Skip to content

Small mods you would like to see

Comments

• MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    Cahir wrote: »
    I would like to see a mod that makes all lorebooks scattered around the world more meaningful.Like reading a book for a first time gives you a permanentny +1 bonus to Lore.

This would be awesome, and give you a real reason for going after those books. Seriously, I hope someone will take this one on.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I would like to see a mod that would enable characters who aren't wearing helmets to wear hats. I'm currently playing a swashbuckler and I would really like him to be able to wear a hat with a feather in it.
    Balrog99gorgonzola
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Finesse! If only there was a way to make light weapons, like daggers and short swords scale off of DEX.
    Permidion_Stark
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I would like to see a mod that would enable characters who aren't wearing helmets to wear hats. I'm currently playing a swashbuckler and I would really like him to be able to wear a hat with a feather in it.

You can in Neverwinter Nights. Or was it NWN2? Well, one or both of those anyway. It was neat actually being able to dress the part when not battling evil!
    Permidion_Stark
    edited October 2020
    I would like to see a mod that FINALLY fixes the ranger quest in BG2. I don't think I have had a play through yet where that quest didn't malfunction at some point and require a console fix. Mentioned here, possibly again, because I just had to fix it again in my current game.

This mod would alter the start of the quest by having Mairyn show up in the cabin IMMEDIATELY after picking up the deed (rather than after your first sleep). It would also fix Delon so that he really can't miss you OR fix it so that you can get the quest from either Delon OR Minister Lloyd when the Ogron attack quest is pending.

(As an aside, all quests that send a runner are almost inherently buggy, but this one is particularly bad)
    ThacoBell
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    a mod that stops the un seeing eye prophet and the viconia mob cutscene from starting unless we talk to them.
    jasteyenergisedcamelBalrog99Arvia
    That's a tall order for something designed to be doable before the nashkel mines.
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    That's a tall order for something designed to be doable before the nashkel mines.

It's a tall order just getting to the fortress before the Nashkell mines. There are plenty of tough fights, including possible winter wolves, that would tear up a low level party. Might as well make it more worth the trouble!
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Balrog99 wrote: »

It's a tall order just getting to the fortress before the Nashkell mines. There are plenty of tough fights, including possible winter wolves, that would tear up a low level party. Might as well make it more worth the trouble!

Winter wolves won't tear up your party if you equip the Belt of Antipode, rendering you immune to the wolf's frost breath while it keeps using it on you pointlessly.

Though the Belt of Antipode could potentially screw you over if you forget to take it off after dealing with the cold-using enemies. I had a no-reload run end when my character put on the Belt of Antipode in Durlag's Tower to deal with Kaldran, then they went to the chess board and the bishop one-shotted my character with Flame Strike (which dealt double damage from the belt).
    Balrog99ThacoBellArvia
  • CicatrixCicatrix Member Posts: 14
    edited October 2020
    I would love some small tweaks to Rasaad and Neera to make them a bit more user-friendly. It's so frustrating that the Siege of Dragonspear companions are all great while the two non-evil companions in BGEE and BG2EE need a ton of micromanaging.

I have gone into three new playthroughs since buying BGEE planning to stick with Neera and Rasaad. Yet I always drop them after I notice that Neera dissolved most of the party's gold without me noticing or accidentally gated in a demon into Baldur's Gate, and Rasaad has gotten himself killed for the 50th time by some mooks. I don't expect them to be very powerful. But it would be wonderful if the frustration of playing those two idiots was reduced a bit. For example if the game automatically paused after Neera gets a bad wild magic roll. So I would not have to constantly watch the feedback log during every combat with a band of xvarts to make sure Neera hasn't done anything awful.
    Cicatrix wrote: »
    I would love some small tweaks to Rasaad and Neera to make them a bit more user-friendly. It's so frustrating that the Siege of Dragonspear companions are all great while the two non-evil companions in BGEE and BG2EE need a ton of micromanaging.

