Skip to content

IWD - Money Woes

HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
edited October 2012 in Off-Topic
This game is frustrating me with the lack of available funds. I don't want to use the money cheat, but literally unless you kill Yetis in the Vale of Shadows for about 37 years, there's no way to buy everything decent Orrick the Grey has to offer before his inventory changes in Chapter 4 without having to resort to it.

So I guess I either suck it up and move on, or I dump some gold from the sky on my party. I'm curious what you guys normally do in an IWD playthrough? Do you use money cheats or do you just not buy everything?
ginger_hammer

Comments

• MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    You don't have enough money to outfit your guys with whatever you like but you get just enough so that you can get a special treat or two for your favourite party member. I figured that's how it is mean't to be and it certainly doesn't make the game unplayable or anything. It's been a while since I've gone much further than rescuing villagers from the lizard men so I forget how the money gets after that.

(without farming yetis)
    HaHaCharadeginger_hammerMortiannaKenji
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643

You don't have enough money to outfit your guys with whatever you like but you get just enough so that you can get a special treat or two for your favourite party member. I figured that's how it is mean't to be and it certainly doesn't make the game unplayable or anything. It's been a while since I've gone much further than rescuing villagers from the lizard men so I forget how the money gets after that.

(without farming yetis)

Yeah I'm just OCD about getting everything. I guess you could always import your party back in after your first playthrough and buy anything you couldn't get the first time, the second time. That changing shop inventory always was a bit perplexing to me though. I guess its to illustrate that the dude has other buyers besides you.
    I generally just want those bard items from the amateur historian guy. I forget what new stuff the wizard sells but I always think that most of the weapons that the blacksmith is selling just seem massively over-priced and not really worth it.
    Mortianna
  • ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
    Yeah I was a bit open-jawed when scrolling down through all the massively expensive gear in IWD. Finally saved up for that crossbow then after 5 mins of adventuring I found a better one - doh. The same happened with getting a decent blunt weapon, that was superceeded very quickly. Decided it was best to stick with things like rings/necklaces/capes as these seem to last longer.

I do prefer having lots of expensive items though as its nice to finally save enough to purchase.
    MoomintrollHaHaCharadeQuartz

I generally just want those bard items from the amateur historian guy. I forget what new stuff the wizard sells but I always think that most of the weapons that the blacksmith is selling just seem massively over-priced and not really worth it.

the only item from the blacksmith that's worth it is the "Helm of the Trusted Defender". If you have a Gnome or Halfling fighter-type, thing is beastly (+3 AC Helm / Immune to Fatigue).
    MoomintrollQuartz
    edited October 2012
    There is also that +3 mace from the blacksmith called 'the giving star' that grants a 10% chance of cure light wounds (also +1 str for 5 rnds) that I wanted but is only available to evil characters and none of my front line was evil.
    HaHaCharadeMoomintroll
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited October 2012
    IWD basically forces you to have some evil chars in your party if you want to use the best equipment in game.

I remember one of the best swords, I don't remember its name right now, could only be used by an evil fighter/mage.

I remember reading a playing guide once that recommended that at least half your party should be evil to use all that great equipment.
    HaHaCharadeginger_hammerMoomintroll
    edited October 2012
    mlnevese said:

IWD basically forces you to have some evil chars in your party if you want to use the best equipment in game.

I remember one of the best swords, I don't remember its name right now, could only be used by an evil fighter/mage.

I remember reading a playing guide once that recommended that at least half your party should be evil to use all that great equipment.

I get away with it by having a couple Lawful Neutrals. Most items just say "Any Non-Good" meaning Neutrals can get by with them. "Ring of Dwarven Bone" (+1 Strength) is a must for a fighter type and is any non-good only. If you have an 18/00 Natural strength, it boosts you to a 19. Then there's a Shield later on that boosts you to a 20. (Tim the Toolman Taylor Sound).
    ginger_hammer
    For a list of the weapons and armor head over to http://mikesrpgcenter.com/icewind/weapons.html for more details. I think there are more items/weapons in the game than on that site though that were added at a later date/combo pack.

I like that there are quite a few cursed items.

When starting a new party I should definately have balanced out the alignments between good/evil/neutrals.
    HaHaCharade
    edited October 2012

For a list of the weapons and armor head over to http://mikesrpgcenter.com/icewind/weapons.html for more details. I think there are more items/weapons in the game than on that site though that were added at a later date/combo pack.

I like that there are quite a few cursed items.

When starting a new party I should definately have balanced out the alignments between good/evil/neutrals.

Yeah Mike's site is cool, doesn't have everything tho. This walkthrough is the most detailed in terms of items that are found. Has everything you could think of in every possible random encounter.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/256221-icewind-dale/faqs/8166

Meanwhile this walkthrough shows shop inventories and their eventual changes

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/256221-icewind-dale/faqs/11312
    ginger_hammerMoomintroll
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    I agree with the op. I got anxious that i couldn't afford all those nice toys so i was forced instead to buy just a few of them to either boost my main guy(me of course) or beef up some weak link party members a bit to balance things out.
  • HowieHowie Member Posts: 136
    Yes, I believe it's working as intended. The Ten Towns are harsh lands and it would be surprising to even see powerful magical items in stock. You will find items powerful enough to sustain your adventure through the adventure, but if you are buying from stores, all you need is some unique scrolls for your wizard, perhaps a special armor for your warrior, and a special piece for your thief or bard.

