Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    @Grond0 A sad way to end a run. :'( Getting killed makes a much better ending.
    Grond0Aerakar
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Ouch. That's not the only way that encounter can tank your reputation, too. I recall one time when Kruin cast a lightning bolt at a party member wearing the cloak of reflection... the bounces killed multiple commoners, and the kills were charged against the cloak wearer. Such inconsiderate folk, attacking you in the open where anyone could get hurt.
    Grond0Corey_RussellWise_GrimwaldCharlestonianTemplar
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 996
    @jmerry actually one of my party members was wearing the cloak of reflection - and I do believe a lightning bolt got fired off and I think it did hit commoners - that could be exactly what happened.
    Wise_GrimwaldCharlestonianTemplar
    edited August 2020
    Found the most intriguing little bug related to my fallen paladins - even though I cannot manually cast any spells, and also even though I cannot un-memorize spells either as the divine spell button doesn't show me anything, the AI WILL cast my paladin spells in combat!!! While paladin spells are pretty weak, so doesn't really make much difference in the long run, this is a rather curious bug.
    Post edited by Corey_Russell on
    Grond0EnuhalWise_GrimwaldCharlestonianTemplar
    @Corey_Russell Sad that they fell and no way to recover. :'(
    CharlestonianTemplarCorey_Russell
    @CharlestonianTemplar I like the write-up. Where did you get the Dorn Portrait? It's pretty good. Not pretty and not good, but you know what I mean. :D
    CharlestonianTemplar
  • CharlestonianTemplarCharlestonianTemplar Member Posts: 855
    @CharlestonianTemplar I like the write-up. Where did you get the Dorn Portrait? It's pretty good. Not pretty and not good, but you know what I mean. :D

I think it is the one included in the latest version of the game if I am not mistaken. I don't have any portrait packs installed, so that is my assumption - although almost all of my NPCs have a different portrait than the usual, so I assume that's it.
  • CharlestonianTemplarCharlestonianTemplar Member Posts: 855
    Journal of Nigel de Naseby

I have discovered that it IS killable. I put Nigel in the middle of Cloudkill and then used a lot of wand of the Heavens spells and other spells and EVENTUALLY he panicked and later on died. It is far, far harder than pre-EE.

So it wasn't a bug, so game over. I don't think that future Charnames will be visiting the island though. It is way too dangerous for a no-reload game.

It is ridiculously hard but I make myself go there. Once through there I am usually pretty sure of success. I usually don't even start posting my PC runs until AFTER The Isle of Balduran for the very reason you state. I use the notes I make to go back and do the write-ups.
    Wise_Grimwald
    edited August 2020
    Grond0 said...
    Upstairs, Riggilo accepted a lock of demon hair, before realizing it acted as another form of lock.
    It was actually nymph hair, not demon hair. I would have thought a demon and a nymph look quite a bit different. Do demons even have hair?
    CharlestonianTemplar
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Grond0 said...
    Upstairs, Riggilo accepted a lock of demon hair, before realizing it acted as another form of lock.
    It was actually nymph hair, not demon hair. I would have thought a demon and a nymph look quite a bit different. Do demons even have hair?

A succubus demon is nearly as comely as a nymph and has hair. The thing that gives the player a lock of her hair in Durlag's Tower to trick Riggilo is a succubus, if I am not mistaken.
    Wise_GrimwaldCharlestonianTemplar
    A weird thing happens if you kill it. You get two lots of hair, nymph AND succubus. I'm not sure if that is true of the unmodded game though.
    CharlestonianTemplar
    The game calls the hair "nymph's hair". At least it does in my install.
    CharlestonianTemplarWise_Grimwald
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305

I can't remember back to vanilla, but this may well be something that the EE has corrected.
    lltl1dgdvczk.jpg
    CharlestonianTemplar

I have discovered that it IS killable. I put Nigel in the middle of Cloudkill and then used a lot of wand of the Heavens spells and other spells and EVENTUALLY he panicked and later on died. It is far, far harder than pre-EE.

So it wasn't a bug, so game over. I don't think that future Charnames will be visiting the island though. It is way too dangerous for a no-reload game.

It is ridiculously hard but I make myself go there. Once through there I am usually pretty sure of success. I usually don't even start posting my PC runs until AFTER The Isle of Balduran for the very reason you state. I use the notes I make to go back and do the write-ups.

If I go back there, I will do it with a full party. Whilst it IS possible with four, it is not the sort of task to try with that number no-reload IMO.
    CharlestonianTemplar
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    Grond0 wrote: »

I can't remember back to vanilla, but this may well be something that the EE has corrected.
    lltl1dgdvczk.jpg

This is what I see in my original unmodded GOG install.
    sfm7qf19n0uf.jpg
    (with insufficient lore the title is the same and the subtext shows as not identified)
    edited August 2020
    Seems so strange that the one party I have that makes is past Draconis would be a party of fallen paladins!!
    Indeed, however you changed your approach with a few buffs and more importantly observing when he is vulnerable to then use GWW. I'd say he's more vulnerable to that than brute force (perhaps with a bit of roleplayed redemption).
    Corey_Russell

If I go back there, I will do it with a full party. Whilst it IS possible with four, it is not the sort of task to try with that number no-reload IMO.
    Were you injuring it and it was healing (quite likely as Karoug has immense regeneration), or were you missing. Either way, from memory there is a cloud giant strength potion in one of the lower levels and if you use that plus an oil of speed with maybe a potion of heroism or similar the combat should be a lot easier. I have also found that sword + board pays in this combat (get AC to -8 or lower and he struggles to hit) while a two handed weapon or dual wielding is more likely to lead to a retreat.

(I usually have a low AC character draw their attention, and clear out his pack before having everybody focus on him as the remaining enemy)
    Grond0
    Jeanluc and his band of fallen paladins - micro- update.

Well, we have defeated Abizigal. And it literally took all our resources, but we defeated Balthsazar as well. Ravager was extremely difficult (3 deaths) but we managed it. Only Melissan left! This is my first time encountering Melissan in EE in single player.
    Grond0Wise_GrimwaldhistamiiniAerakar
    @Corey_Russell Congratulations on a great run.
    Corey_RusselljessejmcEnuhal