues are fixed, but some games are still getting horrible freezes and stutters (The IE games among them). Something is bad with the computer's disc now too, its constantly working at 100% capacity, even tough there are no programs running that even come close to hitting capacity for it.
    Hi @ThacoBell, sorry I couldn't make it back yesterday but it all got a bit busy..

I tried my main PC but it wasn't impacted the same way; yet to try a notebook as having the same prob would give me something to fault find...

Would you be able to run DXDIAG from WIN-R and upload the results. For seeing what is going on with capacity, you should be able to have a look using the built-in Resource Monitor (WIN-R and type resmon). It might give you an understanding as to what is happening. I am still thinking it is probably a driver issue. Guessing the game didn't work well with the DirectX alternate engine change over either...

Unfortunately you can only hold back the update for a little while before it forces its way back.

Gus
    Sigh, I wouldn't have had much for you yesterday anyway. I deleted the updates, ran repair in the command prompt, re-installed all audio and graphics drivers. My computer is running at normal speeds again, and the 100% disk usage has been fixed.

Still having issues with games though. Those haven't improved at all. And yeah, I tried the DirectX alternate. I'm hoping that MS puts out am update fix within the 30 days I can stop updates.
    IT WORKS. Been getting help over the last couple days from a VERY patient @mlnevese . Turns out my antivrus corrupted. I didn't even know that was a thing.

Thank you @Gusinda for the game troubleshooting as well. The forums can always count on you to help.
    Well done to @mlnevese, happy to know that all is well in the gaming household again.

Gus
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I'm glad I could help :)

nxvlhhva1f2o.jpg

Why does that look both suspicious and friendly at the same time?