If you are in desperate need of money, you have to sell some of the quite powerful drops, but you just can't outfit your whole party of six with everything you want.
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    I never thought of it as a problem. Just like in real life, you have limited money and have to decide how best to spend it. Sure, there might be items I wish I could afford, but I just have to do without them. I actually think it's better than the situation you get into in some games where you just can't think of anything more to do with all your useless gold (BG2 springs to mind!)
    After getting further into the game (just started chapter 6), money is less of an issue as the weapons for sale are no longer better than what I have and hence I have lots of spare gold. Although I haven't reached that gnome town yet.
    edited October 2012

After getting further into the game (just started chapter 6), money is less of an issue as the weapons for sale are no longer better than what I have and hence I have lots of spare gold. Although I haven't reached that gnome town yet.

Crap I forgot about the gnome town! Let's see what they sell.....
    Post edited by HaHaCharade on
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    It's part of the fun in IWD actually, to not get the equipment you want so badly! I always drool at that +3 AC helm for gnomes only I think - that's INSANE! XD

Imagine Shadows of Amn - You can buy one of the three items : Robe of Vecna, Flail of Ages, Carsomyr - while it's unrealistic : which one would you chose? (keep in mind that the other two will be destroyed forever)
    HaHaCharade

It's part of the fun in IWD actually, to not get the equipment you want so badly! I always drool at that +3 AC helm for gnomes only I think - that's INSANE! XD

Imagine Shadows of Amn - You can buy one of the three items : Robe of Vecna, Flail of Ages, Carsomyr - while it's unrealistic : which one would you chose? (keep in mind that the other two will be destroyed forever)

Carsomyr hands down. I know the casting time increase on Vecna is ridiculous, but I gotta go for the big pointy weapons.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I think I'd go with the Flail most of the times myself, even with the superpower of the robe and the pointy weapon XD

I just love the slowing effect of the Flail of Ages on mages with Stoneskin. It makes me laugh maniacally every time I see
    "PC hits Mage"
    "Mage takes 1 damage"
    "Mage takes 1 damage"
    "Mage takes 1 damage"
    "Mage - Slow"

When that happens, the mage is usually 99.9% of the times dead. Liches apparently are included in this list quite nicely too!
    By the time you slow them trice, they'll need 5 seconds for a magic missile spell! It's hilarious :3
    HaHaCharade
    edited October 2012
    Figured I'd post some sad news today.

The Yeti population around the Ten Towns of Icewind Dale has begun to plummet. I am now up to 637 slain Yetis. When I get bored I just go into the Vale of Shadows and raise hell. A fireball is a good spell. Its even better when the things you use it on get bonus fire damage applied against them for being cold-dwelling creatures. 9th level mage - 9D6. Is this sane? Is this right? Who cares! Making about 1,000 gold a trip so their lives are forfeit.

Photobucket
    Moomintroll
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Hmm, let's say that Fortune tends to smile on my party when it comes to money. :D

Sod it, YES, I DO cheat some money in my game now and then. Sue me. XD
    HaHaCharade
    @HaHaCharade Patronising as I know this sounds, I feel sorry for you.
    HaHaCharade

@HaHaCharade Patronising as I know this sounds, I feel sorry for you.

I feel sorry for me too! Lol

• Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    I guess I'm just not as 'hardcore' as some of the people here, heh. :p
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Wait, don't the local shopkeepers give diminishing returns if you flood the local market with yeti pelts?
    HaHaCharadeginger_hammer
    ajwz said:

Wait, don't the local shopkeepers give diminishing returns if you flood the local market with yeti pelts?

Yep, once you sell a full slate from a character it drops from 50 gold a pelt to 20. It won't drop less then that though no matter what.
    What I really want to know is, what are you saving up for?
    What chapter are you on? The shopkeepers get new stuff in depending on which chapter you are on so make sure you buy all you want before going further into the game as otherwise those items will be no longer available in some cases.

What I really want to know is, what are you saving up for?

I'm going to get "Jasper's Ring of Shocking Grasp". It's like 17,000+ or something. Not the best item, but it has a 4 times / day usage meaning I can use it forever and it doesn't go away. Those are the items I dig. Plus it goes up in damage with character level. I'm leaving the two wands behind. They're way overpriced and I'd have to grind for about 10,000 more years or use cheats. I'll just get them if I do an import/re-play through.

So I've successfully cleaned out Orrick's Inventory each chapter, save for the couple of wands I'm leaving behind pre-Chapter 4. Not bad. I've also managed to pick up the "Helm of the Trusted Defender" from Conlan which is a must.

What chapter are you on? The shopkeepers get new stuff in depending on which chapter you are on so make sure you buy all you want before going further into the game as otherwise those items will be no longer available in some cases.

Yep - I'm about to head to the Severed Hand and trigger chapter 4. This is a great resource to tell you when inventories change.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/930017-icewind-dale-the-collection/faqs/11312
    Moomintroll
    Final Yeti Death-Toll

955! At least that's what the pelt-counter in Conlan's shop says. Folks can now visit the Vale of Shadows whenever they like... Additionally Kresselack is probably more pissed off at my party, lol.
    Moomintrollginger_hammer