Skip to content

[v1.50] Recorder, a gnome lorekeeper NPC for BG:EE, SoD and EET

Comments

• kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    edited May 2020
    I've come across another issue. I'll put it behind a spoiler alert
    wrt the reward for Recorder's quest at the end of Ulcaster dungeon.
    I gave Mark Harmon's Blade to Kale, and he was doing great with it at first. However I've noticed it is ineffective against some magic resistant creatures that can only be damaged by magical weapons - mustard jellies, and the golems at Seawatch/the Lighthouse. They seem to treat it as a non magical weapon. It happens even if I increase his strength to 18, so it isn't that he can't hit hard enough to overcome the creature's damage resistance.

Is this meant to happen, or is it a glitch?
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,054
    edited May 2020
    @kiwidoc It's a bug, it needs a magic tag so it's not considered a normal weapon. I've uploaded a fix now in version 1.34, it will work on ongoing saves.
    Thanks for the quick reply. How can I update my current game to make this happen?
    edited May 2020
    @kiwidoc You can just redownload the entire mod from the download link, or under https://github.com/Skitia/Recorder-BG1/tree/master/Recorder/Items, just download X3RSWORD.itm into your override folder so it replaces the old one. Given the update is so minimal, the latter is probably easiest.
    Many, many thanks. This is such an incredibly fun team and you are so quick with answers - I'm very impressed.
    I know how much quick support means to people. Thanks for sharing your feedback and pointing out these bugs.
    I'm still enjoying playing with this team very much indeed. Is Kale going to be available for BG2:EE?
    edited May 2020
    Yes, sometime this summer if I can focus and keep devoting a few hours a day on mod-work. My original goal was spring, but the times threw all of that out the window. You can follow progress here:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/78071/work-in-progress-28-skitias-npcs-for-baldurs-gate-2#latest

I'll easily hit the 30% mark this weekend and be around 35% by next weekend, I think.
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Member Posts: 176
    One small thing, after finding the Paladin for Recorder in Candlekeep and returning for the reward I was given the potion, however my journal did not update and show the mini quest as being complete.
    Good catch. I fixed it just now, the quest should now close (As well as reward 50 xp which probably didn't happen either) and give an approval increased message for future players.
    megamike15
    edited July 2020
    I have a new problem.

I redid my install to take advantage of bugfixes and removal of a couple components of SCS and Tweaks Anthology that shouldn't go anywhere near the journal system so I haven't included them.

Updated:

Recorder from v 1.34 to 1.35
    Skie, the Cost of One Girl's Soul from v 3.2 to 3.3
    Will of the Wisps from v1.5 to 1.6
    The Beaurin Legacy v3.6 to v3.6.1
    Isra NPC v3.1 to 3.2
    Varshoon NPC v6.1 to 6.4

Somehow these changes or a corruption caused by my mod installation caused the chapter to get stuck on "The Black Pits" in my journal and entries are not been listed as quests (in progress or complete). This persists between the prologue in Candlekeep and Chapter 1 all the way to when I arrive at the Friendly Arm Inn.

@LavaDelVortel , @jmaeq , @Gwendolyne , @Skitia

I'll try doing a test install later with just these mods and see which one is causing the problem.

EET install. Attached Weidu.log and Weidu-BGEE.log for completeness.
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    I have a new problem.

I redid my install to take advantage of bugfixes and removal of a couple components of SCS and Tweaks Anthology that shouldn't go anywhere near the journal system so I haven't included them.

Updated:

Recorder from v 1.34 to 1.35
    Skie, the Cost of One Girl's Soul from v 3.2 to 3.3
    Will of the Wisps from v1.5 to 1.6
    The Beaurin Legacy v3.6 to v3.6.1
    Isra NPC v3.1 to 3.2
    Varshoon NPC v6.1 to 6.4

Somehow these changes or a corruption caused by my mod installation caused the chapter to get stuck on "The Black Pits" in my journal and entries are not been listed as quests (in progress or complete). This persists between the prologue in Candlekeep and Chapter 1 all the way to when I arrive at the Friendly Arm Inn.

@LavaDelVortel , @jmaeq , @Gwendolyne , @Skitia

I'll try doing a test install later with just these mods and see which one is causing the problem.

EET install. Attached Weidu.log and Weidu-BGEE.log for completeness.

I tested all of these mods and none of them were the culprit.
    Glad you narrowed it down! Could just be the need to make a new-game from start or the like.
    Yeah, I'm figuring it might have been a corrupted install somehow. Right now I'm going through and making sure all the kits work as advertised. And I'll see what else I can test with the current install before redoing things. At some point 2.6 is going to come in and make everything exciting for a bit most likely. I've also got my eye on several mods including yours for updates/new BG2 versions as well.

An interesting thing I've found about having so many NPC mods with crossmod content is despite the additional bugfixing, I don't feel quite as obliged to include the Bioware NPCs I always include. It isn't anything different really, just a feeling of greater freedom to choose whichever NPCs I want to use in this game in a more organic fashion. It also makes the Bioware NPCs feel less special and makes the world feel like even more of one of adventurers, who are around every corner and under every door mat it seems.

In other words, your work is much appreciated. Thank you.
    megamike15
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    with me i tend to only use at most 2 npc mods. if i'm using more i need atlest 1 canon npc which tends to be imoen.

this is due to if you have a full npc mod party some triggers may break.

for example in imoen romance there was a time having a whole party of npc mods would break her talk when she rejoins that party as it has checks for interjections with the bioware/beamdog npcs.
    edited August 2020
    Recorder is now at 1.36
    -Made Banters EET compatible. This should fix all remaining EET problems, so I will see about getting this mod added to the EET working mod lists.
    -Fixed some Journal Entries duplicating with approval remark entries.
    -Added some disapproving dialogue if you decided to take the Lantan Telescope.
    -Probably some other spelling changes fixed.

