Skip to content

[v1.66] Vienxay, a Elven Shadowmage NPC for BG:EE + SoD and EET

Comments

• SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,054
    edited August 2020
    Vienxay's kit is actually under mage-thief. It shouldn't/doesn't take any mage kit slots because it's not considered a true mage kit. But if I ever use a mage kit, the above will be super helpful, since mages are easily the most likely to run into this issue.
  • Necromanx2Necromanx2 Member Posts: 1,246
    edited August 2020
    I get an interesting weirdness that has happened a couple times in BGEE now. Vienxay will answer with the wrong discussion when I ask about her siblings. She first say they are not interesting and then jumps to talking about Shadowcasting.

EDIT: It is easy to get past and it doesn't cause issues, but it seems the wrong talk set is grabbed if I ask about get siblings.
    aky5cjt1evlz.png

c9squ1gemvmy.png
    [spoiler/]
    Thanks, I have this fixed locally and I'll upload it to the master version tonight.
    Necromanx2
    edited August 2020
    And updated.

1.58 Includes:
    -Fixed Dialogue Issues.
    -Also adjusted some weirdness in her SoD spawn file so her level start is adjusted and she has more spells.
    Gusinda
    @Skitia question for you. If I run Vienxay (and Emily) through BGEE, will they keep all the equipment I have on them at the end on BG in SoD or is it all lost?
    Vienxay and Emily like the other SoD NPCs will keep everything they have equipped, but everything in their backpack slots will go into your player chest that follows you around.
    Necromanx2
    I just finished BGEE (starting SoD). I liked Vienxay! Her comments and the feel she gave off matched well. Would have been nice if she had more reflections of her past after dealing with her quest.
    Thanks for the feedback! Like your feedback in Emily, I'll keep it in mind when I get a chance to look at some more revision-work, which will probably after I get the BG2 test content out.
    I just noticed that Vienxay goes from a mage avatar in BGEE to a thief in SoD. Is that intentional or a game engine thing? Seems she likes the magic side more so the mage avatar made more sense to me.
    Hrm, I think that's the game engine. I like the magic avatar over the thief one too. (Mainly because I like seeing hair!). I can add a script to force the game engine to not do that on her first spawn, and I *think* subsequent spawns should be okay, else I can add the same code to all of her movement with you in camp scripts.
    I changed her using EEKeeper back to a mage avatar. Whatever way you think is best is fine with me. Just wanted to call it out in case you had a vision that you wanted.
  • Viper_AlveinViper_Alvein Member Posts: 22
    Hey @Skitia , came across a slight bug in the tp2 file when i was installing EET and just thought I should let you know so you can fix it with the next update. It was complaining about being unable to convert is_eet to an integer.
    I had a look at Kale's tp2 file to see if i could find a difference (I'm not familiar with weidu at all) and looks like it works now. I changed:
    ACTION_IF is_eet BEGIN
    to:
    ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~eet~ BEGIN

Looking forward to trying this out!
    edited September 2020
    Thanks! I've updated this locally and will upload the fix later today.

Edit: And updated. 1.59 has this fix included.
    Viper_Alvein
  • I am looking for a list of all of your NPC mods. I've scrolled through here and probably missed it but if you could pinpoint me that would be great. I just played Vienxay all the way through to the end of BG/TotSC and she was a fantastic NPC. Looking forward to playing Emile soon. If you have other stuff out there, I'd like to add them to my install also. You put a lot of work into these npc's and their background and I appreciate that. Thanks.
    edited September 2020
    Thanks!

Here is a list:

Emily

Helga

Kale

Recorder

There is also their BG2 work that is in Testing right now that anyone can test and give feedback on. It's got about 3 weeks left of work before a full version can be released, but is very close to being done.

NPCS in BG2

• EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @Skitia
    How does this interact with the Shadow Magic mod?
    edited October 2020
    It doesn't. Vienxay's Shadow Magic is the Shadowdancer's, which doesn't originate from Shar. She explains the difference between them and Shar's, and how easy it is to step into Shar's style especially if you are a mage, in her BG1 and BG2 talks.

That said, I did strongly consider at one point having her completely fall into Shar's magic, but ultimately decided against it.
    Vienxay is now at 1.6
    No fixes here, mainly another post-quest talk which happens in chapter 5 or later, and added a requirement for her final talk to happen chapter 6 or later, to space out her content better.
    Wise_Grimwaldmegamike15
    @Skitia
    What say you to making a version of Vienxay that uses the mod Shadow Magic?

Thankee!
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Skitia wrote: »
    Vienxay's Shadow Magic is the Shadowdancer's, which doesn't originate from Shar.

