Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited July 2020
    Yes this requirement for in person education is yet another pigheaded deadly policy.

Since when does a trump care about school? He's always bashing them or trying to privatize them (meaning take funds away from public schools so that rich people can divert more funds to private education exclusively for their own rich kids only)
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    More kids in school means more parents at work. He is only about economy after all.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @BallpointMan "This all may be true, but a lot of the same predictions were made about Obama after inheriting Bush's economic collapse in 2008-2009. It was suggested that he would be blamed for the economy and it would set him and Democrats back considerably.

Instead, Obama managed the crisis and pushed the country into a steady pattern of economic improvement - and has been rewarded in terms of legacy for being one of the more successful presidents in recent history. Biden will have that same opportunity."

But he WAS blamed for the economy. You're underestimating how blatant the right is in this regard. For his ENTIRE Presidency, Obama was criticized for the economy. Both terms. At first he was somehow entirely at fault in the first term, and in the second term, the economy still wasn't "good enough" and the upturn was somehow faked. Until of course Trump was in the seat, then suddenly the economy was great and we should all thank Trump for being such a wonderful president.

There was a meme that ran through conservative circles that was a picture of Bush jr. with the caption, "Miss me yet?" It stuck around until Trump took office. Obama is STILL hated by a lot of conservatives because he "faked" fixing the economy.
    edited July 2020
    The problem is there's (at least) two different realities going on. Those who get mainstream media and conservative media. Mainstream media is not perfect but conservative media peddles lies about basic facts. But the people in that bubble this becomes their reality and next thing you know Karen's yelling and assaulting some kid who asked her to wear a mask coming in the store on her way to a Coronavirus party with her unvaccinated immunocompromised daughter.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    The problem is there's (at least) two different realities going on. Those who get mainstream media and conservative media. Mainstream media is not perfect but conservative media peddles lies about basic facts. But the people in that bubble this becomes their reality and next thing you know Karen's yelling and assaulting some kid who asked her to wear a mask coming in the store on her way to a Coronavirus party with her unvaccinated immunocompromised daughter.

Well, to be fair, anti-vaxxers come from both sides of the political spectrum. I can't figure out that particular belief with all of the evidence backing the effectiveness of vaccines and all the horrible diseases reduced to a minimum (measles, mumps, rubella, polio) or even outright eradicated (smallpox). Total lunacy...
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    @BallpointMan "This all may be true, but a lot of the same predictions were made about Obama after inheriting Bush's economic collapse in 2008-2009. It was suggested that he would be blamed for the economy and it would set him and Democrats back considerably.

Instead, Obama managed the crisis and pushed the country into a steady pattern of economic improvement - and has been rewarded in terms of legacy for being one of the more successful presidents in recent history. Biden will have that same opportunity."

But he WAS blamed for the economy. You're underestimating how blatant the right is in this regard. For his ENTIRE Presidency, Obama was criticized for the economy. Both terms. At first he was somehow entirely at fault in the first term, and in the second term, the economy still wasn't "good enough" and the upturn was somehow faked. Until of course Trump was in the seat, then suddenly the economy was great and we should all thank Trump for being such a wonderful president.

There was a meme that ran through conservative circles that was a picture of Bush jr. with the caption, "Miss me yet?" It stuck around until Trump took office. Obama is STILL hated by a lot of conservatives because he "faked" fixing the economy.

Well - Obama was certainly blamed at times for just about everything in the USA. That said, those were mostly the talking points of the far far right and some fox news personalities. Obama had an approval rating well above 60% in his final year, and that was in part because even Conservatives eventually had to admit that the economy had recovered (Longest expansion in US history).

I think what you're seeing is just the hyper polarized nature of the country. If Biden wins in 2020, the 35% of die hard Trump supporters will never accept anything Biden does as being good for the country. Their partisanship wont allow it. So those points of view arent useful for actually evaluating Biden.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited July 2020
    ThacoBell wrote: »

Well - Obama was certainly blamed at times for just about everything in the USA. That said, those were mostly the talking points of the far far right and some fox news personalities. Obama had an approval rating well above 60% in his final year, and that was in part because even Conservatives eventually had to admit that the economy had recovered (Longest expansion in US history).

