Skip to content

Ask Beamdog

Comments

• fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    A very long time ago there was mention of Beamdog providing us modders with a 3d to 2d sprite tool that was used for SOD. Any chance you could ask about that. I'm a give and take kind of person, so in return I can give Beamdog my pink haired M'Khiin sprite ?
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Thanks for the reply @JuliusBorisov.

TR
    JuliusBorisov
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    edited September 2020
    @TarotRedhand You're welcome, sir. Again, my apologies for any role I may have played in the derailment of this thread. Please understand, this issue I have with the current state of NWN's combat UI has been grating on me for a very long time. The only other time I remember being this upset by a change in a computer game's mechanics is when Sony Online Entertainment (now Daybreak Games) released the Combat Upgrade followed by their "New Game Enhancements" for the long-deactivated Star Wars Galaxies. I've finally reached the point where I can't stand playing NWN:EE while that bug persists in wreaking havoc on my character's attack rolls. You have no idea how much I loathe its existence. That thing is a compromise between a revolving door and a rollercoaster gone bad. It just needs to die. Thank you for reading, and happy (healthy) gaming to all.

Edit: It has been brought to my attention that the analogy I used was a little extreme. I have since reworded it. My apologies. It was never my intent to show disrespect towards anyone with behavioral disorders. I, for one, have OCD like a Mike Foxtrotter. I guess that explains why I find this particular bug so antagonistic. Its miscalculation of attack bonuses is both chaotic and erratic to the point of literally screaming at me. There is neither anything I can do to tune it out nor stop it from reproducing, except stop playing NWN:EE altogether. It is imperative this bug be fixed as soon as humanly possible. Please. As someone suggested in a PM, I will be more careful in the future. Again, my apologies.
    Post edited by Prince_Raymond on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @TarotRedhand I've heard back that the dev team will try to look into it.

@kjeron Thanks, I've passed it around.
    TarotRedhandkjeron
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited August 2020
    DavidW wrote: »
    Noticing this a little late:
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Modding in the old IE engine was incredibly basic and very restricted. Mods are only able to do what they can do now BECAUSE Beamdog specifically opened up a lot of the coding.

This is an overstatement (speaking as someone who's modded very extensively in both vanilla and EE). The EE has some very nice features that make some things possible that were impossible, and some things simple that were difficult, but it doesn't fundamentally change things. SCS, for instance, leans significantly on EE (or ToBEx) features, but mostly to refine things, not change them dramatically. I could achieve 90% of what SCS does without them (and did: SCS long predates EE and ToBEx).

Similarly, if you're producing content (NPCs, new areas, new combat encounters, new quests) then modding for the EE is not dramatically different. You get really dramatic differences only for mods that mess with the rulesets (new kits, new spells). There the EE really does open up new vistas. But even then, there were very extensive kit and spell mods before EE.

You should look at some of the crazy stuff subtledoctor's mods do that are outright impossible in vanilla. Multiclass bards, sorcerors, shamans, etc. Any caster class can cast spontaneously, etc. A lot of hardcoded class stuff is now either outright editable, or a has workarounds that aren't hacky.

Of course, this ignores the initial context of the discussion in which it was claimed that direct dev support of mods is somehow bad. My point was that BG modding suffered for a LONG time because of how inherently un-moddable IE was before Weidu. Look at early IE modding versus something like SKyrim or games that are designed by the devs to be modabble from either day 1 or early in the titles' life.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    So to sum it up:
    the BG trilogy and BG:ee are awesome games in their own right.
    Thank you all for the insight and the many mods we can enjoy <3 . And all the devs for making some truly wonderful games.

But back to the questions:
    1) We have seen the 2.5 version of IWD:ee for iOS made unmodable by accident. Will this be remedied in the 2.6 version?

