Skip to content

Is it okay if I add new NPC mods to EET on an existing game save?

lollerslollers Member Posts: 190
I'm pretty vanilla aside from SCS and a bit of tweak anthology. I have quite a few quest and NPC mods on already, so there is a chance that they might try and compete with each other. I'm not really concerned very much about the possibility of the SCS modifcations not working with added NPC mods because I do not expect them to add much to the quests and combat encounters.

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Nooooooooo. You NEVER want to add mods to a run in progress. It breaks the dialogue files at a bare minimum.
    megamike15
  • masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Nooooooooo. You NEVER want to add mods to a run in progress. It breaks the dialogue files at a bare minimum.

I've actually always wondered how this works when you have a mod with a critical update (i.e. trying to upgrade rather than add new).
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Some things can be hotfixed fairly safely. A change that replaces existing resources without adding anything new is fairly safe, with the caveat that saves include copies of some resources when they're changed in play. Changing areas that have already been visited, characters that have been in the party, or stores that have been shopped at isn't going to do anything.

Anything that adds new resources, particularly dialogue bits - bad idea. Lots of things run by index reference, and throwing that off will put up nonsense in all sorts of unexpected places. Some things will get updated, some things that are already in the save won't be, and it'll all be a confused mess like what happens to character sound sets when you import from Black Pits 1 to Black Pits 2.

Updates to larger mods generally run on an uninstall/reinstall paradigm. Given everything that changes, this is not recommended while games are in progress. For example, I'm not going to install SCS v33 until my current SCS v32 run is over.
    ThacoBell
  • lollerslollers Member Posts: 190
    Does it count as a new game if I import a siege of dragonspear character into BG2? Also, can I skip SoD? I like it, but I like BG2 more.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    lollers wrote: »
    Does it count as a new game if I import a siege of dragonspear character into BG2? Also, can I skip SoD? I like it, but I like BG2 more.

Starting a new game should be fine, even with importing a character. One caveat though, NPC kits tend to screw up imports, since BG1 and BG2 have a different order for their kitlist. So the imported character will have the wrong kit after import. You need a save editor to fix that.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669

If you are talking about EET then yes, skipping SoD by importing a character into BGII counts as a new game and not a continuous one. There are ways to skip SoD ingame, though (with mods or cheats Link1, Link2).
  • lollerslollers Member Posts: 190
    Am I risking any type of irreversible damage if I rename the modified BG1 and BG2 folders which I am using for my current playthrough and put the unmodified versions back where GOG puts its games? I want to start up second version of EET with a different set of mods.
    jastey wrote: »

If you are talking about EET then yes, skipping SoD by importing a character into BGII counts as a new game and not a continuous one. There are ways to skip SoD ingame, though (with mods or cheats Link1, Link2).

Thanks. I actually kind of like the two hours I've spent in sod already and have just met Irenicus at the palace. It is only my second time through in as many years, so I'll just keep going through and i will probably like it. I just kind of look at sod as an unskippable side-quest and I like having options. you know?

• jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    @lollers
    Am I risking any type of irreversible damage if I rename the modified BG1 and BG2 folders which I am using for my current playthrough and put the unmodified versions back where GOG puts its games? I want to start up second version of EET with a different set of mods.
    That's actually the recommended way of doing a modded game: copy the whole main folder (for me it's e.g. "00766" for BG:EE) somewhere else, rename it to whatever you want (or leave the same name, for what it's worth), and mod this copy. This way, the original folders can be patched and updated and restored without breaking your modded runthrough (and you always have a fresh copy in case the modded install turns out to be borked).
    I would recommend copying it to somewhere not C:Programs, though, as Windows is usually overly protective in that area.
    You can have as many copies of the game(s) on your system as you want.