Skip to content

If there were new Infinity Engine games, where would you want them to take place?

m7600m7600 Member Posts: 318
edited October 2020 in Off-Topic
If there were new Infinity Engine games, where would you want them to take place?

Here are my choices:

1) Waterdeep

2) Menzoberranzan

As for the ruleset, I guess it could work with 2nd or 3rd edition rules. Although I've tried the 5th edition ruleset in tabletop D&D, and it's a pretty cool system, overall. I especially like the concept of advantage and disadvantage.
Grond0

Comments

• m7600m7600 Member Posts: 318
    edited October 2020
    Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Planescape, Spelljammer, take your pick.

Those are awesome settings. It's difficult to choose one over the other, all of them are unique in their own way. I would add Greyhawk to the list, and probably Eberron as well.

It's just that I love Forgotten Realms (but Planescape is a close second, followed by a tie between Greyhawk and Ravenloft). Speaking of other continents of the Realms besides Faerun, whatever happened to Kara-Tur, Al-Qadim (Zakhara) and Maztica? There was also another continent, Osse, of which we know practically nothing since very little was published, but it was supposed to be inspired by Native Australians.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Pathfinder.
    m7600Grammarsalad
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    I'm surprised, in a good way, Chult is so popular. It's one of the better places on Faerun, that's for sure. Ubtao himself is an interesting deity, since he has a unique role in the pantheon of gods and in some ways, is not really a god at all.
    m7600Grammarsalad
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I'm surprised, in a good way, Chult is so popular. It's one of the better places on Faerun, that's for sure. Ubtao himself is an interesting deity, since he has a unique role in the pantheon of gods and in some ways, is not really a god at all.

ALSO DINOSAURS
    WarChiefZekem7600themazingnessGrammarsalad
    +1 for Chult here as well.

How about Dragonlance? There was a Dragonlance total conversion project at some point.
    Grammarsalad
  • HafirHafir Member Posts: 97
    I have a few concepts:

1) Back to Icewind Dale 3, Oswald and his ship and check of all of the Ten Towns.

2) Expedition from Damara to Samarach (or vv) in 1372 period, that could be released in parts (let we say in 100 packs)

3) The Shaar and that events which lead to the destruction in 1479.

4) or some magical adventures in the name of Mystra

Real-time with pause only...
    m7600kanisatha
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2020
    (Insert disclaimer about me not having any power over this)

Mulhorand and Unther. I feel like the Ancient Egyptian and Babylonian vibes could be kind of fun.
    Kamigoroshim7600kanisatha
    elminster wrote: »
    I feel like the Ancient Egyptian and Babylonian vibes could be kind of fun.

That would be cool. One of my favorite games is Quest for Glory 3. The main city has a sort of Ancient Egyptian style to it.

elminster
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    Somewhere random. They just spin a wheel and wherever it lands will be the set place. Then build a solid story around the set place.
    sarevok57m7600
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    edited October 2020
    Dark Sun would be great, would also enjoy a noir style campaign in Eberron, set in Sharn, Xendrick and/or around the Mournland. Being connected to The Dragon Below trilogy would be awesome
    OrlonKronsteenthemazingnessm7600Grammarsalad
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    My top three choices, in order:

1. Ravenloft
    2. Ravenloft
    3. Ravenloft
    themazingnessm7600Zaxares
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    Farscape!

Didn't have to be DnD did it :p
    m7600
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    spacejaws wrote: »
    Farscape!

Didn't have to be DnD did it :p

In this case, Babylon 5, please ;)
    m7600elminster
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    edited October 2020
    ilduderino wrote: »
    Dark Sun would be great, would also enjoy a noir style campaign in Eberron, set in Sharn, Xendrick and/or around the Mournland. Being connected to The Dragon Below trilogy would be awesome

I'd love some Eberron. The only games so far are DDO and Dragonshard (an MMORPG and an RTS). I love to see the pulp fiction, the politics, and the creatures in a proper cRPG.

