Skip to content

[Baldur's Gate II: EE] Can't connect with friend whatsoever.

xBigEvilxBigEvil Member Posts: 3
My friend and I have just bought the game, like a few hours ago, and wanted to play it together while waiting for the third chapter (we never played the game before). We have the steam version and when trying to connect to the lobby we are stuck in "waiting for information from server". This happens for both of us, with password or without password and even with direct connect. We spent the last hour or so trying to google solutions or trying different things, so far nothing worked. We looked for the game version, which is the same since we are on steam. We have no mods installed, we tried adding a firewall but it was already allowed, we tried starting the game without logging on steam and now he had to go so Im trying to look for help for tomorrow. Also in the lobby list I see lobbies with players so my first thought "they closed the servers and im stupid" doesnt fit. I don't have an anti-virus, he disabled his while trying. The only difference in our games is that he bought a key instead of buying it directly on steam, I got it directly through steam. I dont really think this is relevant in any way. Its just that we dont get any error, we're just stuck at "waiting for information from server" so I dont really know what to do.

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    If you can see other games in the lobby I assume the problem is not with connecting to the lobby, but connecting to a game you've tried to set up. One possible reason for that is a poor internet connection for one of you. That can be affected by lots of things, but you could use a broadband checker to see how good your connections are. If that suggests it might be the problem and you're using wi-fi, you could try using a wired connection instead.
  • xBigEvilxBigEvil Member Posts: 3
    Grond0 wrote: »

We are both on a high speed internet, so I dont think its a problem of internet quality. Also we didnt have any problem with other games that uses similar methods like divinity original sin 2

While we tried to check the firewall and the game already had permission, we didnt do any port-forwarding. I didnt think it was still a thing with the steam version and would be my first time doing it for a game, so I didnt occur to me. Just to be sure: is port-forwarding required to play multiplayer in Baldur's Gate II EE 2.5 on steam?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    The store you bought the game from doesn't matter much in this regard.
  • xBigEvilxBigEvil Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2020
    The store you bought the game from doesn't matter much in this regard.

Got it, thanks for the help and sorry for the incompetence from my part. Its the first time we try to play an old school game online and never encountered this issue. Tomorrow we will try to do the port-forwarding and I will reply to this post if it works!