Skip to content

bi/gay characters in The Temple of Elemental Evil

m7600m7600 Member Posts: 318
Just a historical bit of information that I thought would be interesting to share. The Temple of Elemental Evil video game was published in 2003, just a year after Icewind Dale 2. Ten years before Dorn and Hexxat were introduced in BG2:EE, the Temple of Elemental Evil already had bi and gay characters.

One of them is a barmaid named Lodriss. You can flirt with her if your character is male or female. If she likes you (and if your charisma is high enough and you succeed at a diplomacy check), she invites you to go for a walk along the docks with her. Otherwise she'll tell you to back off, and if the conversation goes really sour, there will be a huge tavern brawl. Here's how the conversation went when I flirted with her with one of my female characters:

9773aatg4kc0.png

The other character is a male pirate called Bertram. You can't flirt with him if your character is female, he just doesn't care. You can flirt with him if you have a male character talk to him. You won't get very far though, since he says that his boss will not approve (his boss is a pirate lord, and Bertram is afraid of him). You can then try to convince his boss (or intimidate him, or fight him). Or you can just tell Bertram that you're not interested in him.

lvaztu2nulzk.png

Comments

• MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549
    Going with the pirate bi/gay theme, What about Jack Rackham’s two girls? Both living as men and Pirates, Anne Bonny only tried to pass as a man after becoming a pirate but Mary Read had spent most of her life as a man. The two were the most known female pirates at that time and place. Trans pirates, who would have thunk? Guess Robert De Niro’s portrayal as a gay sky pirate was not as original as we thought.
    edited September 2020
    I am not sure it is possible to put a new sticker this. The original Olympics competitors were often gay. Isaac, son of Abraham, was considered to have a feminine soul. His mother Sarah even laughed at the notion that he could be the father of a nation as he couldn't marry or have children. From what I remember god asked her if she doubted his power. Yep, it's been around that long and longer. Strangely, I don't think there is a single commandment of the 613 that Moses brought down from Mt Sinai, not just the 10 for the rest of us, that prohibits it. I could be wrong, I do know that there isn't any that prohibits being transgender. The most you can find is a prohibition, not in any of the 613 commandments but in cabalistic law, from marrying one because the marriage cannot be legally consummated. They knew 3,000 years ago that people were born this way.

Many native american tribes belived in two-spirit people long before they knew of the existance of white man. They were rare and considered a blessing to the tribe. They were expected to live the life of their presenting gender including going to war for a female at birth who could only live as a man, or being the householder or wife for a male at birth who could only live as a woman. Samoan people have long accepted trans people, unfortunately they seem not to accept gay people, not sure how new that is.

Where would we be now if not for those that came long ago? Leonardo Da Vinci, Michelango and the list goes on and on. Salvador Dali? Alexander the Great? My grandfather complained to my grandmother that I would grow up like his brother, did she want that for me? I never met him but he was decorated with the purple heart and silver star in WWII, I wonder how awful he could have been? Sad that this american hero was beaten to death in Virginia in th 60s because of his sexual preference.

No, not in anyway new. Not any newer than bigotry, or hatred at any rate, wonder how far back they go and why people are not more worried about that?
    Post edited by Michelle on
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I am not sure it is possible to put a new sticker this. The original Olympics competitors were often gay. Isaac, son of Abraham, was considered to have a feminine soul. His mother Sarah even laughed at the notion that he could be the father of a nation as he couldn't marry or have children. From what I remember god asked her if she doubted his power. Yep, it's been around that long and longer. Strangely, I don't think there is a single commandment of the 613 that Moses brought down from Mt Sinai, not just the 10 for the rest of us, that prohibits it. I could be wrong, I do know that there isn't any that prohibits being transgender. The most you can find is a prohibition, not in any of the 613 commandments but in cabalistic law, from marrying one because the marriage cannot be legally consummated. They knew 3,000 years ago that people were born this way.

Many native american tribes belived in two-spirit people long before they knew of the existance of white man. They were rare and considered a blessing to the tribe. They were expected to live the life of their presenting gender including going to war for a female at birth who could only live as a man, or being the householder or wife for a male at birth who could only live as a woman. Samoan people have long accepted trans people, unfortunately they seem not to accept gay people, not sure how new that is.

Where would we be now if not for those that came long ago? Leonardo Da Vinci, Michelango and the list goes on and on. J Edgar Hoover, Salvador Dali? Alexander the Great? My grandfather complained to my grandmother that I would grow up like his brother, did she want that for me? I never met him but he was decorated with the purple heart and silver star in WWII, I wonder how awful he could have been? Sad that this american hero was beaten to death in Virginia in th 60s because of his sexual preference.

No, not in anyway new. Not any newer than bigotry, or hatred at any rate, wonder how far back they go and why people are not more worried about that?

