Skip to content

Favorite BG1 main/party setup?

I’ve been playing Baldurs Gate since release, and have played through countless times with every type of main character, party, and alignment. I just got the port for PS4 though and am excited to play through again.

Here’s where I need help. I can’t decide what to play as! What's your favorite main character, alignment, and party? More importantly, why? Sheer power, funny NPC interactions, roleplay value, challenge, etc?

Let's hear your best combos!
AerakarBlackraven

Comments

• Antarean0475Antarean0475 Member Posts: 14
    Paladin
    Cleric
    Rogue
    Sorcerer
    Sorcerer
    Sorcerer

Personally I like all the magic missiles and ability to play any magic I feel like at any given moment.
    sarevok57
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I always make my Bhaalspawn a pure Generalist Mage, but that's because I like being able to learn every single arcane spell (Wild Mage spells excluded). I've tried to run alternate Bhaalspawns before, but I tend to lose interest in them pretty quickly, because Generalist Mage is pretty much THE class I always go to for single player RPGs. XD However, for games like Icewind Dale or even Black Pits, I'll create a more varied roster of characters and have lots of fun with them.
    sarevok57
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    I like Evil red dragon disciple for Charname, support cast of:
    Kagain for Tank
    Dorn for Melee DPS
    Viconia Cleric
    Shar Teel dual classed to Thief at F3 (shortbow/throwing daggers/melee, whatever situation dictates)
    Edwin for Mage

For pure power/effectiveness you can't really top this group.

If you prefer the "good" path, I like Dwarven Defender for Charname, support cast of:
    Minsc for melee DPS or Archery
    Dynaheir for Mage (Rasaad earlier)
    Kivan for Archery or Melee
    Coran for Thievery, Archery (Imoen earlier)
    Yeslick Cleric/Melee (Branwen earlier)

Archery is very strong in BG1! Yeslick benefits greatly from the Big-Fisted belt so it is advisable to have Rasaad as a guest for a while. Taking him to the gnoll stronghold is a good way to use up his timers. After chapter 4 is completed you can bring him to Baldurs Gate and complete the sidequest, then re-recruit Yeslick.
    sarevok57QuartzRedRodent
  • ianblessingianblessing Member Posts: 7
    Love those suggestion! The evil group looks wicked fun and powerful, and I love the themed groups, especially love hurts and women power with the male bard. Too funny!
    AerakarQuartz
  • shaldonshaldon Member Posts: 37
    edited December 2019
    I run with the Evil party too, throwing in enough good deeds to prevent falling below 6 or 7 rep and facing a spiral of murder vs. bounty hunters and flaming fist (paralyze and run, if it happens).

Charname: Anything that can wear a helmet and so avoid crits (Currently Half-Orc Fighter/Cleric)

Kagain: So many HPs! Regenerates. Give him the gauntlets of dexterity for an extra -4 AC.
    Dorn: Brutal - but need to hope for good HP rolls
    Shar-Teel: "Eat Steel, Scum!" Dualled to a thief for traps. Will fight Dorn early on, but with the dual Dorn wins and hopefully doesn't kill her. Sling or thrown daggers.
    Montaron: "What part of 'I'm a loner' do ye not understand?!" Locks and pockets. Sling. (Send Xzar to solo against an ogre early on, to get rid of him)
    Edwin: Token mage. Ring of Wizardry. Good HPs due to Con. No Identify = annoying, but that's the only downside.

If I'm not playing any kind of cleric - replace Kagain or Dorn with Viconia.
    True, but it takes a fair bit of travelling to fill the ranks. Khalid and Jaheira might be in there, or Minsc, or Dorn/Rasaad if you plan to do their quests. Still, it is important to be aware that there must be a male in the party to recruit Shar Teel initially so thanks for pointing that out. Needs to be built into the plan.

I would be inclined to keep Minsc in Faldorn's spot until Cloakwood, then feed him to the spiders.
    Permidion_Stark
  • SkompSkomp Member Posts: 4
    I usually end up with Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Branwen and Dynaheir in my party. I never bother picking up Minsc, as he is way too stupid to be traveling with me.
    Quartz
  • kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    My current run is Gorgar Halforc Barb, Shar-teel, Viconia, Faldorn, Safana, and Neera. This group does exceptionally well. I am having a blast.
    butteredsoul
    Danacm wrote: »
    I like the another canon party, all of them are the enemies of our enemy.
    Kivan
    Xan
    Branwen
    Yeslick
    Faldorn
    You can use Imoen or yourself as thief, and/or rotate them.
    All of them are hurt by Sarevok's henchmen.

