Skip to content

Advice on SharTeel build as a single class fighter

So I’m running a neutral/evil party for fun, using BG1 only characters, and focussing on SharTeel and Kagain, because I don’t use them often enough (as they’re evil). It turns out they’re both brilliant. So here’s the party:

Me (NE Gnome Thief)
Garrick
Xan
Branwen
SharTeel
Kagain

ST I’m keeping as a single class fighter, because with Me and Garrick I just don’t need another thief, and I don’t want the faff. I know she can get loads of extra weapon pips if she duals, but I can’t be bothered, and I like HPs...

So at level four right now IIRC, she has (I don’t have the game open at the moment, so could be wrong):

Dual Wield ++
Dagger+
Longsword+
Longbow+

I gave her longbow at level 3 because arrows are very common in BG1, more than throwing daggers, and missile weapons are pretty much essential for each party member in this instalment. Besides, composite longbows are just cool... Slings might have been good too, given her strength, but it’s a bit late now.

Question is, where should the final pip go at level six? I’m guessing in dual wield, owing to the abundance of +2-ish daggers and longswords evenly spaced throughout the main game...but what would you choose for her at level six to get the most out of her, given where she is now? Thanks!

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited June 2020
    I tend to mostly always give her longswords for dualweilding. Specialization + level 7 fighter gives 2 APR base + 1 offhand which you will miss if you pip a third in dualwield or continue on bows. Kagain can tank with her on the flank. But YMMV of course.

Dharius
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited June 2020
    Ok, so you’d always give her stars in daggers and/or longswords instead of a third in DW, given the stats? Makes sense. And then if she needs to use a shield for extra defence, then she has more offensive potential when she does that, I suppose.

I don’t think that a second star in longbows will be any good in the long run (one is enough I think, as I’m only looking for the potential for ranged attacks) ...similarly I keep Khalid at one star for bows, when I use him.
    Skatan
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    The second dot in a weapon is the most important one for any warrior. A better chance to hit, more damage, and more attacks per round? You can't beat that. And then, the third dot in a weapon is better than the third dot in two-weapon fighting; it's +2 to attack and +1 to damage for all attacks with that weapon instead of a mere +2 to off-hand attacks.

Really, the only question is whether to master long swords or to master daggers. Long swords give you more melee damage, while daggers give you a ranged option; throwing daggers do decent damage, but there aren't any magic ones. They both have their good points, and it really comes down to which weapons the rest of your party isn't using.
    DhariusSkatanilduderino
    edited June 2020
    Yes indeed, it looks like it’s going to be longswords, as the special ones turn up quite early in the game, and considering my party’s reputation, the dagger of venom is very expensive...

Shame there aren’t any really decent throwing daggers out there really. Even some poisoned ones like those in BG2 would be a good start...At least there’s a nice variety of arrows to choose from!
    Post edited by Dharius on
    Skatan
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Dharius wrote: »
    Ok, so you’d always give her stars in daggers and/or longswords instead of a third in DW, given the stats? Makes sense. And then if she needs to use a shield for extra defence, then she has more offensive potential when she does that, I suppose.

I don’t think that a second star in longbows will be any good in the long run (one is enough I think, as I’m only looking for the potential for ranged attacks) ...similarly I keep Khalid at one star for bows, when I use him.

I don't think I ever used daggers with her in EE, to be frank. If I play with Shar'teel it means I go full evil and use Kagain, maybe Dorn, etc and no one else will use Varscona. Her offhand is usually also longsword. DoVenom/Longtooth would be good options I guess, specialization matters less on the offhand weapon since you won't get the APR anyways. You do get the +1/+2 though.

The few times I play nowadays I tend to go 2 pips or no pips, but as said above, 3 pips Mastery is glorious.
    Dharius
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    edited June 2020
    I would also go for long swords, you get Varscona so early and no-one else in your group can use them better but daggers, for dagger of venom, would also work great.

The third pip in two weapon fighting won’t do as much for you.
    Dharius
    edited June 2020
    Yes, I’ve decided she’s going to use Harrower and Varscona for most of the game, as they’re very easy to find, and occasionally a shield (where needed), or a longbow. Many thanks
    Skatanilduderino