Skip to content

Does a mod like this exist?

JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
edited September 2012 in General Modding
Since the only non-straight character for BG:EE has been confirmed male in the AMA, I and others like me are left with no official romance. Which is a bummer since everyone else is getting one, and I was really looking forward to not being left out this time. But I realize that unless there are big surprises forthcoming (unlikely), my only hope is the modding community!

Does anyone know of any add-ons for BG1 that will let me romance a female character as a woman? I'm looking for an actual romance written for either a new or original BG1 character, not a hack where I edit some variables and get to hear my love interest constantly mistake me for a man. Any help would be really, really appreciated!
zarffynBrudeLoReN_LKKurumi

Comments

• Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    Don't worry so much, I think we should expect some nice DLCs, or at least BG2.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    Only lesbian romance I know of is for BG2 : Chloe.
    IIRC you have to commit to the romance early (well before going to Spellhold) or she'll be into Imoen more.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    @Bercon I feel your pain...
    Fake_Sketch
  • zarffynzarffyn Member Posts: 175
    @Jalily

A couple of disclaimers: I've barely dabbled in modding, though I'm interested in writing for, and learning. While I'm straight as an arrow, I'm also working on writing outside that box. All that to say...

I'm curious to learn what you're looking for in a romance path? What kind of character, and motivations, would be interesting to you? What do you feel gets overstated, understated, or completely missed in a lesbian romance option in games (when they even exist)?

If you would prefer, I would also be happy to move this discussion to emails. Just let me know. I would honestly like to know. :)
    Syntia13LesbianLioness
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    From purely technical point of view, modding Neera into bisexual should be very easy. Simply change the dialog a tiny bit. Of course whether it fits into her character or not is a different matter.

If there is enough demand, I'm sure somebody will implement this or I might even do it myself if nobody else is up for the challenge.
  • cmorgancmorgan Member Posts: 707
    Sarah at G3 (BG2,ToB). Auren Auseph at G3 (BG2, ToB). Both by @Theacefes. New Imoen Romance, on an independent site - T.C. Dale is taking that one over (I can't remember if the older one was open to more than straight males). As far as I know, no same-sex romances are available in BG content. BG2 is much more open. The stories were out there in the Fan Fiction, but modding a story into BG was such a trial and tribulation most folks just decided to build the stories for a slightly older, more mature PC (and do it on an engine that didn't constantly kick them in the head every time they tried to do the simplest things).
    BrudeEmmi
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Auren Aseph won't romance the PC though afaik, only Nalia.
  • theacefestheacefes Member Posts: 85
    Yeah Auren doesn't romance the PC. Sarah does though. Imoen Romance will allow males and females to romance Imoen.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited September 2012
    @zarffyn I'm working on a message for you right now!

@Bercon True, it's only the fact that no one's even done it for the BG2 romances that makes me not want to get my hopes up. There's also the voice acted lines. Holding my breath on the DLC!

@cmorgan Thanks! And double thanks to @theacefes for making two o_o! Do any of those mods have conflicts with each other?
  • theacefestheacefes Member Posts: 85
    Not that I know of. Actually, if you have Auren and Sarah installed, they will banter will each other :)
  • RabainRabain Member Posts: 39
    Would kickstarting the Jahiera or Aerie romances via the CLUA cause much issue? I'm not sure if every dialog is checked for Gender except maybe the first ones that kick off the romance.

The dialogs may not perfectly match romancing another woman however.
    CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("CheckJaheiraMatch","GLOBAL",1)
    CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("JaheiraMatch","GLOBAL",1)

Replace Jaheira with whatever NPC of the same sex to force-start the romance.
    @Rabain, @Iansounet I've already romanced Aerie, Jaheira, and Viconia with Shadowkeeper, and all of them make numerous immersion-breaking references to the PC as a male.

Aerie even gets pregnant.

I'm hoping for something more satisfying than that.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    When you use mods to work around intended restrictions there are bound to be instances like that. