Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited July 2020
    @jessejmc Hard luck.
    @Wise_Grimwald not sure if you are aware, but web has a penalty of -2 to saves vs being webbed. This means if you don't have free action, or -1 to spell save, you can be webbed. Cloakwood Area 2 can be quite dangerous, as you no doubt know. A technique I often use if have a single character gulp a potion of freedom (you can get from Thalantyr) and go invisible, either by potion or spell. Then, with AI off, go through all areas in area 2 and set off the traps. After setting off traps, return to the party and then you can clear out the spiders/ettercaps here in relative safety.

It was pure carelessness. I had a potion of freedom. I meant to trigger the trap and move away immediately. Clearly didn't do it correctly. I probably shouldn't have been playing when I was so tired.
    edited July 2020
    I tried another run with an Inquisitor. This one beat Greywolf and was at level 4, but Zordral panicked him despite him being protected from evil and having true sight. Then it was just a matter of time. I was hoping that the panic attack would wear off so that he could gulp a potion, but it was not to be. :(

I'll perhaps try a different character next.

EDIT

Next character was a priest of Tempus who was killed by Tarnesh
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    Grond0Mantis37jessejmcBlackraven
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Gate70 wrote: »
    We've also keenly observed that Barnard Castle Durlag's Tower is unvisited so a trip there is added in.

An in joke there for the UK audience. If others are interested, try googling Barnard Castle Cummings ...
    AerakarWise_GrimwaldBlackraven
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 996
    @Wise_Grimwald as for myself, if I am solo, I never open a chest unless 1) I know whether it is trapped or not 2) and if do remember its trapped, I won't open it unless I remember what kind of trap it is, and also only if I have the needed protection.
    Wise_GrimwaldBlackraven
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    edited July 2020
    Some Pics... would add more but it’s hell trying to do so from mobile devices :).

qxop4uuv10uz.jpg
    1h94ukcxraca.jpg
    nw8zheu7awcm.jpg
    oi3yosmtfjgl.jpg
    erqfr5q2hlho.jpg
    Grond0Wise_GrimwaldAerakarBlackraven
    edited July 2020
    @Wise_Grimwald as for myself, if I am solo, I never open a chest unless 1) I know whether it is trapped or not 2) and if do remember its trapped, I won't open it unless I remember what kind of trap it is, and also only if I have the needed protection.

Problem is that you only find out what kind of trap it is when you fail. Obviously I have never failed with that trap before due to having a decent thief. I am learning a lot more about them now that I am playing solo. I knew all about the chests that charm you upstairs and so was prepared. I also knew about the ones with electrical damage upstairs. Character was tough enough to survive all the traps that did damage, but not insta-kill. Apparently being enraged I should have been immune to this trap too. I will investigate that in another game. Currently playing an Inquisitor again. Traps which charm hold no fear for an Inquisitor.

EDIT

I have learned a lot from my last two solo games and am now playing another solo Inquisitor who reached the experience cap before entering Nashkel Mines. That's a first!

As a result the rest of the game before Baldur's Gate was a walkover.

One tactic that I have never tried before with a paladin is using the domination scroll at Ulgoth's to charm Algernon against Tranzig. I've used mages to do it, but never a paladin. Usually I have a party and I get Montaron to do the dirty. >:)

Here are the details.

Journal of Guy the Good, Inquisitor
    0o5fvfsu1z22.jpg
    At the FAI, I did all the hard work against Tarnesh, but a guard got the experience. :(
    d1vbnn07aqiv.jpg
    However, I did get the experience for helping Mellicamp
    yzl0os4s8q8w.jpg
    North of Beregost I took om and beat an ogre, albeit with difficulty.
    ug5hd7uok0hg.jpg
    I then pleased Tenya by getting her bowl back, and after heading south killed Zordral.
    j38nwyez7q01.jpg
    I then took on Greywolf. As he was winning the fight, I took him to the mines where the guards helped me. I then led him to a secluded spot to kill him.
    t2ro7i19ks1q.jpg
    5qyicn4x4d0d.jpg

I then reunited Alfie and Rufie before killing Vax and Zal.
    433onyb5f6ir.jpg
    Krumm however proved to be a bit harder.
    fxkycsm3weak.jpg

Killing Krumm proved to be difficult, but Ingot was easier.
    c0jxn94jnlob.jpg
    l28shfzcb3wp.jpg

Heading west I killed some ogres.
    gzr2go3tmrx9.jpg
    After raiding a cave, I took on a polar bear north of the gnoll citadel.
    reeai72qvvrr.jpg

I bumped into a wolf in transit and then killed Zargal.
    5stnysk3h5tz.jpg

wsp7vxmwrej3.jpg

I'll finish posting it up when I have had a break tomorrow.

Going in search of Mutamin I met up with Peter, Lindin et al first.
    vt3rf21ie0rh.jpg
    I then went basilisk hunting.
    5pz8oqupv7bz.jpg
    6f84587cubvz.jpg
    d1mws6vbxsrt.jpg
    Until we finally caught up with Mutamin.
    5n5obfwu4ct9.jpg
    I then went sirine hunting using protection from evil a lot.
    nwscgwk1qnbq.jpg
    bgidzuqt8bhb.jpg
    In a cave I was accosted by flesh golems and was badly hurt.
    oa7s8m7bxp9c.jpg
    b20gdnxwzxpc.jpg
    However a long rest did me the world of good.
    u41n8c1v4tru.jpg
    Blackravenjessejmc
    edited July 2020
    Pics
    s84flmxargsh.jpg
    yb6rje23tfsb.jpg
    tcaxwfz0796x.jpg
    tc2uulnhik2j.jpg
    Grond0Wise_GrimwaldAerakarEnuhal
  • EnuhalEnuhal Member Posts: 920
    @Mantis37 Congratulations! Well done!
    Mantis37Aerakar
    Hard luck @Blackraven. Adorar was a pure class druid btw, though quite possibly one with a vengeful streak!
    Grond0
  • jessejmcjessejmc Member Posts: 141
    Then lightning struck. End of game! The gods clearly did not like what I was doing.
    A chaotic evil berserker with a rep of 20!
    The first time that I have had death by lightning!

As funny as it can be, there's a reason my weather is turned off...
    Wise_Grimwald
    jessejmc wrote: »
    Then lightning struck. End of game! The gods clearly did not like what I was doing.
    A chaotic evil berserker with a rep of 20!
    The first time that I have had death by lightning!

As funny as it can be, there's a reason my weather is turned off...

