Skip to content

Disco Elysium, An Isometric RPG with text-based gameplay

PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868

I do not see any thread about this game, so...

Disco Elysium is open world role playing game. The gameplay is an RPG dialogue and skill-based with plenty of non-combat options to resolve the quests, in the line of Age of decadence, Planescape, etc.

You’re a detective with a unique skill system at your disposal and a whole city block to carve your path across. Interrogate unforgettable characters, crack murders or take bribes. Become a hero or an absolute disaster of a human being.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/632470/Disco_Elysium/

It is available now in steam, but I do not have time to play it until the weekend. Anyone played it?
JuliusBorisovKamigoroshiLudwig_IISkatanArvia

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I'm so excited about this game (will get to it when I can). Here is a PC Gamer review. 92. For an indie RPG. https://www.pcgamer.com/disco-elysium-review/
    PsicoVic
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    There's currently a good deal over at GoG. You even get UnderRail bundled in free of charge if you buy Disco Elysium there.

I'll probably get it somewhere down the line. Having only humans crawling around is honestly kind of a letdown though.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    I already have Underrail and the expansion =(. It´s a good deal though.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Can someone be so kind to share experience with this game? I've read couple of very positive reviews and now I'm extremely intrigued by this title. I dream of another PST-like experience since... well, since PST release. Numenera did not meet my expectations, I'm afraid. It was a decent game, but nowhere near PST's genius.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I'm hearing great things about this. Got an 11-day vacation coming up shortly, probably going to grab this and Outer Worlds and have at it.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Having played a couple hours, I can certainly say that aside from anything else, this game is wholly original. It's an RPG about the mind itself, and relies exclusively on the skill-checks most other titles throw in as novelties. But it is absolutely NOT a point and click adventure game masquerading as an RPG that so many people are deriding it as. For those asking, yes, I do believe it's opening especially is very similar to Tides of Numenara, but it is simpy more interesting and better realized.
    JuliusBorisovkanisatha
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I'm sooo interested in this game! Watched a review and it looks absolutely amazing. Also thanks to @PsicoVic for the mini-review, that creative skill (thought?) sounds hilarous!
    JuliusBorisov
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    edited November 2019
    I decided to pick it up today and so far I'm really enjoying it. There's a lot of dialog options and different ways to solve situations, some of which is the most batshit crazy stuff since the Malkavians in Bloodlines. I'm a superstar, ya! I'm just blundering through the game with this unwarranted high opinion of myself, what's hilarious is it often works. I went with a sensitive for the build type, so I've been getting all sorts of weird insights and premonitions. The game is very heavily dialog based, so if reading isn't your thing, this isn't a game for you. I haven't seen a single combat, so I have no idea what that's like. A physical hard ass could be an interesting way to play the game, though. I only started the third day, so I'm not too far in.
    JuliusBorisovSkatankanisathaArvia
    I'm really intrigued now. It's hard to describe the game without giving up too much, so much of the game is just discovering the world. It's definitely not Earth and the technological progression's a bit off with it's own geopolitical situation. I dig that cars use stearing handles instead of wheels, so many methods for steering cars were tried in the early days. I love playing up the "I'm a Superstar" options whenever they come up.

What I've found interesting is failing a roll can often open up other paths to success or result in happy accidents. I botched my rolls to catch a key somebody threw at me and got nailed in the eye, taking damage. I pushed the "You just assaulted a cop angle" and the guy threw a large quantity of cash my way.

Sometimes I get to wear the most outlandish outfits. I wanted to nail the karaoke check, so I get up there in a fishnet shirt, sunglasses and a jacket with a horrible name on the back to push up my drama skill.
    SkatanJuliusBorisovArvia
    Finished the game tonight and had a blast through it all. I'm not sure about the replayability of the game, but I think I want to play as a more physical hard ass if I decide to go back. Some stuff didn't turn out great, but I think it could have gone worse. I was in one fight the entire game.

Big time ending spoilers
    I was hoping for a real whodunnit, where the perpetrator would have been possible to figure out, but it's someone gated behind an area you can't get to till the end. It did at least resolve a lot of seemingly random threads at the end that all tied together, though.
    SkatanJuliusBorisovArvia
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    I have just started this game as I needed something to wean me off PFK. I'm avoiding reading previous posts as I desperately want to avoid spoilers.

Initial impression: wow! It's incredible, I love how hard-hitting and grown up it is, I love how dark it is, I love the brain stuff. But my is it overwhelming. So much to read, so many people to talk to, so much freedom in what to do. I have no clue how to make good use of skillpoints or even how to advance the plot. I just end up talking and making notes and my Task List is growing and growing. This could be quite special, but I need to find time to play with full concentration, it doesn't feel like the kind of game you can dip into for half-hour slots when you have a bit of spare time.
    CahirJuliusBorisovSkatanArvia
    So I thought I would post about my playthrough. This is effectively a blind run at the game. I played about 3 hours in my first run, just getting to grips with the controls, skills, and how the game works, so I got a little bit further in that than I am in this run right now. I was overwhelmed with information in that first run, so this time I am playing really slowly, writing down everything, and going on what seems like it will be a crazy awesome ride.