I think what you're seeing is just the hyper polarized nature of the country. If Biden wins in 2020, the 35% of die hard Trump supporters will never accept anything Biden does as being good for the country. Their partisanship wont allow it. So those points of view arent useful for actually evaluating Biden.

I'd have to dig deep into the archives to find it, but I posted a poll after Trump's election in which a vast number of Republican voters expressed belief the economy had already improved......even though Trump wouldn't be inaugurated for another month

It's worth keeping in mind Obama's $750 billion stimulus was only half of the $1.5 trillion he was asking for. And that only passed because the Senators from Maine went along and Arlen Specter switched parties. If Hillary was President right now, the Republican Senate wouldn't have approved a dime of what Trump was given for COVID-19 (which was meant to buy time for a plan, and has essentially been wasted).

As a side note, the $1200.00 is long gone, the back log of rent is now due, and the extra unemployment money is almost done. You are about to see evictions on a massive scale.

I also don't think the Obama economy (so to speak) was gangbusters like the Clinton economy of the 90s. Obama deserves credit for stabilizing the economy, which was a hefty enough chore given what he came in facing. But it never fully recovered, to this day.
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
    edited July 2020
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    As a side note, the $1200.00 is long gone, the back log of rent is now due, and the extra unemployment money is almost done. You are about to see evictions on a massive scale.

GOP: You can't vote if your address of record doesn't match what we have on file or if you're homeless *forehead tap*
    edited July 2020
    jjstraka34 wrote: »

GOP: You can't vote if your address of record doesn't match what we have on file or if you're homeless *forehead tap*

I've heard more than one commenter on the populist right say the GOP is going to lose because Mitch Mitch McConnell and the Senate have barely paid lip service to any more aid packages until today, which I still suspect will go nowhere. All they talk about is payroll tax cuts and vouchers for taking a vacation (truly the absolute stupidest and elitist idea yet). They're looking at some furloughed workers getting back on the payroll and saying "good enough". We fully socialized corporations and gave everyone else enough to scrape by for two months. The PPP program was a joke (just take a look at who got alot of that money).

I'm sure Trump would love to send everyone more checks. He doesn't have any beliefs on monetary policy. But the party he is in charge of does, and they are hellbent against any further governement intervention for regular people (see Lindsey Graham saying unemployment will be extended over "his dead body"). Their new slogan is literally "deal with it", it regards to both the health and economic component. It's a loser.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    https://globalnews.ca/news/7147062/coronavirus-church-party-florida-teen-covid-19/

Both the mother and this church should be charged with reckless endangerment in this death. Idiocy. Makes me angry.
    edited July 2020
    deltago wrote: »
    https://globalnews.ca/news/7147062/coronavirus-church-party-florida-teen-covid-19/

Both the mother and this church should be charged with reckless endangerment in this death. Idiocy. Makes me angry.

I'd go to negligent homicide. They put their severely immunocompromised daughter in that place on purpose. They then refused intubation until it was too late. I don't view it any differently than refusing to clean out the tracheal tube of a child on a breathing apparatus. And how and why did they just have a dose of hydroxychloroquine lying around the house?? What Dr. prescribed it?? What was the reasoning for doing so??

Mother is quoted as saying she is comforted by knowing her daughter is in a better place. I don't think she has an ounce of realization of how horrible a COVID-19 death actually is for the person suffering it, nordo I get the sense she actually cared in any real way for her daughter at all. Her beliefs in quake science were far more important to her than her child was. Her Facebooks page apparently has her complaining the doctors won't give her more of the Trump drug (because, let's be honest, that's what she viewed it as, the dear leader's miracle cure). This woman is a textbook cult member. She would have forced the Kool-Aid down the same child's throat if she was at Jonestown.

