Skip to content

Avowed [Obsidian's open-world Skyrimesque RPG set in Eora]

13»

Comments

• DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    As with Julius, I salute Obsidian wanting to take their IP in a different direction. I'm optimistic at least that success from this game might generate a third PoE -- one where they hopefully learn to avoid the mistakes in Deadfire.

This game seems like a hard pass for me. I can't say I know enough to judge, but that intro video makes it seem very much like a re-skin of Skyrim, right down to the two hands -- it's not even a weapon loadout from the PoE games! I'll keep an eye on it, and thanks for bringing it to this forum, I probably wouldn't have seen the news for awhile otherwise. I could definitely see Obsidian pulling off some of the promising elements of Skyrim, such as the civil war/faction subquest very well.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited August 2020
    @kanisatha The way I break it down, its either:

Tactical
    Hack and Slash
    Reflex/Skill Based

The first can be RTWP, JRPG style, TB, RT. It can be done is almost any system, except for a first person perspective. You would have to leave the perspective to make it work.

The second is pretty self explanatory. The only "strategies" to employ would be weapon choice and kiting.

Reflex/Skill based is your Dark Souls, your Amalurs, etc. Not a lot of planning, but depending on your ability to react to enemies actions with a large emphasis on parries and dodges.

I think pretty much any RPG can be classed under one of these three.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    ThacoBell wrote: »

Tactical
    Hack and Slash
    Reflex/Skill Based

The first can be RTWP, JRPG style, TB, RT. It can be done is almost any system, except for a first person perspective. You would have to leave the perspective to make it work.

The second is pretty self explanatory. The only "strategies" to employ would be weapon choice and kiting.

Reflex/Skill based is your Dark Souls, your Amalurs, etc. Not a lot of planning, but depending on your ability to react to enemies actions with a large emphasis on parries and dodges.

So how would you clasify Disco Elysium, then? It's definitely RPG, but it's neither Tactical, Hack and Slash nor Reflex/Skill Based. There is virtually no combat in there.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    it's planescape torment if you removed the combat.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Cahir wrote: »

Tactical
    Hack and Slash
    Reflex/Skill Based

So how would you clasify Disco Elysium, then? It's definitely RPG, but it's neither Tactical, Hack and Slash nor Reflex/Skill Based. There is virtually no combat in there.

I think it can be inferred that he means any action RPG ;)
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Tactical
    Hack and Slash
    Reflex/Skill Based

Interactive narrative.
    edited August 2020
    @Cahir Sounds like an adventure game to me.
    de does still have rpg elements despite not having combat

quests
    skill checks
    gear that effects said skill checks
    choices that effect your character
    dialogue trees
    somewhat of a party if we include the skills talking to you.
    @Cahir Sounds like an adventure game to me.

Oh it is very much a rpg game, just without combat.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    It's the rarely seen not-action rpg
    Sounds like an adventure game with RPG elements. Much like the Quest for Glory series. Man, those were good games.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Sounds like an adventure game with RPG elements. Much like the Quest for Glory series. Man, those were good games.

It's actually closer to an RPG with adventure game elements. Or to be more precise: an isometric interactive visual novel point & click text adventure RPG of the Noir genre. But that's a mouthful to say.
    edited August 2020

So, is combat mandatory for a game to be considered RPG game? Don't think so. If one could take away combat completely in PST it would still be a great RPG.
    Post edited by Cahir on
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308

So, is combat mandatory for a game to be considered RPG game? Don't think so. If one could take away combat comoletely in PST it would still be a great RPG.
    Totally agree. And indeed this is what has become wrong with RPGs in recent years, imo, that combat has become the central and most important thing in RPGs. Combat is the least interesting part of an RPG for me, and I would absolutely reject any notion that you have to have combat for a game to be defined as an RPG. It is so refreshing and awesome that we now have at least a few RPGs being made without any combat or with minimal combat. Besides Disco Elysium, we also have the upcoming RPG Gamedec, and Sawyer's RPG project at Obsidian is also confirmed to be a 'no combat' game.

So, is combat mandatory for a game to be considered RPG game? Don't think so. If one could take away combat comoletely in PST it would still be a great RPG.

Everything I'm hearing about it in thread seems like the game uses adventure game mechanics when it comes to interacting with the world. EVERYTHING has RPG inspired mechanics these days. If a level systems and skills is all it takes, then Doom is not an RPG. When it comes to talking about genres these days, its probably more helpful to look at the dominant design philosophy. How is the game weighted? Are we looking at an adventure game with RPG elements, or an RPG with adventure game elements?

I feel like the Quests for Glory series is a hybrid that leans closer to adventure game mechanics. Would you say Disco Elysium leans closer to RPG than Quest for Glory does?
    Disco Elysium has everything that makes a crpg an rpg besides combat.
    That raises a lot of questions about conflict and resolution, but I don't want to clutter this thread dedicated to a completely different game.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    That raises a lot of questions about conflict and resolution, but I don't want to clutter this thread dedicated to a completely different game.
    Hey, it's totally fine. It's an interesting discussion to have. And FYI, there is a Disco Elysium topic in this subforum.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659

It's actually closer to an RPG with adventure game elements. Or to be more precise: an isometric interactive visual novel point & click text adventure RPG of the Noir genre. But that's a mouthful to say.

I think this should have been the name of the game!

I think this should have been the name of the game!

Isometric interactive visual novel & click text adventure RPG game of the year founder's collector's limited pre-order backer's edition is THE game of the century.

So, is combat mandatory for a game to be considered RPG game? Don't think so. If one could take away combat completely in PST it would still be a great RPG.

I DO want to touch back on this briefly. I think CONFLICT is necessary for an RPG, or at least for an RPG to be engaging. Combat is just by far the most common source of conflict utilized. A LOT can be though dialogue alone to set up/resolve conflict or even unique systems. Undertale, for example, had combat. But the recommended playstyle (which to most of the content and the true ending) was more of a "Dodge your aggressive opponents attacks and convince them you aren't a threat". Not entirely 0 combat, but more than just two sides trying to kill/overpower/defeat each other.
    lets just say thee is a section near the end that is very tense despite just being text and afew skill checks.