I’ll put it in spoilers in case there are other new players that don’t want to read about it.
    I went for Intellect 6, Psyche 3, Physique 1, Motorics 2 as distribution. Logic as signature skill. A deep-thinking, introverted but physically useless detective in other words. I have decided that I want to focus on Logic, Encyclopedia, Inland Empire and Perception as my main skills: basically learn as much as possible and try to figure out wtf is going on. I have had two level-ups so far, and I put 1 point into Logic and 1 into Perception. I think I also want to unlock as many Thought Cabinet slots as possible, so will use level-ups for those as well in future.

Brief summary of what’s happened so far: woke up, explored the room, got my shoes, talked to people in the hostel. My Inland Empire (I think) told me Kim is to be trusted and that he is my half-brother?! Is that literal or conceptual as a fellow cop? Don’t know, let’s see how it plays out. I decided to be open and honest about not being able to remember anything, and got a really helpful summary from Lena the paraplegic (that’s something I didn’t get in the first run where I decided not to let on that I had amnesia – already playing out differently).

I explored the crime scene, no chance of getting body down (3% chance) so didn’t even risk it. I worked out all the footprints, which I guess is to do with my Intellect being so high. Cuno ran rings around me, but I did discover his shack. I didn’t attempt to jump for the cloak though, low chance of success and no way I would risk that in my condition and hangover.

Failed the check talking to the gardener about what she was planting, even though I had like 83% chance of success or something (dice roll unfortunately was a 3). I passed that in my previous run but will disregard what information I know that gave me.

Reported my badge missing, managed to bluff about my gun. Didn’t get any money or information from the precinct. Spoke to Sylvie as well and got quite a lot of information from her about what a jerk I am (/was), and specifically that I tried to flush my documents down the toilet and that I might have pawned my gun. Oh great.

I opened the bins and found the victim’s clothes, a racist mug, and my clipboard. I have discovered the information in the documents and the naming convention, but didn’t manage to open the secret compartment (I did succeed in the first run so I have some awareness of what is coming…but can easily ignore that and will try to open it later as it was a white check).

Since I levelled up Perception while going through the documents, I could then discover that a car had crashed into the fence and then reversed out and headed south.

And that’s where I am. The only further progress I made in the first run was to explore south to the bridge, go into the pawn and book shops, and talk to the smoker guy on the balcony. I will try to do those again asap so I can be free from ground I have already covered and into the unknown.

Things that I think are going on (this is pure speculation now, my guess from first impressions at how stuff will play out): I reckon it was me that crashed the car into the fence. Cuno suggested he had seen me before and would keep my secret, and Kim’s car felt familiar when I touched the steering wheel; so maybe I had a similar car and crashed it.

I reckon the “sad song”, which I’ve learned is “Church in Saint-something” has something to do with ex-wife.

Klaasje the dancer must somehow play a key role: I tried knocking on her door again, I heard the shower go on, but no answer. I need to speak to her again.

The Union lynching the hanged man must be a red herring: I find it hard to believe that the answer could be so straightforward, so I’m expecting a swerve there.

Cannot wait to play again and get deeper into the story!
    JuliusBorisov
    edited February 2020
    Btw, something that would really help from someone's who played it: what are the keyboard controls? I've figured out C for character screen, I for inventory, and M (or J?) for tasks. There doesn't appear to be a screen that shows you the keyboard shortcuts. How do you take screenshots for instance? PrntScreen or F11? Are there any other really useful keyboard controls?

Also why is everything French? Is this a French game or French setting? I like it, but it makes names and places harder to remember.
    I played it in English. There are some foreign language names (like famous Polish "Gorący Kubek), but generally game's in English.

Btw the whole detective investigation is the most engaging in computer games I have ever experienced. I changed my mind who the real killer is so many times that I lost count. I have never played such engaging crpg since... well PST. But as you've said, it's not the game that should be played in 30 minutes intervals. It's too damn good to not engage in it fully.
    I am playing the game in English, I mean a lot of the names and a lot of the lore is French. You have skills like Savoir-Faire, areas like Martinaise, the Franconigerian cavalry, characters like Jules Pidieu and Jean Vicquemare etc. I'm not complaining, I'm simply wondering why there is a strong French theme. In DA:O the area of Orlais is based on French chivalry so all makes sense, just thinking why this game goes for a French theme.

Totally agree on the immersion. I have 6 pages of notes from a 2 hour session last night, and I've been reading through and categorising them today. Almost like being a real detective...
    elminster
    I think the French thing is as much a callback to the old noir detective genre.

I wouldn't worry overly much about failure, just roll with the punches, I had a great time blundering my way through the game with an unjustified high opinion of myself.
    Jaheiras_WitnessJuliusBorisovArvia
    Personally I find the idea of talking to the different aspects of your mind extremely enjoying and fresh. It reminds me of conversations with other incarnations of the Nameless One in PST, but it's even more engaging and fun. I especially like the sleep dialogs, man.. that voice. It creeps the hell out of me.
    JuliusBorisov
    I completed the game. Thoughts below.
    75% of the game was great. Really enjoyed it, proper mystery, lots of options and different ways of doing things, proper consequences for actions etc.