Yes, this is a good one. The Vendetta/Grudge party.

Another option is to run Imoen and/or Coran until the beginning of the mine in Yeslick's slot. Outside the mine entrance drop Branwen temporarily as you will want some thievery skills in there. Remember to strip her armor and weapons first since Yeslick will need them. After completing Chapter 4 a dexterity tome will immediately become available. Bring that back to Branwen to raise Dex to 17 and dual class her to thief, then continue.

Not recommended for non-PC users due to shitty cleric/thief interface though. You need to assign a hot key or two for sanity's sake.
    Dragonspear
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    edited December 2019
    I also like the classic evil party with Xzar, Montaron, Viconia and Kagain. Using Eldoth or Edwin in last slot, nowdays Dorn.
    It was fun to robbery and kill enemies in the sword coast, but not killing or torturing innocents if it can be avoided (but there were fireball in the middle of baldurs gate ).
    Another party what i liked was the max banter fun party.
    Eldoth,Garrick,Skie,Shar-Teel, Xan

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/12045/npc-interaction-and-banter-guide-ok-finished/p1
    Ludwig_II
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    These threads always gives me new party ideas to run with
  • Dan_PDan_P Member Posts: 123
    Maybe recency bias but I really liked my party from my last playthrough that I just finished over the holidays. Jester main, Ajantis, Coran, Quayle, Imoen, Xan. Rare case where I liked every character or at least found them interesting (except Imoen but I find her too canon to dump). None of the ultra serious tryhard types except Ajantis, but I find him almost goofy in his seriousness (at least the NPC Project version).
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    edited January 2020
    I currently like Imoen, Kivan, Yeslick, Coran and Alora. All high dex (with Yeslick having the gauntlets) and lethal at range (Alora is somewhat for the lulz). Without mods the game is lacking early game good healer types and so I rush Cloakwood to get Yesa
    ilduderino wrote: »
    I currently like Imoen, Kivan, Yeslick, Coran and Alora. All high dex (with Yeslick having the gauntlets) and lethal at range (Alora is somewhat for the lulz). Without mods the game is lacking early game good healer types and so I rush Cloakwood to get Yesa

Add Edwin for Alora cross banters :D
    ilduderino wrote: »

Jaheira and Khalid can fill in for Coran and Yeslick early game, but rush Cloakwood anyway since they are a bit dry. Heals and tanking covered, plus critically important level 2 druid spells!
    Khalid actually one of the best fighters in the game. Only Kagain can be stronger fighter character.
    Neverused
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    Danacm wrote: »
    I also like the classic evil party with Xzar, Montaron, Viconia and Kagain. Using Eldoth or Edwin in last slot, nowdays Dorn.
    It was fun to robbery and kill enemies in the sword coast, but not killing or torturing innocents if it can be avoided (but there were fireball in the middle of baldurs gate ).
    Another party what i liked was the max banter fun party.
    Eldoth,Garrick,Skie,Shar-Teel, Xan

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/12045/npc-interaction-and-banter-guide-ok-finished/p1

Yea if there ever was a thing as canon 'evil' party this would be it. Was always my default bunch on an evil playthrough(With Edwin of course!)
    Dragonspear
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    I've always liked the setup of Branwen, Ajantis, Imoen, and Garrick for Good parties: all obtainable fairly early, and covers all bases pretty well: low level Cleric spells including healing, a good front liner that doesn't require a companion or quest, traps and locks, and wands and some minor spellcasting.
    ZaxaresDragonspear
  • SolmageSolmage Member Posts: 31
    My new fav party:

- elven fighter/mage/thief (ranged DPS, but can melee with shield n mirror image in a pinch), with strong crowd control: blindness, web, glitter dust. (Stopped running mirror image since I never needed it)

- Branwen: main tank, freedom of movement ring, bassilus hammer, ankheg, runs doom, command, protection from fire, hold person, holy smite

- ranged and auxiliary melee dps: Khalid since he has no quest timers, or Dorn until his quest is done, sub for Minsc or Coran after (I like Dorn but he will leave at 19 rep)

- extra mage and ranged dps: Neera for being really funny, Dynaheir for being deadly w/webs & fireballs (particularly fitting with Minsc, if picked up after 32k exp she comes with fireball , as does Neera btw) Baeloth for being insanely powerful. I set the advanced AI to cast offensive spells and load like ten magic missiles and watch the fireworks. Thankfully it’s smart enough to not cast webs and fireballs without my input, lol

Basically, I like personalities and good mechanical functionality in a 3-4 person party.

