Skip to content

Attn: Those Who Have Not Pre-Ordered

Comments

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited October 2012
    Tarquin said:

ghostowl said:

@TJ_hooker Yeah I don't mean to piss off any veterans here. I'm just saying that Beamdog could have attracted many more sales from PC players(such as me) if they only chose to add in slightly more main plot content/more storyline

I'm assuming you don't realize that Beamdog did not "chose" to limit their changes thusly, they are contractually obligated by the IP holders to modify existing content or make plot changes.

I am also highly sceptical about those few people who stop by the forums complaining about what BG:EE doesn't do, and how if it only had features X, Y, or Z, they would buy it. Look, BG:EE has a huge number of improvements (and no, you can't get them all from just modding--not even close) and new content. If that's not worth $20 to you, I quite frankly don't believe that any new features would convince you to buy BG:EE...
    But they choose to sign this terrible contract, if they did it cos this partial assignment of rights was cheaper, if was the only deal offered or if they never had the intent of enhance the game past the superficial points... i really dunno, what i know is that among game companies this was the first time i noticed an peculiar assignment of rights in the way they did it (although i'm not an expert on the matter, neither did i search for the subject).

So i ask myself, Bioware sold the game rights to ATARI, but what ATARI sold/lend to Beamdog?

By the way @bigdogchris, only people that pre-ordered can be here? What about the people that want to wait for the game to release to order it? Can't they be here suggesting features and discussing with us? I think this is a little too harsh and reckless (renegade? XD) to generalize. Some people can be here just because this is the most active BG forum that exist on the moment, and many issues on the old games can be solved here also.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    Brude said:

There's no incentive to pre-order. This is a digital game. A whopping $2 discount is meaningless.

Pre-ordering made more sense 10 years ago when you wanted to insure that your local store would reserve a copy for you on launch day. Or if you wanted special DLC stuff. Or a collector's box.

Beamsog isn't offering any of that, so why would I give them $20 now?

$2 is not one, but TWO large Cokes at Mickey D's son!
  • CuanCuan Member Posts: 38
    Delvarian said:

I'm buying it on iPad so no preorder for me. I'm not sure what all the people who are not interested in this game are doing hanging around the boards.

The same reason people walk into a shop with no intention of buying anything.

• bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited October 2012
    kamuizin said:

Tarquin said:

ghostowl said:

@TJ_hooker Yeah I don't mean to piss off any veterans here. I'm just saying that Beamdog could have attracted many more sales from PC players(such as me) if they only chose to add in slightly more main plot content/more storyline

I'm assuming you don't realize that Beamdog did not "chose" to limit their changes thusly, they are contractually obligated by the IP holders to modify existing content or make plot changes.

I am also highly sceptical about those few people who stop by the forums complaining about what BG:EE doesn't do, and how if it only had features X, Y, or Z, they would buy it. Look, BG:EE has a huge number of improvements (and no, you can't get them all from just modding--not even close) and new content. If that's not worth $20 to you, I quite frankly don't believe that any new features would convince you to buy BG:EE...
    But they choose to sign this terrible contract, if they did it cos this partial assignment of rights was cheaper, if was the only deal offered or if they never had the intent of enhance the game past the superficial points... i really dunno, what i know is that among game companies this was the first time i noticed an peculiar assignment of rights in the way they did it (although i'm not an expert on the matter, neither did i search for the subject).

So i ask myself, Bioware sold the game rights to ATARI, but what ATARI sold/lend to Beamdog?

By the way @bigdogchris, only people that pre-ordered can be here? What about the people that want to wait for the game to release to order it? Can't they be here suggesting features and discussing with us? I think this is a little too harsh and reckless (renegade? XD) to generalize. Some people can be here just because this is the most active BG forum that exist on the moment, and many issues on the old games can be solved here also.
    Since none of us were in the meeting with them during negotiations, I think it's unfair to criticize them for signing a contract that did not allow manipulation of existing IP, it may of been the only option.

As for my other statement, keep in mind it was said tongue-in-cheek. I was talking directly to the people who have no intention on buying because they feel mods are the same, but for free.