We could have definitely done without Hoover, but your point stands for the rest.
  • m7600m7600 Member Posts: 318
    When Temple was published in 2003, the inclusion of Bertram did generate a little bit of controversy, but it was nowhere near as intense as the one that was sparked by BG2:EE and SoD.
    ToEE was, and still is, an awesome game, for many different reasons. I think it's on par with the Infinity Engine games. Would love to see an Enhanced Edition of it.
    jjstraka34 wrote: »

Where would we be now if not for those that came long ago? Leonardo Da Vinci, Michelango and the list goes on and on. J Edgar Hoover, Salvador Dali? Alexander the Great? My grandfather complained to my grandmother that I would grow up like his brother, did she want that for me? I never met him but he was decorated with the purple heart and silver star in WWII, I wonder how awful he could have been? Sad that this american hero was beaten to death in Virginia in th 60s because of his sexual preference.

We could have definitely done without Hoover, but your point stands for the rest.

:D I have no idea what I was thinking there, was not intentional though. Fixed it anyway. Wow, I seriously talk too much, should have deleted the whole thing. :/
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    In order not to risk this thread going off the rails, for future comments here, let's focus on The Temple of Elemental Evil, the EEs, SoD, and possibly a few other games and gaming.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    No surprise a 2003 game with a couple gay or bi characters wouldn't have such a large online controversy compared to SoD's trans character a decade later. Internet ain't so big and pervasive back then (fewer people to generate a storm), and trans acceptance was still lagging FAR behind LGB acceptance when SoD came out. Plus, SoD was part of an established franchise, and old fans had a certain idea of what BG was "supposed" to be. On top of that, SoD came in the wake of Gamergate, which already generated a groundswell of enthusiasm and a sort of demographic of "gamers who don't want certain kinds of politics in games."
    The real controversy was the decision to give bards the ability to cast Cure Light Wounds and all of the other divine healing spells (something that Icewind Dale 2 also does, since it was part of the changes that D&D incorporated when they moved from 2nd to 3rd edition rules). In ToEE, bards also get bonus spells if they have high Charisma and a lot of points in Performance. My half-elf bard for example is a way better healer than my druid, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Compared to this situation, the inclusion of non-hetero characters is uncontroversial. Still love 3rd rules in general, though.
    I wanted to play the game so bad but I never got it to work. I think I bought it in 2010, it just wouldn’t play. I was looking forward to the new rules and heard that it was great from someone who had owned it for a while. I have played Icewind Dale 2 though, didn’t like the linear path. Probably why I liked BG I and II so well.

Very sorry for derailing your thread.
    I wanted to play the game so bad but I never got it to work. I think I bought it in 2010, it just wouldn’t play. I was looking forward to the new rules and heard that it was great from someone who had owned it for a while. I have played Icewind Dale 2 though, didn’t like the linear path. Probably why I liked BG I and II so well.

TToEE is really worth it. I sound like a salesperson now, but it's a great game. I got it to run on Linux (Ubuntu LTS 18.04, to be more precise) using a Windows emulator (WINE), which is what I use for playing the Infinity Engine games as well. Icewind Dale 2 was the one that really gave me problems as far as the installation and execution goes, it was super glitchy, I had to edit the emulator's registry in order to make it run smoothly. I agree with you about the linear path, I much prefer the more open worlds of the Baldur's Gate saga. But IWD2 does have some really cool stuff, like the implementation of 3rd edition rules, which, generally speaking, have a lot more positives than negatives. For example, I like the fact that character classes are no longer restricted by race (my party has a Dwarf Druid, I roleplay him as being a sort of cave-sage, knowledgeable of of the many types of fungi, plants and creatures that dwell underground).
    Very sorry for derailing your thread.

No problem, and no apologies necessary : )
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited September 2020
    Not related, but ToEE is an often forgotten but really excellent DnD game. The most faithful to PnP rules, so melee units are a lot more useful, all sorts of interesting potential companions, like the Giant, or the two orc brothers, Mother Screng, or even Lareth for a time. Some may disagree, but I also enjoy the graphic style quite a bit.

And the few mods available are all top quality and really add to the game. Especially the prestige classes.

If you haven't tried it out yet, you should.
    I totally agree that it's the most faithful representation of tabletop D&D. The turn-based combat can be off-putting for some people, but I like it. Battles can get really complicated from a tactical point of view, which makes the victories particularly rewarding.

Regarding mods, there's also a total conversion for ToEE called The Keep on the Borderlands, based on Gygax's module by the same name from 1979. I haven't tried modding ToEE myself, but it's something I've been meaning to get into.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    m7600 wrote: »
    I totally agree that it's the most faithful representation of tabletop D&D. The turn-based combat can be off-putting for some people, but I like it. Battles can get really complicated from a tactical point of view, which makes the victories particularly rewarding.

Regarding mods, there's also a total conversion for ToEE called The Keep on the Borderlands, based on Gygax's module by the same name from 1979. I haven't tried modding ToEE myself, but it's something I've been meaning to get into.

And you can get swallowed by a giant frog! You don't see that in many video games...
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I tried, really I did, but I just could not get into ToEE for some reason. :( However, I will agree that it was by far the most faithful representation of tabletop 3.X rules in a CRPG that I had ever seen. They even included grappling! (And yes, I ran into that Giant Frog too. XD)
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    THOSE giant frogs, thank you very much. On my very first ever party I ran into 5 of them. Quite daunting for a first level party. I'll never forget having the entire party eaten by frogs. ?