I have gone into three new playthroughs since buying BGEE planning to stick with Neera and Rasaad. Yet I always drop them after I notice that Neera dissolved most of the party's gold without me noticing or accidentally gated in a demon into Baldur's Gate, and Rasaad has gotten himself killed for the 50th time by some mooks. I don't expect them to be very powerful. But it would be wonderful if the frustration of playing those two idiots was reduced a bit. For example if the game automatically paused after Neera gets a bad wild magic roll. So I would not have to constantly watch the feedback log during every combat with a band of xvarts to make sure Neera hasn't done anything awful.

Boosting Rasaad's stats would certainly help. Too many people need the dexterity gloves so boosting Rasaad to 18 dexterity would go a long way in making him less squishy (also helps with accuracy of darts, throwing daggers or slings too).

Not really. Winter wolves are rare and come in small groups. I find both them and gnolls to be less dangerous than Kobold Commandoes, if not as squishy. There's some good magic equipment along the way to ease the map as well. If you can reach nashkel, you can reach (and clear) the Gnoll fortress. Its what I did on my first playthrough. Minsc IS placed directly between you and exits that will unlock the mines on your map.
    Arvia
    Probably not feasible in the Infinity Engine, but how about a mod that lets you take your summons with you when you leave an area? It would actually improve believability a lot too. It always bothered me that my summoned skellies couldn't go upstairs or enter an inn or house with me. What good is an 8 hour summons if it can't leave the area???
    ThacoBellArvia
    How about adding an entrance to the gnoll stronghold so you can finally see what's inside? It doesn't have to be anything spectacular, just some bigger gnolls and maybe an ogre or two. Put Dynaheir in the dungeon and the charisma tome in the treasure vault (instead of being guarded by those wimpy Xvarts). The boss could be either a bad-ass gnoll chieftain, or an ogre mage (either of them with the dexterity gloves equipped). Throw in an ettin or two for flavor! There aren't enough ettins in the BG universe...

I have wanted a more fortress-like Gnoll fortress since the first time I saw it. I wish someone had made it too.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    Some of the EE companions’ stats are improved by AionZ’s tweaks mod I think.

There has actually been a mod in development for the Gnoll fortress for some time I think, but it’s one of those projects that it’s impossible to tell when / if it will ever get finished.
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    How about adding an entrance to the gnoll stronghold so you can finally see what's inside? It doesn't have to be anything spectacular, just some bigger gnolls and maybe an ogre or two. Put Dynaheir in the dungeon and the charisma tome in the treasure vault (instead of being guarded by those wimpy Xvarts). The boss could be either a bad-ass gnoll chieftain, or an ogre mage (either of them with the dexterity gloves equipped). Throw in an ettin or two for flavor! There aren't enough ettins in the BG universe...

I really like that idea!
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    Arvia wrote: »
    I would very much like a small mod that allows me to have a last meaningful conversation with Cespenar, and to know where he'll be going (or even take him with me), before leaving the pocket plane for the final battle in ToB. I've always wondered what's going to happen to the little fellow afterwards, especially if I choose the mortal ending.

I can't agree enough. Being able to have some sort of closure with Cespenar would be nice. I'm honestly a little surprised it's not an option to tell him in the game. I always assumed that if the main char choose to become a god then Cespenar would become some kind of servant. But it's a really small thing which should be implemented.

ArviaIsewein
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579

I've always wanted a mod that would make Jaheira turn against you in Galvarey's estate and side with Galvarey instead. Her reason for doing so could be her grief over Khalid's death, blaming you for (indirectly) getting him killed, and a newfound belief that your very presence will cause others to lose their loved ones wherever you go.

My reasons for this are rather selfish: I don't like to keep Jaheira around for too long into my playthroughs, but I hate having to endure her angry response to being dropped, and I also feel it's immersion-breaking to dump someone that's been your character's trusted friend for so long. This way, I can get her out of the party without feeling any guilt about it.
    Permidion_StarkArviaIsewein
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    She’ll refuse to fight or even turn against you if your reputation is low enough. 1-5 should do it. Most of my characters - who probably haven’t adventured with her in BG1- don’t have the same attachment to her in any case.
    SharGuidesMyHand
    Finesse! If only there was a way to make light weapons, like daggers and short swords scale off of DEX.