2) and will you promise to not introduce the 2.5 IWD:ee unmodable feature in the other versions ? It would be a major let down.. :'(

3) The iOS version of NWN:EE is apparently easier to mod. Will you take this into consideration when updating the iOS version of the other games in the series? I know you don’t openly support mod support - but in reality you have been very forthcoming so far.... and thank you for that as well
    PokotaPrince_Raymond
    edited August 2020
    @_DD_ "Sorry, I was just reading this and you actually never mentioned Weidu. Your posts were very specific:"

I didn't mention it, because I didn't think I had to. Everyone on this forum is at least aware of Weidu. Did you think I was talking about hex editing as improvements or something?

@DavidW "I wasn't engaging with the 'initial context', just with the statement that 'Modding in the old IE engine was incredibly basic and very restricted'"

My entire point about BG's modding was in direct comparison to other games, not in a vacuum. So you're 'point' isn't even relevant here.

My point was that dev supported modding makes games much easier to mod, and makes more things possible easier and quicker. I am COMPARING BG's mod support to things like Skyrim or A Hat in Time. So yes, IN COMPARISON BG's modding scene WAS a lot more restricted out the gate. You can stop ignoring the context just to crap on me now.

• _DD__DD_ Member Posts: 42
    @_DD_ "Sorry, I was just reading this and you actually never mentioned Weidu. Your posts were very specific:"

I didn't mention it, because I didn't think I had to. Everyone on this forum is at least aware of Weidu. Did you think I was talking about hex editing as improvements or something?

Are you gonna pretend you were talking about weidu all along?
    @Shin " If you have to depend on dev support and bottom-up design in order to mod your game, you're already at a disadvantage."
    That's almost exactly how it works though. Modding in the old IE engine was incredibly basic and very restricted. Mods are only able to do what they can do now BECAUSE Beamdog specifically opened up a lot of the coding.
    @Shin That entire post is wrong. I'm sorry, but this discussion is just going to go around in circles until you actually educate yourself on what modding for IE was ACTUALLY like before the EEs and after. And then compare that to absolute EASE that something like Torchlight 2 or how literally anything Bethesda DEPENDS on mods to succeed.

Where is it? I have to assume since "I didn't mention it, because I didn't think I had to." that is somehow implied there? Where? In the "Mods are only able to do what they can do now BECAUSE Beamdog specifically opened up a lot of the coding." or in the "educate yourself on what modding for IE was ACTUALLY like before the EEs and after"?
    MiraStastnyjastey
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    1varangian wrote: »
    What happened to the project of making new high poly models like the weapons and hall of justice that were released? Was it cancelled or continued?

We're not ready to comment about them. Right now, we're fully focused on the Dev build that is available and work with the feedback to it we're getting.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I love the game and I'm willing to toss more coin at Beamdog for anything they release for NWN.

But. It's been 2 years since the first enhanced models were released on Steam.

When will you be ready to talk about them? =)
    KamigoroshiNight76Daemonia
    @_DD_ "Are you gonna pretend you were talking about weidu all along?"

Are you going to pretend that BG modding DOESN'T involve weidu? Its ubiquitous and I've already explained myself.

"Where is it? I have to assume since "I didn't mention it, because I didn't think I had to." that is somehow implied there? Where? In the "Mods are only able to do what they can do now BECAUSE Beamdog specifically opened up a lot of the coding.""

I already explained this in response to DavidW's post.

So its clear you aren't actually reading what I'm saying. I don't see any point to your posts other than to be insulting.
    edited September 2020
    @JuliusBorisov Just thought I should drop a line here and inform you that I have opened issue #155 at https://github.com/Beamdog/nwn-issues/issues. Maybe you and the devs can mosey on over and take a look? Appreciate it. Thank you for reading, and happy (healthy) gaming to all.
    JuliusBorisov
  • anastielanastiel Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 246
    edited September 2020
    will it be possible to play with joystick in the steam version? in the next update? @JuliusBorisov
    Post edited by anastiel on
  • suysuy Member Posts: 30
    Thanks to Prince_Raymond's comment I discovered that there was a Beamdog organization on Github... with useful code in it! :-)

@JuliusBorisov could you please ping the developers also to look into https://github.com/Beamdog/bgfileformats/issues/1? It's just about the lack of a license statement on the code. Most likely it won't be a problem to add some standard OSS license so we can look at it without worrying.
    AdulPrince_Raymond
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    The github part was created for very tech-specific NWN issues and is intended to be used that way.
  • suysuy Member Posts: 30
    I did not mean an issue on the "NWN-issues" project/repository on Github.