To wrap up, sending your severely immunocompromised child to a place where precautions are SPECIFICALLY not being followed because of political beliefs is child endangerment of the most unimaginable sort, and her death is 100% the fault of the mother. There is no reason that child should be dead. Her family should have been making every effort to build a wall around her and the public. It's what every even semi-responsible family is doing when they have vulnerable people close to them. Imagine surviving pediatric cancer and dying before the age of 18 anyway because your mother is a brainwashed lunatic.
  • GundanRTOGundanRTO Member Posts: 81
    In international news...

Jair Bolsonaro, President of Brazil, who had previously been dismissive of the effects of COVID 19 havdespite the fact that over 65,000 Brazilians have died from it thus far, has tested positive for it after developing symptoms on Sunday.

He's currently taking hydroxychloroquine for treatment.
    Any teacher or professor over the age of 55 (and there are SCORES of them) is basically being treated as cannon fodder by the federal government:

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    DinoDin wrote: »

To be honest, I wonder if some people are getting any news -- at all. It seems in recent years some people have become happy with getting "news" that's only linked to them via Facebook, Twitter or some other social media, and never actually watching a full news show or reading an actual newspaper or news magazine.

I think this is a far bigger problem right now, and it's not one that's exclusive to the right.

If you dont hear any opposing views you never have to think. Thinking's hard...
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    Balrog99 wrote: »

To be honest, I wonder if some people are getting any news -- at all. It seems in recent years some people have become happy with getting "news" that's only linked to them via Facebook, Twitter or some other social media, and never actually watching a full news show or reading an actual newspaper or news magazine.

I think this is a far bigger problem right now, and it's not one that's exclusive to the right.

I disagree with what's underlying this philosophy. I don't think many news outlets are partisan. I actually think people would get a much better view of events if they only read the news sections of one of the NYT, the Washington Post or yes even the Wall Street Journal than they would if they watched an hour of Rachel Maddow and Sean Hannity every day. Same goes for watching PBS's Newshour or NPR's news shows or the BBC. Frankly, imo, people should stop thinking they're getting the news at all if they are only reading opinion articles or watching partisan outlets.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @DinoDin I think the point @Balrog99 is making is that the people consuming the "news" are hyper partisan. They will only ever look or consider "facts" that they agree with. I've had so many circle arguments with people insisting that Fox News is the only trustworthy news source, despite all the evidence to the contrary that I walk them through.
    edited July 2020
    The big debate around opening schools in about 6 weeks is now upon us. Everyone wants schools back open. The problem is we haven't done anything to make that possible in a safe way. Other countries are going back because they did the work. Us?? We're still bitching about wearing masks and our constitutional right to go to a tanning salon. We're the kid who hands in one page of Cliff's Notes for a research paper and expects to get the same grade as the one who wrote a 20-page paper with proper references. Our policy is literally magical thinking. Do nothing, and expect it to go away on it's own. Just saying "it's time to get kids back in school" while engaging in no steps to make that feasible is like getting a cancer diagnosis and then yelling at the tumor to get out of your body, and doing nothing else about it.

Thirty minutes after I write this, CDC revises it's guidelines because the original ones were viewed as "too hard to do" by Trump. Validates everything I just said. We want the results without even pretending to do the work. What pathetic leadership. It's a fucking joke:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/08/politics/trump-cdc-school-guidelines-funding/index.html
    edited July 2020

I disagree with what's underlying this philosophy. I don't think many news outlets are partisan. I actually think people would get a much better view of events if they only read the news sections of one of the NYT, the Washington Post or yes even the Wall Street Journal than they would if they watched an hour of Rachel Maddow and Sean Hannity every day. Same goes for watching PBS's Newshour or NPR's news shows or the BBC. Frankly, imo, people should stop thinking they're getting the news at all if they are only reading opinion articles or watching partisan outlets.

I desperately wish MSNBC was actually the FOX equivalent on the left everyone seems to think it is. I pray for something even half as effective as what Roger Ailes set-up over there.

