Skip to content

32:9 support?

histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,442
I recently got new ultra wide monitor with 32:9 5120x1440 resolution. It seems that the game doesn't go that wide and it seems stop at 21:9. Is there any way to get full screen on this monitor?

gv7ak14scfef.jpg

Comments

• histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,442
    edited February 2020
    This has one other problem too, mouse scrolling. It works every direction conveniently just throwing mouse cursor there. But on the right it needs to be on the edge of the UI, and it doesn't work if it's in the dark area, which isn't so convenient.

I tried changing resolution from Baldur.lua manually, but couldn't get the game to scale to 32:9.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    for the scrolling you can also use the keyboard arrows, and with a such large screen you should not anyway scroll to the sides too often.

about allowing to the engine to use a 32.9 resolution i can not help you, is beyond my knowledge.
    but i ask myself what is the real advantage to do it, the games are not designed to be played like so and you would probably only see areas already explored in which you don't have anything more to do or fog of war.

probably at your place (and told by a person that is using a 4:3 monitor without his gaming being affected on those isometric games, while a larger one would make modern ones, 3d with first person or over the shoulder view, more enjoyable) i would play in windowed mode instead of full screen, setting the window to match the maximum resolution supported.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I am not sure such a resolution would make sense for games. Basically you have one monitor instead of two monitors extended side by side.

I remember @Troodon80 had 2x2 monitors on a 4k uhd line up which was doable but not comfortable. Maybe he has some tips for you if he is still around.

You could buy a second monitor and extend them vertically and get back into 16:9 :wink:. Silly I know.
    edited March 2020
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    for the scrolling you can also use the keyboard arrows, and with a such large screen you should not anyway scroll to the sides too often.

about allowing to the engine to use a 32.9 resolution i can not help you, is beyond my knowledge.
    but i ask myself what is the real advantage to do it, the games are not designed to be played like so and you would probably only see areas already explored in which you don't have anything more to do or fog of war.

probably at your place (and told by a person that is using a 4:3 monitor without his gaming being affected on those isometric games, while a larger one would make modern ones, 3d with first person or over the shoulder view, more enjoyable) i would play in windowed mode instead of full screen, setting the window to match the maximum resolution supported.
    Yeah just thought to mention the scrolling problem too, as it's an obvious bug. 32:9 monitors are fairly new thing in gaming, and this seems like pretty trivial thing to fix, if its an engine limitation which it seems to be. This is the first game I've tried where I haven't got it to scale to the whole screen.

Well it's nice to always use the whole real estate. And like you said, it should lessen scrolling, I'm sure there're areas where multiple things you need to do are in the same screen. But now I can't test that, beyond 21:9 wide that is. Windowed mode doesn't scale either, when it reaches 21:9 it starts to give black sides.

@Iroumen Seems that he hasn't been active almost two years now. Yeah this is basically two 16:9 side by side, and after using it couple months, I'm happy that they're finally doing these kind of monitors.
    histamiini wrote: »
    Well it's nice to always use the whole real estate.
    is true, but up to a certain limit.
    even if you have a ferrari or mclaren car is probably not so wise to use that car to go downtown to make some shopping, if you own also an other car.the same is for monitors and gaming, a 21:9 aspect ratio is more then enough to play those isometric games, imo to go wider does not give any advantage.

yes, there are maybe a couple of situations where you can split the party and the tasks the 2 sub groups have to do happen to be at the same vertical level of the map, because other way you have to scroll anyway, but it is not granted at all that you decide to split the party in those situations.

as i told you my 4:3 monitor is perfectly adequate for isometric games, while i would like to have a wider one to play other types of games or to watch movies.
    i would like it also to do photo editing as i could keep the control windows away from the window where the image is displayed.
    there are a lot of situations where a wide screen is useful, but playing isometric games is not one of those.
    like driving in the town traffic you can not use your ferrari at its full potential you can not use for those games your new monitor at its full potential.
    even managing to get the 32:9 aspect ratio it would be only annoying, as you would have to reach anyway the far sides to scroll horizontally, just as it happens now with the black sides. without any real advantage.
    and you would also have a black side every time you are not in the center of the map, as the maps are created to play with 4:3 monitors, that was the ones used when those games was created.

i believe that you misunderstood my suggestion that was not to play windowed to try to get a 32:9 aspect ratio, but to do it to play at 21:9 or even less, avoiding the black areas and having a more convenient lateral scrolling.

i am sure that you will use at best the monster aspect ratio that you have, your real estate as you call it. but you will do in other situations, with those games it gives you no advantage at all and potentially it gives disadvantages, like more mouse work to do lateral scroll.
    edited March 2020
    Mouse work isn't really relevant, as I use high DPI mouse, and I can reach side to side pretty effortlessly, from center to side is like few centimeters worth of mouse movement. Neither is the mouse scrolling bug here, as using keys to scroll is much better for managing your party anyway. And the situation like you said, splitting party to battle different sides of map would be very interesting change of game play. Anyway my reason to post this was not really to discuss benefits of ultra wide screen. Baldur's Gate is designed for 4:3, but it works for 16:9 and 21:9, there's no reason why it shouldn't work for 32:9 too.
    true, but imho there is also no reason why it should do it, as the next version of the game will be the last one i hope that the developers put their effort in fixing the remaining bugs and things not working properly (like the way the simulacrum retains the original mage's spells) instead of making possible aspect ratios that don't change in any way the gaming experience.

but you can put a feature request in the redmine if you like.
    edited March 2020
    Yeah, reported the feature request/ bug. It could be as easy as just increasing few ratio threshold numbers they didn't expect to get, well hopefully. Would be nice to get a fix, because ultra wide screens are only going to get more popular.
  • MyragMyrag Member Posts: 328
    How about trying 3840x1080 resolution.

