Skip to content

Why are Wizard Slayers considerec so bad?

2»

Comments

• xscott71xxscott71x Member Posts: 63
    Grond0 wrote: »
    dualling to ... mage .
    WS/Mage dual class..sounds exciting!

• monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    Why ? Although it is probably viable and powerful (just like any F/M dual), I don't see any synergy between the kit and the mage class. On the contrary, it seems even contradictory RP-wise.
  • RigelRigel Member Posts: 251
    I have created a Halfling WS Dartmaster. Now at level 3, alone I was able to defeat Silke (I play with SCS Tactical mode). Usually, when I try to attack her even with a greater party, it can be a difficult fight because of the spell arsenal that she has (even Petrification !). Now I was able just with darts to kill her. I had the impression that the Miscast Magic worked well because she was not able to throw at me a lot of spells. Btw, in the text window, there is no message indicating that the Miscast Magic operates well. Is it normal ? Can we just deduce that it works when the caster is not able to launch any spell ? I would like to be sure that the victory was due to the Miscast Magic and not just the darts .
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    There are various levels of text feedback you can get. If you turn all those on in the options screen you will get messages when spell failure stops a caster from completing a spell.
    RigelJuliusBorisov
    Thks a lot. I guess that I managed to defeat Silke thanks to the MIscast. That's pretty impressive to be honest, I was hesitating to keep on with this character and now I am convinced. I will try to write her story.
    I have tried one more time and defeated her again. But I just saw the message "casting spell: failure" when I managed to hit her whilst she was preparing a spell. I did not see any message indicating that she was not able to launch any spell (even if indeed it seems that she was blocked because she just tried to hit me with her staff - btw she hits hard - but without spell). The only spells she used was a sequencer (Invisibility - Mirror Image) but from what I read the Miscast Magic from WS does not block sequencer, does it ?
    OK - looking back at your earlier comments I see you are playing with SCS. An SCS caster will take account of their chance of spell failure and will not even try to cast a spell if that's too great (unlike in the unmodded game). That's why Silke switched to trying to melee you, though as you say enemies are still able to use special abilities (including sequencers) despite miscast magic.

Note that the wizard slayer effect only lasts 5 rounds, so if you take the pressure off for a few rounds you will find SCS enemies starting to cast at you again ...
    RigelSkatanJuliusBorisovAerakar
    OK that explains everything. Thanks a lot @Grond0 . Pretty impressive, this offers a lot of interesting opportunities. I think I will try to keep on with this character until TOB.
    Grond0
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Depending on how much you enjoy breaking the game, Wizard Slayers can be very powerful at any level solo class. Arrows of detonation, Fire Seeds, any attack they can get that sets of an AoE makes everyone in the AoE catch the Miscast Magic effect.
  • CloutierCloutier Member Posts: 228
    I'm curious.
    1) Does mirror image block the 25% miscast magic on hit, when the hit from the Wizard Slayer strikes an image instead of the caster?
    Cloutier wrote: »
    I'm curious.
    1) Does mirror image block the 25% miscast magic on hit, when the hit from the Wizard Slayer strikes an image instead of the caster?

No - and neither does stoneskin.
    JuliusBorisovCloutierChronicler
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited October 2020
    A better question is whether the miscast magic effect is blocked by defensive spells such as mantle and whether it bypasses Kangaxx-type weapon immunities. If not, then you're mainly affecting foes you would have dispatched in fairly short order anyway.
    jsaving wrote: »
    A better question is whether the miscast magic effect is blocked by defensive spells such as mantle and whether it bypasses Kangaxx-type weapon immunities. If not, then you're mainly affecting foes you would have dispatched in fairly short order anyway.

You have to be able to hit the opponent to apply the effect. As noted earlier you can potentially get round defensive spells using area effects such as Fire Seeds, but those have to be targeted themselves on a valid target in order for the area effect to be applied to a nearby mage.
    WarChiefZekeJuliusBorisovCloutier
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    The way it's been explained to me, mechanically, in the engine or whatever, when you hit a mirror image, you've "struck" the target, but rather than removing their hitpoints it removes one of their mirror images.

Same with Stoneskin, and maybe some other similar protections. For the game to register that you've changed something with your hit, it must register that a hit has taken place, and it doesn't really have a terribly well defined concept in its programming of mirror images or stoneskins as separate targets from the caster itself.

However, in instances where they just completely no sell your attack. Where your attack doesn't do a darned thing. Then truly no hit has occurred, and any on hit effects, like a wizard slayer's disrupt magic, or an assassin's poison magic, or an enchanted sword's elemental damage, simply will not trigger.