Whilst a bit annoying, I am pleased that I had the weather switched on. It stops the game being too predictable. Extremely powerful people get killed in storms, earthquakes, forest fires and the like in RL.
    Aerakar
    edited July 2020
    Importing my last Blackguard but this time named Blight to avoid confusion with last run. Starting stats plus inventory upon finishing Candlekeep below.
    ki1pxqo767go.jpg
    kx0lzyof9227.jpg
    After the ambush, after picking up Gorion's possessions which included a bag of holding (My only modification) I headed eastwards picking up a diamond and a ring of protection on the way. I fought wolves and an ogre before heading to Beregost for a rest in an inn there.
    g265g3h718jq.jpg
    At the inn I calmed down Marl and bought a tome which I gave to Firebead.
    I accidentally got into a fight with Silke. The fight ended badly for everybody involved but me due to Silke aiming a lightning bolt at me which I evaded by dashing into the inn.
    huvfokil9d7w.jpg
    eewaz5e6pa4b.jpg
    As a result, there was a lot of loot for me to pick up. :)
    Upon heading west to find Perdue's sword, I killed the gnolls that had stolen it.
    xrzvo4mo2wn3.jpg
    I had an unexpected boost to my reputation by getting Mellicamp back into shape.
    scbfwik8lp23.jpg
    A number of people asked me to help them to the south and as a result I fought some ogrillon who were carrying a letter for Mirianne.
    84ac31tfdv5r.jpg
    I picked up the Colquetle Amulet near the road and a decent suit of armour in Nashkel before bumping into Alfie who I helped find Rufie. He gave me a suitable reward.
    xislhjw44lsn.jpg
    Nearby Vax and Zal picked a fight with me. They didn't live to regret it!
    0x08n7mmdylm.jpg
    51eg8c8vzyjw.jpg
    Greywolf was the next one to try and fail to kill me. The guards at the mine helped, but it was I who killed him.
    0zjwuvt0uyng.jpg
    I returned to the Carnival for a rest but almost immediately afterwards got into more conflict.
    d2wdnrkk5co0.jpg
    rtkxrnm5z8jw.jpg
    More conflict awaited me to the west when I had a confrontation with Caldo and Krumm.
    bqbs0dfbbqe9.jpg
    Returning 'Drienne's cat boosted my reputation yet more and nearby killing Ingot supplied me with an impressive halberd.
    pmc6ioirgiak.jpg
    2lg91o2alwfu.jpg
    Further to the west Gnarl and Hairtooth met their doom.
    3dfd1zuu4agu.jpg
    d8xp1vomrdud.jpg
    After looting a cave I headed north where I killed a polar bear and was suitably rewarded.
    d5w5ftxpdqev.jpg
    l31cra2bu5yf.jpg
    Further north I acquired a decent sword for my left hand when I killed Neville the bandit.
    w8y1peink3an.jpg
    To the north I helped Charleston Nib and Brage.
    3yzipjkvtiqx.jpg
    fyeyfue5q9fy.jpg
    This resulted in me reaching level 5.
    p3roq9wwqzj0.jpg
    After stopping off at Beregost to deliver a letter and an amulet, I headed north again in the hope of entering Baldur's Gate. In this I was unsuccessful, but due to killing Sonner for his magical weapon I was able to help the priestess Tenya who promised me a reward in the future.
    ak6v9uyewqp2.jpg
    Nearby I fought and killed an ankheg before heading south where I put an end to a plague of them.
    w45wvxqfpx7v.jpg
    mq55ppm2yikn.jpg
    d8v2y2vgyzq5.jpg
    rday1ljxozng.jpg
    Farmer Brun, needless to say, wasn't pleased, but taking him the news was enough to take me to level 6.
    Being that bit stronger helped me to kill two of them at a time.
    fythyehgkx5z.jpg
    I went to Beregost to sell the shells. Before going to that area, the sum total of my gold was 0gp as I had bought some expensive items at the carnival. I am now moderately wealthy.
    At the temple I was asked to kill Basilus which I did remarkably easily.
    nzixmw3tbjg5.jpg
    In transit a band of bandits attacked and none of them survived.
    675l2vexvlbe.jpg
    29r1589u29ik.jpg
    In Beregost I killed some spiders.
    aeim4tt32ay9.jpg
    Karlat attacked me but because of a scroll that I had purchased, I was able to get the help of Algernon. Sadly he died and more hapily, so did Karlat.
    xzbtggutagmj.jpg
    cg3zsiefrbqu.jpg
    Having bought protection from basilisks, I went hunting them and ended up fighting some "adventurers whilst there."
    krgbm26ttb58.jpg
    c81dkiye8g8g.jpg
    tu43f909g4il.jpg
    I tried taking on Droth and ended up fleeing to the Friendly Arms to recuperate.
    b5a0od9mizqz.jpg
    However, upon returning, I was able to prevail against both him and Shoal.
    p0y5jxosr0f8.jpg
    mmt2ya67dvvw.jpg
    I found Arcand's ring and killed some sirine.
    qw5jv0zawbtl.jpg
    2dq3modn6q44.jpg
    I then went to Durlag's Tower.
    6u83h027elqb.jpg
    And left when I deemed it too unsafe.
    ntjelvz044uu.jpg
    0h83anjjffdu.jpg
    I was able to collect some decent armour before I did so.
    EnuhalMantis37Aerakarjessejmc