It's still the same aspect ratio but maybe game has hardcoded max width to 4k?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    lroumen wrote: »
    I am not sure such a resolution would make sense for games. Basically you have one monitor instead of two monitors extended side by side.

I remember @Troodon80 had 2x2 monitors on a 4k uhd line up which was doable but not comfortable. Maybe he has some tips for you if he is still around.

You could buy a second monitor and extend them vertically and get back into 16:9 :wink:. Silly I know.

Yeah, check this thread: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/673377/#Comment_673377
    edited March 2020
    @Myrag That doesn't really change anything, as it seems to be ratio bounded. I think when Beamdog were doing EE, there wasn't 32:9 even on horizon, which is why it doesn't scale there.

@JuliusBorisov Yeah, the resolution there is actually higher than mine, but because it's in 16:9, it works. So there seems to be a threshold problem in the scaler.

There's also another bug in 32:9 beyond the mouse scrolling one. When I load the game, it loads at certain resolution. Then when I touch mouse wheel to zoom, it results in a lower top resolution, and the original cannot be reached again.
    Original highest resolution
    jswe851aop9m.jpg
    Highest when zoom is touched
    mdhyhgjxffv2.jpg

Btw, here are some screens from the games I've already tried.
    Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    UXEt6Zm.jpg
    Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
    LriqgWD.jpg
    Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall Unity
    ulKctj8.jpg
    Kingdom Come: Deliverance
    wle73rH.jpg
    Witcher 3
    BuPTkNB.jpg
    Grand Theft Auto V
    frY2em1.jpg
    Total War: Warhammer II
    BKQ1KSa.jpg
    Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
    u5vpbkE.jpg
    Baldur's Gate EE
    ExHljFn.jpg
    awesome scenes of first person view modern 3d games. to play them with such monitor should be a great experience, both aesthetically speaking, beautiful wide landscapes to see, and as game play, as you can see what happens in a large field of view without loosing resolution.
    as i told you your monitor is not designed for 2d isometric games, why do you compare apples with pears, even having a monster monitor, let's say 50 by 10 feets, the resolution of the isometric game would be the one of the maps, maps created for small 4/3 monitors that was the only ones available at the time.
    see in your last picture how small is the round area with more light, even ignoring the black areas at the sides, that is the only area you actually use to play the game the 99.99% of the time.
    the bg battles are designed for that, the rest of the area is black, covered by the fog of war, unless you have already explored so you don't have anything more to do there, unless you use a spell that reveals all the area only to enjoy how big is your monitor.

be glad that you can play modern games with it, but i really don't see how your experience playing those old 2d isometric can be enhanced by a so large monitor, even with the 2 black areas at the sides it is already overkilling, getting rid of them probably you would have the whole map covering only a part of the monitor, with some black area at the sides because the monitor resolution is actually wider then the map, or would have a very blurred image by zooming too much.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2020
    lroumen wrote: »

To the best of my knowledge @Troodon80 is not on the team any more. Despite him having the blue background.
    @gorgonzola Yes, the games with a real horizons are the games that benefit most of ultra wide screens. Because there's more information to left and right, than there's in the sky area. Nevertheless, this is something that shouldn't be overlooked in other games. As it reveals some extra game play options, even in isometric games. For example I can have two battles far away each other, at the same time. I can block some reinforcements happening in somewhere etc. Nobody knows how it works, until it's tried. And it should work in BG because the resolution isn't a problem, something trivial in the code is, I think.
    edited March 2020
    histamiini wrote: »
    it reveals some extra game play options, even in isometric games. For example I can have two battles far away each other, at the same time. I can block some reinforcements happening in somewhere etc. Nobody knows how it works, until it's tried.
    as you have already a very wide aspects ratio and high resolution in the infinity engine games, not as wide as your monitor would support, but anyway extremely wider and with so higher resolution compared to the ones the games was designed for, please report here how often in rl gaming you find such situations. normal rl infinite engine gaming, not changing your game habits only to use the better resolution and aspect ratio.
    ie not splitting the party only to fight in 2 small groups if it mean a weaker tactic compared to fight with the whole party first certain enemies and then move the whole party to face the 2nd group of enemies.
    as i told i am quite convinced that the situations where it can happen and is useful are very rare if exisent at all, i am convinced of it as i used to play the games in the native not EE resolutions back in the days of the old tomato computers and now i play with 1289 x 1024 but my playing experience is changed, but not so drastically. i have to scroll a little less when i send my thieves to clear whole areas stabbing, but if i do so any ways my attention has to be focused on them, having also the party fighting in the same moment would only be an hassle. going from the games native resolution to the one i use now has improved my gaming, but i doubt that more then that is really needed, and even at 1289 x 1024 the toons are a little too small and i often have to zoom a little to enjoy better the game.

but as with my monitor i can not test how better resolution and larger aspect ratios work i am really interested to your rl experience results, more then your hypothetical guessing that it can be useful, and i am open to have my opinion proved wrong. also each player has his personal taste and playstyle and even if i like to spread the battles on a quite large area to tactically use the party mobility instead to packing them all together and charge frontally other players can like to spread even more then me the battle.

Post edited by gorgonzola on
    edited July 2020
    Any news on this? Taking screenshots is also annoying with 32:9, as it cuts 21:9 starting from left, and leaving black bar only left side. I tried reading my bug report on support pages, but they seem down?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    The patch notes for 2.6 are still being created. You can find all the news on the next patch here: https://forums.beamdog.com/categories/the-road-to-2-6
    The patch notes for 2.6 are still being created. You can find all the news on the next patch here: https://forums.beamdog.com/categories/the-road-to-2-6
    Oh I can test 2.6 Beta already, didn't realize. Going test after my current BG1 playthrough.