Skip to content

[mod] Orra NPC for IWD EE

LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,680
edited November 2020 in IWD:EE Mods
There's something new for you, adventurers from the Icewind Dale.

5ppgc57pkq9y.jpg

The mod adds a brand new companion to Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition - Orra, a fighter/mage/cleric. She's a woman of honest heart, who came from a distant land of Kozakura. She values tranquility, truth, and companionship. Listen to her stories, talk to her, and perhaps you'll become friends.

The mod does not include a romantic path, which is explained in talks with the new companion. She may join you early in the game, in Easthaven. You'll find her standing on the wooden platform, not far from Elisia.

Download
Forum

This is version 0.9, so some changes / fixed may still be applied! The crossmod banters for that mod are included in IWD Crossmod Banter Pack.

Enjoy!
Post edited by LavaDelVortel on
EekanImpmegamike15memorySharGuidesMyHandDawgliciousilduderinoMantis37ThacoBellThrasymachusjasteyelminsterGusindaxiaoleiwenAerakar_DD_

Comments

• ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Excellent, really looking forward to trying this out, thanks!
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,680
    edited October 2020
    Thank you :) You should probably know it's kinda lesser NPC when compared to some other out there, but I think we should have varied options, with both romanceable and non-romanceable characters, with many dialogues and others that don't have a neverending chain of talks.
    ilduderinobonewhiteglory
  • ThoriumThorium Member Posts: 36
    @LavaDelVortel Sounds really nice, I definitely have to take her along for the next run. Also, just wanted to say that your (and AionZ's) hard work with the IWD:EE NPCs is really appreciated :)
    jastey
    You're welcome! I hope you'll have fun next time you play IWD with our mods :)
  • InKalInKal Member Posts: 196
    There is a bug with her. If you let her join the party when you are higher level like 4 or 5 (you can do this in HoF mode) she has too many hitpoints. The same bug happens with IWD NPC. Dusky is fine though.
    Hmm, I think I may know how to fix this. Perhaps she doesn't have "Ignore Nightmare Mode" - if you want to fix it locally, use NearInfinity and click such flag when browsing her .cre file (l#orra.cre)
  • InKalInKal Member Posts: 196
    and fixed. Thanks.
  • xiaoleiwenxiaoleiwen Member Posts: 186
    edited March 2021
    Hi Lava, I’m asking for a very minor spoiler here. I’m going to change her portrait in my game because her default portrait is quite similar to one portrait I used before. So I would like to know whether her default skin colour is something related /mentioned in her talks.
    She looks like half dark elf to me
    Not directly, only the fact that she's from Kozakura, nothing else, IIRC
    Cheers! Remember to install other IWD EE mods :) They are best served together ;)
    Not directly, only the fact that she's from Kozakura, nothing else, IIRC
    Cheers! Remember to install other IWD EE mods :) They are best served together ;)

thanks for confirming. Yes I installed everyone (15!) even though i will take five of them only, tend to make it like they are vanilla npcs in all my iwd playthrough :)
    Sure! Enjoy! Have a nice run! :)
    edited March 2021
    6te5ob7ny8bk.jpg
    ny1iz5qcjjgs.jpg

Hi Lava, I experienced a crossmod banter bug between Holvir and Orra. The game will crash after this banter started few lines. Initially I thought it was a random crash (triggered it early game and crashed), however, this problem happened again when the banter triggered again.

Is there anyway to set the global to skip this banter? As it may make my game not playable some day when this is the only crossmod banter left (or I have to kick one of them out of the party, which I would like to avoid)

I found this global with EE keeper, and the value is 1 at the moment:
    L#ORRAHOLVIRBANTER1
    LavaDelVortel
    @marcnivar - Yep, I see an error in the code. Anyone that encounters this bug should use this code:
    C:SetGlobal("L#OrraHolvirBanter1","GLOBAL",2)
    Cheers!
    xiaoleiwen
    thank, I will set the global accordingly
    LavaDelVortel
  • CatcheJaggerCatcheJagger Member Posts: 5
    While testing out for a modded playthrough, I did some travelling with Orra, alongside a few NPC mods. I encountered no significant problems, and I enjoyed the interactions I got which went over her homeland and which gave some nice opportunities to RP about the PC's homeland and their attitude towards their own home. It's a neat little detail that helps build a neat dynamic for the player, in my

However, I do have a little issue, which actually applies to her, Dusky, Karihi, Minerva, and Kulyok's NPCs. Namely, they all float around in Easthaven, which becomes inaccessible following the Prologue, which provides little space to check out the various characters and means that a fair few of them will be inaccessible along with the town for the rest of the game should they not be in the PC's party when they set off with the expedition.