I feel that BG:EE is going to be the new foundation for Infinity Engine modding for years to come. I expect most existing mods, that fix things not addressed in BG:EE, will be ported over to this edition. I also expect a lot of new mods and content to be created for this game. That said, the people not willing to spend 20 measly dollars for a game that they love, that has been completely gutted of old and unoptimized code, and rebuilt for modern operating systems and modding, will probably never be happy regardless of what is done. Some people don't understand or appreciate what goes on behind the scenes, they only look at the end product and only want to see 'BG in BG2 engine' and think it's the same as Tutu or BGT, which is totally inaccurate.

• creator1629creator1629 Member Posts: 66
    a lot of the arguments here are true, pre-ordering doesn't have any really good bonuses, and since it is a digital copy there aren't going to be any shortages, but i did it simply to support the developers. to be quite honest if it had cost 25-30 dollars, id have done it anyway for that same reason. i have a friend who says that this isn't going to be worth the 20 dollars, this coming from a guy who spends an average of 40 dollars to see movies he already knows he probably isn't going to like
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    To be fair, I don't think think the official information sources, ie the "FAQ" and "List if Things That Have Been Announced" threads, do full justice to what's being added. I know that for most of the frequent forum-goers, the argument that BGEE lacks sufficient content to justify it's price seems stupid. But in some ways I don't blame people who have only read the "official" threads and walk away thinking "I can get almost all of this through mods for free, why would I pay $20 for it?" I actually sort of thought this way myself for a bit, until I had spent some time on the forums reading about all the stuff they're doing.

And you might say, "Well these people should spend time reading the forums, rather than spouting off in ignorance." The thing is, a lot of people have better things to do, and, more importantly, potential customers really shouldn't have to go out of their way to find out why a product is a good deal. I've actually been toying with the idea of making a "Rebuttals to common complaints" thread that would address the common concerns that people are having, so that when BGEE supporters want to refute someone's complaints, they can just refer them to that thread.

There are some people who come here just to bitch, with no intentions of actually buying the game no matter what you say to them. But sometimes people come to these forums with legitimate complaints, people who would probably have no problem buying BGEE if a few things were explained to them, and they end up getting their heads bitten off because a BGEE supporter, weary from having explained these things so many times, mistakenly lumps them in with the trolls. And then that supporter actually cost Beamdog a customer, which is a shame.
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    I also recall Trent (or someone else) saying that those of us who pre-ordered prior to the delay will get something special. So more power to us! :p

Besides, it's only $20 and it's going to Overhaul, not EA or some other wackjob. I don't mind supporting them out of principle alone.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    ekster said:

I also recall Trent (or someone else) saying that those of us who pre-ordered prior to the delay will get something special. So more power to us! :p

Besides, it's only $20 and it's going to Overhaul, not EA or some other wackjob. I don't mind supporting them out of principle alone.

Sucks even more to be a mac user.
  • PainbringerPainbringer Member Posts: 17
    edited October 2012
    I haven’t preordered yet cause I want to play it in Russian and it is not supported yet officially (correct me if I’m wrong). But I will order it and I’ll order BG2:EE as well just to support developers, because most of all I want to see BG3!
  • TarquinTarquin Member Posts: 41

I feel that BG:EE is going to be the new foundation for Infinity Engine modding for years to come. I expect most existing mods, that fix things not addressed in BG:EE, will be ported over to this edition. I also expect a lot of new mods and content to be created for this game. That said, the people not willing to spend 20 measly dollars for a game that they love, that has been completely gutted of old and unoptimized code, and rebuilt for modern operating systems and modding, will probably never be happy regardless of what is done. Some people don't understand or appreciate what goes on behind the scenes, they only look at the end product and only want to see 'BG in BG2 engine' and think it's the same as Tutu or BGT, which is totally inaccurate.

This exactly. Well said. The people who claim that BG:EE is just the same as mods (like Tutu) are basically just wrong.

How good BG:EE will be remains to be seen (frustratingly). If Beamdog does what they say they are doing, Baldur's Gate will be played for years to come.

• VikingRVikingR Member Posts: 88
    I'm gonna preorder next week. This game is a definite purchase for me.
    I'm also hoping that those who preordered the game, get it some days earlier as is announced on the website.