Besides, it has halfling barbarians riding dinosaurs and the warforged race.
    ilduderinom7600Grammarsalad
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited October 2020
    What I would like to see is some historical events in almost any of the worlds. The war between Avariel and Dragons on Faerun, seeing Athas as a lush jungle in the midst of a deadly planetwide conflict, the Time of Troubles, I mean, so much of what we are merely told details of in stories sound so much more significant and interesting than anything they have thrown at us in a game.

Just slap it with a non-canon label and boom, you can do almost anything you want without breaking the lore. Plot against the gods. Take down well known organizations. More possibilities open up.
    m7600ThacoBell
    If it's a Planescape game, I'd really like to have the option to explore the planes quite thoroughly. Places like Mount Celestia, Mechanus, Carceri, Pandemonium, etc.

One option that I think would also be cool would be an Infinity Engine implementation of the "Die Vecna Die!" module. This would represent a huge historical event like the ones that @WarChiefZeke mentioned, and it also provides an excuse to explore three different settings: Greyhawk, Ravenloft and Planescape. And the module can be seen as a bridge from 2nd to 3rd edition. I think this module is a win-win situation for an IE game.
    WarChiefZeke
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited October 2020
    Anywhere on Eberron
    Edit: or Dark Sun
    m7600Kamigoroshi
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Ravenloft or Dark Sun would be my top picks. Those are two all-time favourite D&D settings, but so few CRPGs have ever taken a look at them.
    m7600Grammarsalad
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Any part of the Forgotten Realms that is not the Sword Coast or Neverwinter or Icewind Dale. There's just so much there that could potentially make for a great game.
    HafirThacoBellm7600
    Fun fact: some of the D&D settings that never made it to video games are Blackmoor, Pelinore, and Ghostwalk. I'm sure there's others, but I can't remember them right now.
    I can't believe that I forgot to mention this, but in Icewind Dale 2 you can take a portal to Chult and explore it a little bit.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    m7600 wrote: »
    I can't believe that I forgot to mention this, but in Icewind Dale 2 you can take a portal to Chult and explore it a little bit.

No dinosaurs though :(
    m7600
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    No dinosaurs though :(

True. The yuan-ti there can kinda pass off as dinosaurs, lol...

Actually now that you mention it, it would be cool to make a mod for that area of IW2 that adds dinosaurs. I think that will be my new project for the following months.
    Grammarsalad
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited November 2020
    How about they do something totally radical and make the setting present-day with the introduction of extraterrestrial 'magik' to the equation? Imagine the possibilities!
    m7600ThacoBellStummvonBordwehr
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    How about they do something totally radical and make the setting present-day with the introduction of extraterrestrial 'magik' to the equation? Imagine the possibilities!

This reminds me of the movie Bright, I saw it a few weeks ago. I thought it was OK for what it was trying to achieve. Nothing stellar, but not necessarily bad either. It did get awful reviews in general though.

Urban fantasy is a tough genre to pull off, IMO. I can't think of any example off the top of my head that I would describe as a masterpiece, but I can certainly do it for more traditional fantasy genres, like Lord of the Rings for high fantasy, or Conan the Barbarian for sword & sorcery, that kind of stuff.

But just because I can't think of any examples doesn't mean that they don't exist. I would certainly be very interested in playing an urban fantasy CRPG, just to see what kind of story the developers envisioned.
    Balrog99
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    m7600 wrote: »
    Balrog99 wrote: »

This reminds me of the movie Bright, I saw it a few weeks ago. I thought it was OK for what it was trying to achieve. Nothing stellar, but not necessarily bad either. It did get awful reviews in general though.

Urban fantasy is a tough genre to pull off, IMO. I can't think of any example off the top of my head that I would describe as a masterpiece, but I can certainly do it for more traditional fantasy genres, like Lord of the Rings for high fantasy, or Conan the Barbarian for sword & sorcery, that kind of stuff.

But just because I can't think of any examples doesn't mean that they don't exist. I would certainly be very interested in playing an urban fantasy CRPG, just to see what kind of story the developers envisioned.

They could do some kind of supernatural powers instead of ET, but that would require a different setting. I'd actually be cool with either really. Imagine an Ash vs. Evil Dead setting. That would be pretty cool too!
    m7600