Thankee for that clarification!
    @AionZ
  • StSofiaWiseguyStSofiaWiseguy Member Posts: 2
    Concerning the crossmod between this npcs and others, does it matter in which order they are installed?
    E.g. in Emily's page you mention that she crossmods with Sirene. Does that mean we have to install Sirene first, or I got that all wrong?
    Wise_Grimwald
    The order shouldn’t matter. The only requirement if you are using the arcane archer class is that Emily comes after the kit mod.
    StSofiaWiseguyWise_GrimwaldIsewein
  • zelurkerzelurker Member Posts: 168
    Hi, just tested 1.60 with eet, recruited her near the friendly arm, and noticed she has 1/0 memorized spells ! Which means that if you want to replace her blind spell by something else, you can't, she has 0 spells slots at level 1 !
    edited November 2020
    I installed Vienxay on a new computer I have and she has 1/1 spells. I'm guessing some other mod you have installed is changing spells and spell-slots, as there isn't anything EET specific about spell slots.

A level up may also fix it, if it is just a weird glitch and it corrects itself at the next level.

It could also be that you installed 1.60, but had an older version installed previously and she had already spawned, so there is an older version of Vienxay baked in your game and not current. The older versions of Vienxay did have an issue of too little spell slots.

You could fix it with EEKEEPER and finding an effect that is reducing spell slots. Or if it's not an older version of Vienxay, but caused by a mod changing things, you can just remove the gloves from her inventory. They have a hidden effect that also reduce her spell slots by one to keep her from having an illegal extra-spell slot, so if you can live without the bonuses, that is another solution.

Or if you're nifty with Nearinfinity, you can just remove the spell reduction effect directly from the gloves.

One of those steps should fix the issue.
    Sorry I made a big reinstallation and this time she worked fine, 1/1 spells at level 1, I guess it was probably some effect of an option of "tome & blood", although I can't tell which one precisely, sorry for the post then !
    edited November 2020
    Skitia wrote: »
    It doesn't. Vienxay's Shadow Magic is the Shadowdancer's, which doesn't originate from Shar. She explains the difference between them and Shar's, and how easy it is to step into Shar's style especially if you are a mage, in her BG1 and BG2 talks.

That said, I did strongly consider at one point having her completely fall into Shar's magic, but ultimately decided against it.

Could you explain why you decided against it ? Is it because it would have been too hard to adapt this for a npc, the shadow magic mod is for the player after all, or is it story wise, a too evil path maybe ? I suspect it would have been a mess for an npc for at least the spells selection, you can't learn the standard spells, it's more like a sorcerer...

I tested the shadow magic mod quickly on my side, and I'd say it's more suited for bg2 than for bg1. In bg1 the mod implies the player feels its powers are very strong when he is actually very weak at level 1.

But Vinxay's prior master, the one we fight in cloakwood is supposed to use real shadow magic isn't she ? Well in this case the fight is really too easy, 1st she should have chosen a dark place for the encounter where she doesn't suffer any penalty, then it could have been something very original with all these special spells... Here the fight is hard only for the elementals, and there were only 2, the fire and the air one, I would have expected to see the 3 of them, and not be able to get the scrolls from her, well I suppose if we install stratagems then maybe she uses the scrolls in her inventory ! ;-) (although, these are the low level versions no ? The ones with a low chance that the elemental turns against the caster ? In this case it would be quite foolish to summon 3 of them !). But anyway except the elementals, and the stone skin spell which is cast automatically at the start of the fight she has almost nothing, she finished the fight trying to bash with her staff, which was quite surprising ! From the warnings of Vienxay I had expected a super hard fight, but actually it was more a standard fight + the 2 elementals...
    edited November 2020
    It didn't fit the ultimate direction I took her story. Despite being initially evil, I always felt she has shades of neutral, which is why her alignment can shift. And more so, in her development, she refuses the source of magic, rather than takes it on. It felt odd to have her take on something that ruined her whole life. Granted, none of my characters kept much of their original development ideas, except Emily, who I always had a strong feel about from the beginning.

As for the battle script: All three are scripted to be summoned in the battle from her apprentices (So there are actually three), but that doesn't mean they will succeed, or that one won't die before they get to do anything. It was originally a harder fight, as the shade assassins you see in Durlag's Tower would be spawned instead, but I tweaked it to be more balanced for a multitude of level ranges. Day and night doesn't have any effect on the conflict, obviously night time fighting is more sensible, but for gameplay purposes it can happen in either moment without any real penalties.

Still, it's probably one of the oldest scripts I wrote. If I re-wrote it, I'd probably have her never stop casting spells for instance, and give her the same unique spell Vienxay can get in SoD, as a preview.

Wise_GrimwaldAtise
    Updated to 1.61:
    -Made Vienxay's personal Final Quest encounter more challenging on higher difficulties in BG:EE1
    -Addressed some PID issues that could happen in EET.
    -Fixed a one-timer dialogue line firing twice.
    -Added a talk that fires if your reputation is high. (Or rather, restored and revised said talk, but removed the alignment shift.)
    megamike15Gusinda
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited February 2021
    i'm haveing this weird looping dialogue bug.

Vienxay keeps doing her hero talk even in pid and it seems to be overriding her normal talks as i had not had any new ones since this started.

i thought i might have had an out dated version so i downloaded the new one and it's still happening.

i'm currently in the cloak wood so worried this might break her quest.