I've only tried BG when it originally came out - yet never finished it because, back then, I had no idea how the game worked. Still, I loved it. It's gonna be like a first time playthrough for me. I guess that's a privilege, lol.
  • awin123awin123 Member Posts: 55
    I pre-ordered already but I don't personally care about a badge I just want the game. That being said I really wish I didn't, because a day after I pre-ordered the delay was announced and made me instantly regret trusting another pre-order service.

$2 off isn't much incentive to spend money on a game that's already proven to not stick to deadlines and I still feel slighted to this day over the last minute, no explanation delay. People that want BG:EE will buy it one way or another, and I don't blame anyone for not wanting to spend money on the game until it's actually out and playable.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459

Some people don't understand or appreciate what goes on behind the scenes, they only look at the end product and only want to see 'BG in BG2 engine' and think it's the same as Tutu or BGT, which is totally inaccurate.

Quoted for truth.
    TJ_Hooker said:

sometimes people come to these forums with legitimate complaints, people who would probably have no problem buying BGEE if a few things were explained to them, and they end up getting their heads bitten off because a BGEE supporter, weary from having explained these things so many times, mistakenly lumps them in with the trolls.

In defense of some, ahem, aggressive supporters of the EE, most of the people you mentioned don't create threads in a tone of "I'd like to know more to see if this is worth my money." They usually already concluded that it's not worth it and just proceed to create yet another condescending thread as to put down other folks as stupid or gullible because they're just "paying for what mods have done for years." - that's a terrible argument for more than one reason, and it can be tiresome reading it over and over.
    edited October 2012
    I'd like to challenge those Windows users who have not-preordered, to pre-order.

Pre-ordering shows your interest in this type of game play and promises to Beamdog and Overhaul that you want to do the right thing and buy the game, because without people buying it, more games like this are not going to happen.
  • drjekldrjekl Member Posts: 35
    ekster said:

I just tried to pre-order and it looks the $2 discount for PC pre-order has been removed (unless its at checkout, if someone could confirm). Plus this 'something special' that Trent promised is only for those that pre-ordered prior to the delay. Is that correct? If both of these things are true why would anyone pre-order, especially when no gameplay footage has been released? I would be willing to order right now if both things were false, but will wait till post release otherwise.
    Yeah, the $2 discount is gone. People who pre-ordered before the delay receive a different badge than those who pre-order after the delay. Maybe that's what he's talking about?
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited October 2012
    I preordered, but haven't bothered anybody about it.

As for the 20$. I already paid 40ish for BG I when it came out, then another 20$ish for TotSC. Then I paid another 10$ because my original 6 disk BG1 (counting the ToTSC disk) had ceased to function. They literally became flimsy and the that plastic art covering had faded through due to use. So I grabbed a 15$ copy of the 3 disk set. That's what I'm playing on right now, but of course they're also pretty worn too - I suppose I could try out GoG etc, but this is exactly what I'd get on GoG + added goodies and me not having to dredge the internet for all the fix packs etc, so I may as well. I also hope that BG:EE will hold up better - because I have a fancy pants-mcgee keyboard and it does not work with the IE games - so I have to plug in an old one just to play (yes I use 2 keyboards as a result).
  • ZinodinZinodin Member Posts: 153
    I'm buying it for the PC eventually. Firstly, I am buying it for the iPad at launch as planned months ago. (Rrrrrgh! Still angreh! .. lol jk)

Ugh. Also, the reason they're not changing too much of the main content is also because of the lore. There have been too many books and games basing their lore somewhat on the events of Baldur's Gate I and II to start heavily altering the game now. That's why they're not doing drastic changes to pre-existing content. Yes, there is also the legal ramifications for messing too much with other writer's works. These are two great arguements for why BG isn't changed too much.

However, not altering the main quest isn't a bad thing. I really don't care that the main quest remains the same because the main quest is f***king great! If a game is good, then it's worth replaying. To quote Jim Sterling: "Now if you excuse me, I'm off purchase every song on iTunes out there becasue heaven forbid I listen to the same song twice." Before that quote he also said that he thinks people insult their own intelligence if you say you can't go without fresh stiumlation at all times. So personally, I would love a more polished version of the game, with new official cannon lore added to it, with future DLC planned. That is awesome! It's like buying the Live-DVD of a well-performed Metallica concert. Not only that, but Overhaul Games actually made the medium to be available on different platforms; PC, Macs, Tablets.. For a reasonable price of a 'pizza' as earlier mentioned.