More in-depth explanations on my other party setups: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1114044#Comment_1114044
    Aerakar
  • ReturnlanderReturnlander Member Posts: 2
    Yeslick Fighter/Cleric First Tank
    Minsc Ranger melee DPS
    Branwen Cleric Tank/Support
    Coran Fighter thief ranged DPS
    Imoen Thief/Mage traps detector
    Main Character: Abjurer Magical DPS
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Completely different every time.

And I mean completely. My latest run (currently posting SoA, playing ToB) has absolutely nothing in common with my planned next run. I go for themed runs, and "no spellcasting" isn't going to match with "kill it with fire".

Strong Independent Women:
    Shar Teel
    Faldorn
    Branwen or Viconia
    Safana
    Dynaheir

A balanced group here so Charname could be any class, but not a male because this group don't need no man! Only exception would be a male skald. "Empowering" the females with song while otherwise standing around uselessly doing nothing, just being pretty.

A monk might also be acceptable if role played as a eunuch.

This party definitely does need a man because without him you are never going to get Shar Teel. She will praise you if you are a party of all women but she won't offer to join you.

You need a man to recruit Shar-Teel. You don't need a permanent man. In my latest run, my female protagonist recruited Shar-Teel as her first companion using the cursed girdle of gender.
    DinoDinBlackraven
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,567
    The first successful no-reload run I did that also included TotSC content was as follows:

Stalker Gorion's ward
    Ajantis tanking
    Branwen cleric
    Alora thief
    Garrick bard
    Xan mage

There was a bit of swapping around NPC's in the early going. I had previously succeeded at a no-reload run of the vanilla content with a Swashbuckler, but was too scared to take on Durlag's, etc.

Garrick and Xan complement each other perfectly. The excluded school for Xan are generally the best spells to load up on Garrick because they scale by level, and Bard gains levels quickly. Xan's spells and roll bonuses are super key for neutralizing the most dangerous fights in the game -- the bounty hunters, the other mages.

The bard song also worked well as a nice little timer clock for trap checking. And the stalker worked great in tandem there and just in general scouting everything. I actually made the stalker somewhat an unusual build, going for the dual to cleric in BG2. So I was warhammer and quarterstaff backstabs in BG1.

Ajantis did solid work as a tank, and a high CHA for shops. Branwen was also somewhat a tank in the early game. And was excellent for her fast level and spell acquisition.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited October 2020
    My favourite six person party is:

Charname Cavalier
    Imoen (pure thief or swashbuckler)
    Kagain
    Branwen
    Edwin
    Alora

I use a mod that means Kagain and Edwin don't leave when my reputation gets too high. It is nor exactly a power gaming set up because I have two thieves and I don't allow either of them to backstab, but I like having Alora around so I give her the Bracers of Archery, a +2 shortbow (Protector of the Dryads) and a belt full of enchanted arrows and she earns her keep as an archer.
    Post edited by Permidion_Stark on
  • LagartoLagarto Member Posts: 4
    I roll some dices to get my random party, is the best!
    Returnlander
  • SkompSkomp Member Posts: 4
    I usually play as an fighter, either an dwarven defender, or an unkitted human fighter. And I always bring with me Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Branwen, and Dynaheir. I just can't turn down my childhood friend. And Gorion told me to seek out Khalid and Jaheira, who am I, to secondguess his choice of companions? Branwen is just easy to get, and I like to have an cleric in the party. Lastly I always pick up Dynaheir without talking to Minsc, as I don't want him in the party.
    Returnlander
  • butteredsoulbutteredsoul Member Posts: 168
    If this isn't your first BG1 rodeo, you may want to try the All-Nutball Party™ with the BG1 NPC Project.

For me that amounted to:
    • Minsc - talking space hamster?
    • Tiax - God complex much?
    • Xzar - psychopath with high wisdom score.
    • Xan - bleaker than depressed.
    • Alora - Xan's antithesis: unicorns poop rainbows, stealing is fun, and even her parents described her as a "lunatic".
    • CHARNAME - I went with a female gnome dual wielding barbarian with daggers and/or clubs.

Honorable mention - Shar-Teel, our favorite misandrist.