The last 25% was awful though. What were they thinking? That ruined what would otherwise have been a great game. A few specifics:

1) Everything to do with the Church was just stupid. You've basically got Spiderman, some ridiculous computer jargon, an invisible black hole, and a bunch of druggies talking a load of crap with that horrible music pumping through every conversation.

2) The radio waves thing with Ruby stretched credibility.

3) The deserter. What a joke. You have this incredible murder mystery, so many people and suspects, so much politicking going on. And it turns out the shooter is somebody totally unconnected from everyone else; he has no part in the plot, he wasn't taking orders from anybody, he's just a random dude who decides to murder somebody for no (real) reason. Yay. Pathetic.

4) He then confesses to a load of other stuff, so you can tie every little thing up and put a ribbon on top of your case.

5) The cryptid. Just f**k off. It's basically like a joke being played on you right at the end.

I was also surprised that the game was actually quite small/limited. First experiences and the wealth of lore suggested it would be a massive game. But the area you explore is actually quite small and sparsely populated, there is very little additional stuff to explore once the bridge is fixed. I also thought the plot would develop in layers. Once the drugs plot was uncovered, I figured that after the murder you would then have to go after the organisation who ordered the murder, which would get you involved against the drug cartels etc. But no, it was just the murder that had to be solved as well as some recapture of personal identity.

They messed up. It's sad to see something that should be great ruined by a bad ending. It also kills desire to replay the game.
    JuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2020
    I've been playing it. It's actually pretty fun, but definitely not for everyone. It's text heavy and also substance heavy (philosophical) at times. I don't mind this but some might.

I've definitely gotten some pretty solid laughs at the writing. It's really well done.
    JuliusBorisovArvia
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i just bought this game but can't play it till my new computer comes in the next week or so.

but it looks like something i'll enjoy i do love a good murder mystery story. and the comparisons to pst to the point i have seen some reviewers saying it's more a torment successor then tides was also has me interested.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Yea. It is definitely a game for people wanting to read :)
    megamike15
    There might actually be a TV show based on it. No idea how that would work at all.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/06/26/disco-elysium-is-getting-a-tv-show-of-all-things/
    elminster
    I've started playing the game over the weekend and after 10 hours in, I'm impressed. I think I've been missing a game where it's exciting and interesting to click all possible points of interest as you explore locations. Very creative and so far I would say - the best use of isometric view I've seen (from the old game to PoE and P:K). I've been missing a game that thinks about you as an adult person and raises adult themes for you to consider (can think only about CP2077 as another such game). The VO is great and helps understand characters more. The visual style is very special. And I like dialogues with different inner senses the most. This is the game where the passage of time is felt and it matters what time it is now.

10 hours in is not enough for a review but it's obvious the game is special (1 in 10000) and I will remember it for a long time.
    kanisathaOrlonKronsteenArvia
    30 hours in. The detective aspect is still so cool. The art is still so cool. So is the VO.

One thing I don't like in this game is the world-building (I find it hard to believe into the story about the world, atmosphere, Pale, etc) and the fact the main character who has only 1, 2, 3, 4 days in the world is constantly being asked about his political views. As the player, I have no idea if being a monarchist, a communist, a liberal is good or bad in that particular world, I don't have sufficient information about that. The Pale story sounds as if the author watched a series of science films about space and then decided to mix it up into one crazy cocktail:
    - the Pale is being described as a vacuum
    - it's also being described as a Black Hole
    - it's also being described as ordinary space with radiation
    - it's also being described as antimatter

If the world's physics function so much different from our real world, how can I decide on politics - maybe political movements function entirely different as well.

The whole dialogue with Joyce about the Pale was really hard to accept for me, especially considering it's all so nicely written regarding other game aspects.

That said, the game is special because it doesn't fear trying new things and talking about things not commonly discussed in other games.
    Arvia
  • PaquoCastorPaquoCastor Member Posts: 6
    As the player, I have no idea if being a monarchist, a communist, a liberal is good or bad in that particular world, I don't have sufficient information about that.

Wut? Also, from what I've seen, politics in this game reference common real world stereotypes, and the game mocks all of them/you as a player. I'd just go with ultra-liberal because that's the closest to my personal politics.
    megamike15
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    yeah the game is more of a satire on current day politics. but i do find the way it is portrayed childish at times.
  • hybridialhybridial Member Posts: 291
    megamike15 wrote: »
    yeah the game is more of a satire on current day politics. but i do find the way it is portrayed childish at times.

Yeah, I'm glad I didn't play the game long before I realised what it was (so I was able to refund it); I got it for the premise of being a mystery RPG, but frankly it doesn't take long to realise that's little more than a framework for what the game otherwise does.

And there's nothing more boring to me than a broad, shallow political polemic, it's not that I have an issue with political issues in stories but more that the game does it with no depth or nuance so it's not interesting or insightful. It's always better to focus and dive deeper into a subject in a story.

Frankly I'm kinda annoyed about how much the detective aspect was focused on to sell the game when the game sidelines it so much in favour of bland satire.