FOX is not just a right-wing news network, it's a visual extension of AM radio. You will hear the same thing on your morning drive show on 1300 The Flag as you will hear on Limbaugh, then on Hannity, then on Levin, and then on FOX in prime-time. They beat the two or three daily messages home like John Henry hitting railroad spikes with his hammer. It is relentless, coordinated propaganda that hits you from your morning trip to the coffee machine, to your car on the way to work, at the office, driving back home, and in your recliner relaxing for the night.

There is no such symbiosis with MSNBC and left-wing radio because left-wing radio doesn't exist. There are a total of TWO terrestrial radio shows from a left-wing perspective in the country, and they probably play on less than a dozen stations nationwide, in overwhelmingly liberal cities. The entire lineup of actual liberal radio shows is condensed into the daily line-up of Sirius XM Progress on satellite. That is all of them. I could fill up 6 or 7 Sirius XM Patriot Channels with programs they leave out on the right. As I have said before, you could drive from San Diego to Bangor or Seattle to Miami and never once lose the ability to tune in Rush Limbaugh or Hannity.

MSNBC is a centrist, establishment network with a couple of progressive hosts in prime-time. One of which (Maddow) does extensive looks into stuff absolutely no one else on TV is covering. FOX is the flagship of a battalion of right-wing media that is all aimed at the same target on the same shore. They aren't remotely comparable. I despise them, but I respect their skill. Left-wing media is playing tee ball and the right is Mike Trout and Bryce Harper.

Rural America isn't just right-wing because of their "values". It's also because the only media available to them in the places they spend the most time (their cars and their tractors) is relentless conservative propaganda. And you cannot have an even semi-serious discussion about the "media" in this country while leaving out AM radio's near 99% dominance of outwardly far-right content and their direct connection to what is being said on the cable news network in question.
    edited July 2020

I understand. I still think it's a problematic viewpoint that is common among many conservatives and is now growing even on the left that every news outlet has some bias. I'm not saying that any news reporter is perfectly objective here. However, as I said in the example, someone watching the news for just one hour every day and watching the PBS's Newhour, is going to be better informed that someone watching one hour of Foxnews and one hour of MSNBC everday.

I'm also not saying FOX and MSNBC are equally bad either. But real, objective news is much much better.
    I'm also not saying FOX and MSNBC are equally bad either. But real, objective news is much much better.

This is somewhat impossible. Of course people are the product of their beliefs, nation, background, family dynamics, neighbors, and everything. Bias usually isn't a big deal until there's a coordinated effort to direct messaging and efforts to reform reality into a particular vision. I'd argue a bigger problem is the definition of objective news.

What is objective news? I mean how do you objectively report a natural gas pipeline or a protest or anything with even the slightest bit of controversy.

Legitimate news decided that the best compromise was telling "both sides" of issues but this approach obviously has downsides and has obviously been abused. Today, you can have a racist Holocaust denier who wants to kill leftists and a leftist who doesn't want to be killed on a news outlet, there's no "both sides" to that.

This is somewhat impossible. Of course people are the product of their beliefs, nation, background, family dynamics, neighbors, and everything. Bias usually isn't a big deal until there's a coordinated effort to direct messaging and efforts to reform reality into a particular vision. I'd argue a bigger problem is the definition of objective news.

What is objective news? I mean how do you objectively report a natural gas pipeline or a protest or anything with even the slightest bit of controversy.

Legitimate news decided that the best compromise was telling "both sides" of issues but this approach obviously has downsides and has obviously been abused. Today, you can have a racist Holocaust denier who wants to kill leftists and a leftist who doesn't want to be killed on a news outlet, there's no "both sides" to that.

I think it's an interesting debate and we can get way down deep in it if you want. But I think a news outlet that has aims separate from providing information is enough of a bar for me. The Newhour on PBS or the BBC have no activist goals. There's no legislation or social change these outlets are trying to achieve. This is not the case with many un-apologetically activist news outlets. That's enough of a bar for me.

