Skip to content

Conspiracy Theory?

NeverwinterWightsNeverwinterWights Member Posts: 339
What if the reason Beamdog hasn't been talking much about Neverwinter Nights:EE or the renderer updates is because they are secretly working on that brand new Nevewinter Nights 3 type game that we have all been hoping and praying for?

Edit: Accidentally put this in wrong area. Should've been NWN:EE General Discussion.
Post edited by NeverwinterWights on

Comments

• FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    What if the new renderer is secretly equipped with neural networks that use 5G for distributed cloud services that simulate AI dungeon masters and send people free VR pizzas made possible with 64-bit programming?

You never know, it's certainly possible.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    NWN3 would be a very smart mpve, considering thar D&D 5e has gained a whole new generation of players.
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    The new game might be a similar type game to NWN, but it's been stated (I believe) that Beamdog is not going to be developing from an existing IP such as D&D for the new game.

My opinion is that NWN:EE is NWN3 (at least for now!).
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    I'm holding out hope for something NWN-related. The upgraded weapons they were releasing look great, and they've had plenty of time to work on other models. Giving out copies of NWN has been my go-to method to turn friends into DnD fans, and it hasn't failed me.
    Just hear me out okay...

2021: NWN HD ($20)
    2022: NWN HD Remix 1.5 ($30)
    2023: NWN Remaster ($40)
    2028: NWN Remake - Part 1 ($60)
    2029: NWN Remake - Part 2 ($60)
    2032: NWN Remake - Part 3 ($60)
    2042: NWN Remake - Anniversary Edition - Red Version($150)
    2042: NWN Remake - Anniversary Edition - Blue Version($150)
  • CerabelusCerabelus Member Posts: 385
    edited May 2020
    Beamdog are working on a D&D style free to play MMO but this time the D&D attack rolls can be rerolled.

Did you just cast a LVL 10 Fireball and rolled 16 damage? Well now you can click the reroll button for $1 and for an additional $2 you can add your second roll to the first and for $5 you can get the full 60 damage from that fireball.

Did you just find some scrub non magical breastplate and you feel that it was suppose to be +1? Well for just $5 you can add +1 to any scrub items you find and for $15 you can even get +2.

And don't forget these features will only be available to Beamdog First subscription holders for the low low price of $100 a year...what are you waiting for? Sign up today for early access and get your very own canvas Bag of Holding.
  • Ɲ????Ʀ????Ɲ????Ʀ???? Member Posts: 29
    What if the reason Beamdog hasn't been talking much about Neverwinter Nights:EE or the renderer updates is because they are secretly working on that brand new Nevewinter Nights 3 type game that we have all been hoping and praying for?

It would be nice if that were the truth, but the realist in me says it's wishful thinking. The optimist in me, however, still hopes that it will happen one day. Doesn't even matter if it is or isn't Beamdog that does it.
  • DrakonDrakon Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2020
    Whether it's made by Beamdog or not, there's still a big opportunity for a successor to NWN. BG3 by Larian will not be it - turn based makes large scale flexible player worlds an impossibility (unless they instance combat Final Fantasy style, which would be lame).

The recipe is Real-Time with tabletop rules + great builder tools and multiplayer support.
    I would assume there is something to be said for who makes a particular product rather than just assuming the title as an IP trademark or as a spiritual successor. A lot of the things made by people 20 years ago isn't going to have much to do with anything made 20 years later by different people. Products are created from the vision of people, change the people and you change the vision, change the vision and you change the product.

Taking the BG3 example I'm also sure Larian will make a wonderful game but I can't see how it would be a successor to the original series which the creators seem to have said wrapped up as the trilogy of Baldur's Gate + Shadows of Amn + Throne of Bhaal. I don't see it being a likely successor to NWN either, as NWN was not created the way it was as a matter of happenstance and a byproduct of telling the story of The Wailing Death. I'm sure we'll know when something could be a spiritual successor to NWN when the developers start talking about things that sound like "D&D in a box" and the power to create your own endless adventures.
  • AncarionAncarion Member Posts: 155
    If anyone does ever decide to take on this massive project, my only advice to them is to listen to their target audience, and give them what they ask for. Obsidian only did so begrudgingly with NWN2, and barely avoided failure. And we all know what happened to Sword Coast Legends after those guys willfully ignored everything people on their forums were telling them. DM Threat indeed! The people these games are directed at have very strong ideas of what they want, and are quick to turn on any developer who thinks they know better.
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    @Drakon Don't forget a key ingredient to that recipe: The always useful Pause and Play feature.

@Ancarion I know that's right. After almost 14 years of having my OCD triggered hard by the Attack Bonus Miscalculation Bug, I've decided to put NWN:EE on the shelf for a while. My job is very labor-intensive, stressing me both physically and emotionally, as I am tasked with unloading wooden pallets of freight from trucks in a timely manner to avoid any driver delivering the freight being on detention time. I don't get paid by the hour, I get paid per truck. My pay is based on my production, and until now, NWN (either Classic or EE) had been my go-to way of relaxing after a hard day's work. With seemingly no fast-approaching fix to this issue in sight, relaxation is the furthest thing from my mind. That's why I reactivated my subscription to WoW and purchased a 6-month block of game time on July 1. At least on that game, I don't have to worry about my warrior's combat ability getting handicapped by the game's own combat UI. Ain't that some shit? If the devs haven't fixed this bug by the time my subscription expires, I reckon I'll just buy another 6 months. Now more than ever, we all play games as a temporary escape from reality, not to be reminded how real life can suck in the one place that's supposed to be our sanctuary. Thank you for reading, and happy (healthy) gaming to all.
  • frankynowellfrankynowell Member Posts: 2
    Just hear me out okay...

2021: NWN HD ($20)
    2022: NWN HD Remix 1.5 ($30)
    2023: NWN Remaster ($40)
    2028: NWN Remake - Part 1 ($60)
    2029: NWN Remake - Part 2 ($60)
    2032: NWN Remake - Part 3 ($60)
    2042: NWN Remake - Anniversary Edition - Red Version($150)
    2042: NWN Remake - Anniversary Edition - Blue Version($150)

:s