What I mean is that I want to know if it's possible to put a formal license on that code which was done some years ago (according to the commit dates), but that I don't know when or why it was published (the repository could be in private mode for a while, and released yesterday, but I don't know how I can find out).

I filled an issue in the specific repository, but then I realized that maybe that is not the proper way to ask Beamdog to do that, hence my comment here. ;-)
    edited June 2022
    @suy You're welcome, sir.

@JuliusBorisov Just scanned the patch notes linked to your post here from top to bottom, twice, with no mention of the attack bonus miscalculation bug being fixed. I have since updated the "Specifics" section of my open issue on GitHub to reflect the current build of NWN:EE Development. I will keep updating it to match the current build this bug remains within. With every new patch release not containing this fix, I grow more disappointed and disgusted. Why in the Nine Hells has this 14-year-old bug been left to run rampant in my single-player game? SMDH

Thank you for reading, and happy (healthy) gaming to all.
    edited September 2020
    @Prince_Raymond The attack bonus miscalculation report of yours has been studied by developers for a few days. This is being looked at. They also remembered how the issue was raised and investigated several years ago. For the time being, that is the status of your report, so additional reminders won't help much.
    Prince_RaymondDerpCityStummvonBordwehr
    @JuliusBorisov Yes, sir, the issue was seemingly raised and investigated right up to the point where the original investigators were no longer employed by Beamdog. Based on the initial response I got from Mr. Greg Holmes at your new/current customer support site, I was under the impression that my issue among many others had been swept aside during a heavy NWN:EE development cycle. That, I can understand. What I can't understand is why an issue as glaring and obviously wrong as this one could be ultimately dismissed as its own thing, when this thing didn't even exist until the release of Patch 1.68 for Neverwinter Nights Classic 14 years ago. Please, try to help me understand that misstep. I will cease my reminders as I await further news. Thank you for reading, and happy (healthy) gaming to all.
    GlaciaruzDerpCity
    To clarify: what I meant is that your report has been studied lately. You brought that issue up, I made the devs aware about your request to look into it again. Even while Andrew G is no longer at Beamdog, others remember your issue.

As for why there hasn't been any solution which would please you,-- it's because bug reports and feature requests go through a triage system. To fix or change something, the developers first need to understand whether there is an issue and if the behaviour is working by design or not. This is not related to any particular issue-- this approach works for any potential bug or feature.

We don't "sweep aside" tickets. We have to prioritize some issues. This is normal for any development / post-release support.
    DerpCityAerakarcha0z_elminster
    edited June 2022
    @JuliusBorisov I can honestly tell you, sir, I truly believe in my heart of hearts that a base attack bonus perpetually falling into negative digits during every combat round is anything but working by design. Someone at BioWare made a mistake in the release of Patch 1.6H8, point blank and period. That mistake has been festering and making my single-player gaming experience an absolute nightmare for 14 years. Is it any wonder why I held on to my NWN Classic game patched to 1.67 for as long as I could before eventually fully transitioning to NWN:EE?

Before his departure from Beamdog, Mr. Andrew Gauthier or Shaiden (if we are talking about the same person) was the one who showed me all the links to nwn.fandom.com that I never knew about. If he had access to that information since it is a public domain, then it would be fair to say that the devs at both BioWare and Beamdog had access to it as well. Someone somewhere down the road knew better, yet someone somewhere down the road didn't do better. That mistake should have been rectified long before this point.

This makes me think of a bit of flavor text I read in a journal page of one Athrikus Narassin, whom my Warrior had to kill as part of a quest series in WoW Classic. The last line of the journal page reads as follows: "It is the things you dismiss which will hurt you the most, left to fester."

Thank you for reading, and happy (healthy) gaming to all.