I would love to see this. Is it an impossibility within the limitations of the game engine?

I would love to see this. Is it an impossibility within the limitations of the game engine?

Not sure. Its possible to tie weapon damage and to hit with stats other than strength. Dex already gives a bonus to missile weapons, and at least one mod increased melee accuracy with high enough dex. I don't know if specific weapon types can be differentiated though.
    Permidion_StarkArvia
  • CicatrixCicatrix Member Posts: 14
    My reasons for this are rather selfish: I don't like to keep Jaheira around for too long into my playthroughs, but I hate having to endure her angry response to being dropped, and I also feel it's immersion-breaking to dump someone that's been your character's trusted friend for so long. This way, I can get her out of the party without feeling any guilt about it.

You can achieve this pretty easily by sending her into the traps in Chateau Irenicus or equipping her with only a spear and sending her to fight enemies like Tarnor the Hatchetman. That is what I do when I don't want her (and/or Minsc) in the party.

You can achieve this pretty easily by sending her into the traps in Chateau Irenicus or equipping her with only a spear and sending her to fight enemies like Tarnor the Hatchetman. That is what I do when I don't want her (and/or Minsc) in the party.

Couldn't you just not open their cages? You don't even have to go to that end of the hall, as there is another teleport portal elsewhere.
    Maurvir wrote: »

Couldn't you just not open their cages? You don't even have to go to that end of the hall, as there is another teleport portal elsewhere.

I know they're just pixels so I'm not overly concerned about them, but when I don't want Jaheira/Minsc I just tell them that they're on their own. I even do this if I'm playing lawful or neutral evil. If nothing else, they will cause distractions, allowing me to escape more easily (especially Minsc who will likely clear some evil butts on his way out). If I'm chaotic evil, however, I just leave them (I don't play CE very often though, can't really rp that alignment convincingly in my mind).

Not sure. Its possible to tie weapon damage and to hit with stats other than strength. Dex already gives a bonus to missile weapons, and at least one mod increased melee accuracy with high enough dex. I don't know if specific weapon types can be differentiated though.

Perhaps another way to simulate it would be to create a Finesse a fighting style that would give you a bonus when using light weapons (Maybe +1 to hit, crit on 19/20 with one pip; +1 to hit, crit on 18/20 with two pips). I have no idea whether this would be possible but I would be nice to see more fighting styles in the game.
    I'm pretty sure those are hard-coded. Someone could possibly alter an existing style to give said bonuses though.
    Permidion_Stark
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    Mantis37 wrote: »
    She’ll refuse to fight or even turn against you if your reputation is low enough. 1-5 should do it. Most of my characters - who probably haven’t adventured with her in BG1- don’t have the same attachment to her in any case.

Thanks for the info, but I almost always play as a good or at least neutral character.

Maurvir wrote: »
    I know they're just pixels so I'm not overly concerned about them, but when I don't want Jaheira/Minsc I just tell them that they're on their own. I even do this if I'm playing lawful or neutral evil. If nothing else, they will cause distractions, allowing me to escape more easily (especially Minsc who will likely clear some evil butts on his way out). If I'm chaotic evil, however, I just leave them (I don't play CE very often though, can't really rp that alignment convincingly in my mind).

Thanks for all the advice, but the problem here is that they're all immersion-breaking - if I had no qualms about being a d*ck to Jaheira, I wouldn't have any issues just saying goodbye to her in the first place.

And besides, I don't dislike Jaheira being in my party, but at some point I just look to swap her out with someone I like better.

An alternate path to the Galvarey encounter would not only provide an immersive reason to remove her from the party, but would also add some more depth to her character and make for an interesting story twist IMO.

Arvia
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    An alternate path to the Galvarey encounter would not only provide an immersive reason to remove her from the party, but would also add some more depth to her character and make for an interesting story twist IMO.
    Please don't have Jaheira's character butchered like this.

Quest Pack has a component in which Jaheira will leave if you refuse to destroy the scimitar Shazzellim. She comes back later and the blade can be surrendered then for a peaceful resolution.