Skip to content

Beamdog Client corrupted my SoD install

ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
Posted this in Troubleshooting, but I completely missed this section. copying here, and mods can remove the less appropriate thread.

Started up the launcher to play some BG, when it tried to install SoD randomly. But SoD was already installed. Now the files are corrupted and it gives me this error:

Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear (Retail) has encountered an error while installing. Error code: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. Please verify the game under the options menu or try reinstall the game. Please contact Beamdog support if the problem persists.

I cannot verify the game files, or attempt to re-install the game. I try to launch the game directly from the exe, and it hangs on "Downloading game". But the game is downloaded, and I played it just last night.

And trying to run my backup install prompts the stand alone launcher to attempt to re-download the entire game for some reason. What the crap is going on?

I've attempted to contact the service desk for a different error over a week ago, and never got a reply. I'm not holding my breath that they reply to this issue. Hopefully someone in thread can help.

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Have you tried manually deleting the SoD folder before reinstalling?

Presumably you've not noticed any other oddities with your computer (if so that might suggest a virus).
    OrlonKronsteenJuliusBorisov
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Grond0 I did indeed try deleting it. Kept getting "Can't delete, corrupted and un readable."

For several hours, that was it. But now I'm having major problems with my disk drive spiking up to 100% activity despite not running anything that would take it anywhere near there, or my computer freezing un recoverably about 15 minutes after starting up. I've restarted it half a dozen times today running different disc checks and repairs. I doubt its a virus, I have good protection. I'm worried my hardware might just be dying.
    Grond0JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Try a full wipe and reinstall. If the files are not deleted, uninstall programs using Windows tools.
    ThacoBell
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    I doubt its a virus, I have good protection. I'm worried my hardware might just be dying.

Jeeze, that sucks. Wishing you luck.

ThacoBell
    My whole computer went to pot a few hours after 2 music files corrupted in SoD. Since last night, I've done a factory reset. So far, this is the longest my computer has functioned since yesterday afternoon. We'll see if this works.
    Grond0
    HD is definitely dying. Sigh
    OrlonKronsteen
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    I find these situations can be a blessing and/or a curse. Pro: it's always nice to have an upgraded computer. Con: the financial timing never seems to be great.
    When you live under the poverty line, there's no such thing as good financial timing :smiley:
    OrlonKronsteenPrince_Raymond