A Test Version of Recorder's BG2 mod should come out sometime this month too. Toni Morrison's Beloved plays a slight bit of inspiration in the writing of the story that is developed.
    Post edited by Skitia on
    megamike15Cahir
  • Necromanx2Necromanx2 Member Posts: 1,246
    edited September 2020
    Minor item to note.
    When I first meet Recorder in Candlekeep she asks me to go tell Sir Mark that it is time to go. I go to Candlekeep in and Find Sir Harmon and tell him. I am guessing that Mark is his first name and Harmon is his last name (I am guessing a singer someone likes perhaps). Are the names supposed to be different?
    [spoiler/]
    edited September 2020
    Ah, good point. I changed his name for the next update I do to display his full name, since I think I flip too often between first and last to cut it down to just his first.

Thus, Recorder 1.38 now has that naming confusion addressed.
    Another question.
    I found that I could have Gustav (Ferret) come out of Recorders pack by using a special ability. It seems to have a duration before it goes back in the pack.
    Can I get info on what the Ferret can do and how long it lasts?
    [spoiler/]
    edited September 2020
    Since it's not a secret, I'll respond without a spoiler or vagueness!

8vzh103xrtcg.png

He can scout (Primary intention) as well as pickpocket and be spoken to by either the player or Recorder. It is mainly a roleplay addition for the character.

Necromanx2
    Hi @Skitia,
    Looking for help on a quest.
    I am in Baldurs Gate and trying to find Mark Harmon's family. I went into a house north of the Ducal Palace and found a child who Recorder talked too. It seemed this was the house as Recorder said "don't you recognize me" and the child asked about his uncle and Recorder said speak to your mom. Problem is, I can't find mom to speak to. I went during the day and night and only the child is ever home.
    How am I supposed to turn the sword in to finish the quest?
    [spoiler/]
    Let's try resetting the quest in case something broke:
    Type in
    C:SetGlobal("X3RecSecQuest","GLOBAL",2) into the console,
    and then manually talk to Recorder.
    Then go outside of the house (or really anywhere in that area), another talk should interject.
    Then when you go into the house they should spawn. They spawn on the first floor, in the adjacent rooms to the entry room.
    If that doesn't work, type in:
    C:SetGlobal("X3ReBaldurQuest","GLOBAL",2)
    That should force them to spawn.

If you still have issues, let me know!

The bug may have been a timer that never finished expiring. I shortened the timer in the recently uploaded 1.39, though downloading it won't fix it for you, so follow the instructions in spoiler.
    Hi Skitia,
    I initiated a talk with Recorder outside the house and she told me about the house. I went in and found Cindy and her hubby. I spoke to them and my journal updated, but not the quest. The sword was not given over either. The journal says that maybe in the future Recorder and Cindy could talk again.
    Was the sword suppose to be taken by Cindy? I still have it. Is this quest over or is there more?
    [spoiler/]
    edited October 2020
    It depends if you decided to keep it or not...at least that is how it *should* work. But I found a bug that prevented taking the sword if you were planning to give it away. This is fixed in 1.4

The quest does end though, you'll see the resolution at the beginning of SoD in regards to the quest note.
    Thanks!
    Never even got an option. The sword never came up in Cindy's rant against Recorder. She just said I don't even get ashes and the conversation ended. I had the sword in the party at the time (I still have it).
    It won't break anything in regards to SoD if you continue as is, but if you download the new version and reload prior to talking to Cindy, everything will go as you expected it to.
    Necromanx2
    Hi @Skitia ,
    I got Recorder in SoD at the start of the march to Dragonspear and she has none of the equipment I had on her. She reset to her starting equipment and only has 64k XP instead of the XP she had from BGEE and the start of SoD.
    Vienxay was fine and kept here equipment and XP.
    I'll have to get my playthrough to SoD to see what happened. 64K might be accurate if she had less before, and most of her unequiped equipment goes to the player chest.

Did you perchance save and reload it at least once before picking her up again? I find SoD messes up with mod companions sometimes if there isn't a reload after the first save for some reason.
    I finished Korlaz dungeon with 201k XP for Recorder. All the equipment she had equipped is gone.
    I did reload the game and got Recorder again. This time she got 161k XP, but still just her original equipment. So the XP varies between 64k and 161k, but she loses all the equipment and does not keep the higher XP she earned.
    I made a save that I can reload. I'll strip her and then give her XP using cheat code and give her equipment back. So I can get past this.
    Again Vienxay worked fine. Kept equipment and XP. I'll see what happens with Emily when I get her back.
    edited October 2020
    I tested this just now by importing one of my saves, everything goes fine, and my Recorder had kept her xp and items. Granted I imported and didn't get auto-transitioned from the final battle of BG1

I think what is happening is in your save is for some reason it isn't showing Recorder was ever in the party in the past. Maybe dismissing her and re-recruiting her might force the flag been in party to happen.

You can also check this in EEKEEPER, if you save the game before leaving the dungeon and then opening it up in EEKEEPER, see if the Been in Party is checked mark for Recorder. If it's not, then a new Recorder is spawned instead of the one you had, with xp varying on your own (I think the max she starts with is 161,000)