As I said before, there's no perfectly objective news reporter or editor. But there is a protocol or process for trying to produce the closest to objective news as possible. This isn't any different from science, where even laboratory experiments cannot be perfectly objective.
    But there is a protocol or process for trying to produce the closest to objective news as possible. This isn't any different from science, where even laboratory experiments cannot be perfectly objective.

This is where we run into trouble, when your objective is not to have objective news and you just don't do that.

Just like we're seeing the problem when many things are accepted norms and you get a President that just ignores all that and does what he wants. Starting with not releasing his tax returns.

• ÆmrysÆmrys Member Posts: 125
    edited July 2020
    Retracted...

He keeps saying this, and it gets dumber every time I read it. This is NO different than saying that as long as you don't get a biopsy, you don't have cancer, and if you don't get a pregnancy test, no baby will appear in 9 months. And anyone who liked this tweet who isn't a bot is a stone-cold moron:

Supreme Court ruled 7-2 that the President is above the Constitution and not subject to checks and balances such as oversight by Congress.

At what point is enough is enough?
    Supreme Court ruled 7-2 that the President is above the Constitution and not subject to checks and balances such as oversight by Congress.

All they did was punt, and allow him to kick the can down the road. He has always used the courts to win battles of attrition. Whatever. Hopefully in 4 months we won't have to give a shit anymore. This abject failure of a Presidency is going down in flames.

The only way they can win at this point is to cheat. Nothing else indicates he has a prayer with what is going on in the Sunbelt in regards to COVID-19. He's lost seniors, the suburbs have absolutely abandoned him, and he's putting all his chips down on trying to force people to send their kids to school during a pandemic with NO plan whatsoever to make it safe for the kids, the teachers, or the families they go home to, and everyone outside his cult base is appalled by it. People are stupid, they aren't THIS stupid. These parents are going to ask their local school administrators what is being done to make school safe, and they'll be told "we don't have a plan for that" just like seniors have been told by their doctors that COVID-19 is not, in fact, a hoax.

They don't have a clue. I saw a poll today that 77% of people do not believe "defund the police" means "abolish the police". If even that isn't working to that degree, then sure as shit confederate monuments and "cancel culture" grievance aren't going to save him. There is a raging pandemic they ignored, but now EVERYONE knows Trump and Republicans pushed for going back to normal too soon. And it had the inevitable results. No, there is simply no way people are going to vote for 4 more years of this.
    edited July 2020

But he has to turn them over to a grand jury in NY that is investigating his crimes there.

Trump’s melt down about this is beautiful too. Starts here:

• BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659

But he has to turn them over to a grand jury in NY that is investigating his crimes there.

I've been trying to follow this, but I was given the impression that while the SCOTUS agreed the NY can investigate his financial records, it sounds like this ruling was also sent back to a lower court for "work".

My interpretation is that while they essentially agreed Trump isnt above the law, they punted on letting the investigators do their work until after a lower court works on the situation more. The end result being that there wont be an investigation in time for the election.

That seems somewhat like a Trump victory to me

I've been trying to follow this, but I was given the impression that while the SCOTUS agreed the NY can investigate his financial records, it sounds like this ruling was also sent back to a lower court for "work".

My interpretation is that while they essentially agreed Trump isnt above the law, they punted on letting the investigators do their work until after a lower court works on the situation more. The end result being that there wont be an investigation in time for the election.

That seems somewhat like a Trump victory to me

It just means they aren’t made public, but allows investigators and a grand jury look at them to see if their are ties to the criminal investigations heading up by NY.

It doesn’t mean joe shome gets to see all the juicy details, and IMO, it was never suppose to be about that. Trump and Co, just made it seem like that is what would happen.

If there is criminal intent found within them, then they, or at least the damning parts of them, will be released when charges are laid.

All this however was just a delay tactic on Trump’s part. He knew, or his lawyers knew, they didn’t stand a chance of winning on this ruling.