Skip to content

Has anyone pickpocketed Ribald’s longsword?

I have pickpockets of 170 and can easily steal his ring, but not his longsword...is it bugged?

Thanks! :)
OrlonKronsteen

Comments

• OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    Sometimes I get the sword, and sometimes I don't. I had always thought that whether he has it or not is random, and determined each game. It sounds weird that each item on an NPC would require a different roll. And it would be weirder still if the sword required a higher roll, since the ring is a vastly superior item, but who knows?
    Dhariussarevok57
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Thanks, there’s a character in Saradush Jail In TOB that also has a magic longsword that behaves the same way towards pickpocketing...I never really understood why...personally I don’t think it’s intentional and is a programming error, but you’re right maybe we’ll never know :spookyface:
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Once in a great while I'm able to lift his sword. It isn't Varscona though, it's the +1 longsword that automatically kills bards (can't remember the name of it). I've never been able to figure out why it's so random.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Wait, what? What version of the game are you playing?

In the unmodded game, Ribald starts with Varscona equipped and no other swords. If the appropriate variable is set (Varscona was on that table in the starting dungeon), his script transforms that weapon into a generic +2 longsword. There is no way he can have the bard-killing sword Shazzellim.
    sarevok57ThacoBellgorgonzola
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    jmerry wrote: »

In the unmodded game, Ribald starts with Varscona equipped and no other swords. If the appropriate variable is set (Varscona was on that table in the starting dungeon), his script transforms that weapon into a generic +2 longsword. There is no way he can have the bard-killing sword Shazzellim.

Now you've really got me wondering. Could it be that it's a bug related to Varscona being imported from BGEE? As I said, I can't reliably replicate the behaviour. I'll test the starting dungeon theory sometime, since now you've made me curious!
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    jmerry wrote: »

where does one even find that sword anyway? it seems only Elhan dual wields them and obviously he can't die
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    In the vanilla game, you can't get Shazzelim. Some mods introduce it; Unfinished Business puts it in the house with Prebek and Sanasha in the Harper Hold quest.
    JuliusBorisovsarevok57