Skip to content

[mod] Oak-Maw NPC for IWD EE

LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,679
edited May 2020 in IWD:EE Mods
p2y046z7u2mg.jpg

Oak-Maw, the dark fey, is now available! :)

The mod adds a brand new companion to Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition - Oak-Maw, a dark fey, a hunter that to some may resemble a deer-like human. Yet he isn't a deer, nor is he a human. He is an unusual being and the son of the Stag King, best known in Rashemen. He is an outsider, someone who can make most men and women in Frozenfar feel uneasy. Will you risk your reputation and get to know him better? Will you be able to see him as someone equal to yourself? Will you trust him enough to build a possible relationship with someone so different from all the other men of Icewind Dale?

Oak-Maw may join you after finding and interacting with a special stone, marked with a glowing rune.

Download
Forum

Want to experience even more talks? Install IWD Crossmod Banter Pack - it will add new banters mod companions. Check the list and description here.

Enjoy, IWD fans!
Post edited by LavaDelVortel on
OlvynChuruRedRodentjasteyEekanImpThacoBelljmaeqSharGuidesMyHandGusindatrinitStummvonBordwehrelminster

Comments

• LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,679
    Heya! Version 1.1 is up! It includes:

-fixed typos
    -fixed problem with displaying some symbols in Oak-Maw's talks
    -added version flag to the setup file

Thanks @EekanImp for all the reports!
    EekanImpThacoBellRedRodenttrinit
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    I'm a bit worried that I may have missed finding the stone with the glowing rune. Any hint(s) regarding its location?
    Dragon Eye, near the Lizard King
    Thrasymachus
    Thanks! (And phew.)
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Yeah I had the same worry and have never searched the Vale of Shadows and the Heartstone Temple so thoroughly
  • AWizardDidItAWizardDidIt Member Posts: 197
    Awesome changes :) Is it safe to install the new version over a modded in progress game?
    Version 1.2 is up. Because of @AWizardDidIt and his feedback some changes were made.
    1. Oak-Maw's personal armor got booster for balance reasons: as you can't change his armor, it now gets a special new mechanic; when NPC's HP drop below 50%, Oak-Maw will become enraged and receive bonuses - +3 AC, +3 THAC0 and +10% physcial resistance... yep, he becomes much stronger when hurt!
    2. His favorite weapons are still axes, however, when you find new axes later in game, you can use those weapons to backstab (it also makes them usable for thieves, but it should become an excellent weapon for your deer-like friend!)
    3. Now, in friendship talk 5 it is more obvious that player's reply to end discussion is actually a friendship-killer
    4. ...and finally a fix for one of his interjections.

Enjoy!

Great stuff! He did look a bit squishy and this seems to take care of that nicely as well as helping him dish it out! Is the rage temporary on going below 50% health or is it present whenever he is under 50%?

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Awesome changes :) Is it safe to install the new version over a modded in progress game?

Probably not. 9 times out of 10, its a really bad idea to change mods (even just new versions) mid game.
    As @ThacoBell said - it may cause some problems.
    Is the rage temporary on going below 50% health or is it present whenever he is under 50%?
    Whenever the condition is met. So yes, he gets quite a powerful boost whenever he is under 50% health and he keeps that boost until he is healed and has more than 50% of his HP :)
    ilduderino
    Time to hide the bandages ?
    edited July 2020
    These all seem like good changes, but not enough for me to start over again (just finished chapter two).

But one question about:
    1. ...and finally a fix for one of his interjections.

The "unfixed" version doesn't affect his subsequent dialogues or abilities, does it?

Thanks! I've enjoyed having OM in my party so far.
    That part is reffering to this:
    Oh, also found a little bug with Oak-Maw. In the Lower Dorn Deep mines when you exit conversation with Shikata (salamander king guy) it turns Oak-Maw hostile instead of him.
    So once you hit that place, make sure to disable him somehow so he couldn't talk. That should work too. Or kill Shikata before he talks to you, hah.

Enjoy!
    Thrasymachus
    edited July 2020
    [Sorry -- double post]
    Post edited by Thrasymachus on
    I think that there is a problem with Oak-Maw's "crossmod" banters. A couple of dialogues have started that seem to be directed at Oak-Maw, but have ended abruptly after one panel (i.e., after being triggered). In one, Dusky says (something like) "You're rather tall." Then, instead of continuing, the dialogue ends. In another, Urchin says something about looking "horse like" (I can't remember exactly). And then it ends.

Anyhow, Oak-Maw is a very interesting companion! But for the sake of future play throughs, I removed him from my current party so as to enjoy his interactions properly in the future.
    Hey! Let me know what mod version you're using @Thrasymachus :) Would like to make sure it's the latest one, there is a chance I missed something when fixing stuff.
    Sure! Both Oak-Maw and Crossmod are versions 1.2.
    Thanks! :) Will take a look. Cheers!
    Okay, I think it should be fixed now.
    ilduderinoThrasymachusThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Was it Oak-Maw or the banter pack that had the error? Not sure which one to update.
    I believe it was because Oak-Maw tp2 was missing thise:
    APPEND ~interdia.2da~ ~L#OM L#OMB L#OMB~
      UNLESS ~L#OM~

There was a similar issue with other NPC, I haven't consulted @AionZ, but I believe that should be it. Version 1.3 already has that piece of code included.
    ThacoBell
  • seloconselocon Member Posts: 11
    He's...kinda squishy for a frontline fighter. From a distance with his bow (assuming you stick him in somewhere where he can't be ambushed) he's great though
    You may switch between those during the battle :) After he's hurt, he becomes more powerful :)
    Yeah, started actually having Urchin hit him a few times after we rest. I'm VERY careful with the potions on him.
    Dexterity is unfortunately very important on frontliners in these games, which have a ton of ways to compensate for lower strength but very rarely for lower dexterity
    Spells. I've found that certain spells are a GODSEND