Now, I'm not certain exactly how the above problem would best be handled and I know that it can be more optimal to just stick with a fixed party, and I know that losing a party member or two in the opening caves can sometimes come down to bad rolls (though needing four spares is excessive), but it is unfortunate that, if I don't know if I want to stick with Orra within the first couple of hours of the game, that call still must be made right from the jump, at the expense of other possible companions.

Again, great work on the mod (indeed, I wouldn't feel so conflicted on what to do with party options if I didn't think that the characters provided were at least a little interesting) and I hope to report back with more complete knowledge further down the line.
    Kulyok's NPCs are a full team and they offer a very specific playing style. They make you play a good PC and they were designed to give you an experience of a adventure from that perspective - a hero surrounded by friends. My NPCs and those prepared by Aion were designed to work in various combinations and different PCs. True, you can't check everything and everyone in just one run just as you can't be good, neutral, and evil at the same time.

Remember NPCs written by Kulyok fill every possible slot - you get a full team. Now, imagine you are playing a neutral character, or an evil one - it won't work really well with Kulyok's team. So, you get a few other NPCs that are a bit more... neutral. So they would work a bit better with different PCs. You need to give such a choice to players. A chance to gather companions that are at least a tiny bit closer to your PCs beliefs and goals so it all felt a bit more real.

I, for sure, wouldn't like to be forced to play with Kulyok's NPCs and then kick out half of that team to join other NPCs. Don't get me wrong, her NPCs are great, but it would feel weird to first join a group of friends and then, once you finally get to another NPC kick one of those friends and then leave him/her in the middle of nowhere.

Plus, I think the conflict you're experiencing is a good thing! And all of that leaves you at least some motivation to compose a different party next time. It's also a matter of replayability.

So... sorry, but I don't think it's possible to have everything at once. The game and it's prologue is designed that way and we're not changing that :) Hopefully, you will get even one or two new NPCs, maybe an evil one... it would make sense to have an evil NPC in the very beginning of that game.
    ilduderinobonewhiteglory
    "it would feel weird to first join a group of friends and ... kick one of those friends ... in the middle of nowhere"

Though I expect that Khalid and Jaheira have some experience of this
    Thanks very much for your continuing great work - it's hard to know when to start a playthrough as there is always exciting new stuff ?
    Thrasymachus
    Thank you! I've been planning to release newer version of those NPCs and I'm doing all I can to update them all at once but that's not an easy task. Next should be Tipps.
    ilduderino
  • DeisDeis Member Posts: 25
    I was attempting to install the latest versions of both this mod and Oak-Maw using Project Infinity, and was seeing the error,
    // INSTALLATION ABORTED
    // Install sequence contains duplicated mods:
    L#-OAKMAW-IWD;Oak-Maw IWD EE NPC - Oak-Maw NPC for IWD:EE
    L#-OAKMAW-IWD;Orra IWD EE NPC - Orra NPC for IWD:EE

I noticed that in Orra.tp2, it has,

LABEL L#-OAKMAW-IWD

which seems to be the same label as Oak-Maw, and is what seemed to be causing the issue. I changed it to,

LABEL L#-ORRA-IWD

which resolved the issue.
    Damn! Will fix it later today! Thanks.
  • ConnellyConnelly Member Posts: 70
    It may be accidental, but I also think I found something. It seems during install the mod adds the entry RAORRA in kitlist.2da, but this is referred in weapprof.2da as RAHUHR.

It doesn't seem to me that usually this poses an issue in game. But it causes trouble when a proficiency overhaul is installed later. Skills & Abilities simply ignores it, so Orra doesn't benefit of the new system. And Talents of Faerun simply crashes.

That aside, Orra's a cozy character. Nothing extraordinary about her, just a stranger in a strange land trying to learn and make sense of what she's seeing and vibing along with the party. She's neat.
    Should be fixed now :)