Now some might say they don't want it, but I'm just gonna look at these people weirdly while asbent-mindedly throw money at Overhaul. ... HURRY UP ALREADY, YOU STUPID GAME STUDIO! ME, NEERA AND RASAAD ARE FORMING A FAERUNIAN STAR TREK SHOW! A problem shall occur. Rasaad will be the logical cool headed person and suggest the most logical approach to the problem, much like Spock. Neera will be the chaotic, whimsical voice of excitement and unpredictableness that will surprise our enemies..! And it'll be up to me, the captain (yes, now shut up), to find a middle ground between both sides and reach the pinnacle of awesomeness... Awesomemania.... The Scatman's World...

Legal notes from this post: Overhaul Studio and Beam Dog are together a fantastic game developer studio, and the poster of this post is being satirical! He actually loves the studio ! ... Now hurry up and release BG: EE :P
  • FigrutFigrut Member Posts: 109
    I already preordered despite a leering suspicion if this makes money, then immediately after somebody will get permission to remake it properly and iron out inconsistancies between the games, add drool worthy content and features, fix up dialog options ect. and get me to buy it a 4th time.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    @Kilivitz
    Yeah I agree with you there. When someone comes and says something like "Pfft, does Beamdog think I'm stupid? Why would I pay $20 for something I get for free from mods. What a ripoff." then I really don't care how they get treated.
    And I understand supporters losing their patience once and a while, even with people who aren't just trolling. It can get pretty grating arguing the same things over and over. Which is why I'm thinking that having some kind of compiled thread addressing common complaints would be beneficial to both parties, as supporters can take a rest from constantly having to defend BGEE, while legitimate forum goers (ie people who may actually buy the game given the right circumstances) can get the information they need.
  • IcallhimlecobraIcallhimlecobra Member Posts: 59
    Ive been toying with the idea of pre-ordering for a while now, however I would like to see some more up to date screenshots and maybe some gameplay footage. The fact that the game is due out in only a month and there has been no new updates for a while has me concerned. Id rather keep my money in my wallet for the time being until I feel I can make better informed purchasing decision.
    edited October 2012

Ive been toying with the idea of pre-ordering for a while now, however I would like to see some more up to date screenshots and maybe some gameplay footage. The fact that the game is due out in only a month and there has been no new updates for a while has me concerned. Id rather keep my money in my wallet for the time being until I feel I can make better informed purchasing decision.

The screenshots released show the new UI, so nothing in screen shots is really going to change. I do agree with you about gameplay video though. I can't imagine that they can't get 30 seconds of contiguous gameplay working right, showing the new UI in action and zooming features. We'd like to see it, especially this close to release. If those features still are not working at this point in development, we're really in trouble.

Post edited by bigdogchris on
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Maybe we need a stickied thread about this? Discussing what the EE gives vs. what's available now. We DO keep getting threads debating it...

And I don't just mean a list of features. Just one stickied post addressing each argument and presenting the counterpoint.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560

I'd like to challenge those Windows users who have not-preordered, to pre-order.

Pre-ordering shows your interest in this type of game play and promises to Beamdog and Overhaul that you want to do the right thing and buy the game, because without people buying it, more games like this are not going to happen.

Huh? 'Do the right thing'? This is a for-profit company in the United States. I give them money and in return I get a product. That's the nature of the exchange. That's how I show my "support."

I like your enthusiasm for BG, Chris, but right now Beamdog has no product for sale. Giving a company money and getting nothing in return makes no sense at all.
    edited October 2012
    @Brude

After the discussion I had with a few people who said it would be OK to install BG:EE on 20 friend's computers, rather than have them buy it, I think ordering is the right thing to do.

Anyways, the company is trying to drum up a little more interest to hit another milestone in pre-sales, I'm just trying to help out, so don't take it personal.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    @bigdogchris Ahhhhh, gotcha. I missed that other thread. Now it all makes sense.

(Not for nothing, but I agree with your position there 100%).
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Brude said:

There's no incentive to pre-order. This is a digital game. A whopping $2 discount is meaningless.

Not quite. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to order all of mine on the pre-order special. If I had, I would have saved $50. It would have been equal to two free copies extra for what I did end up paying.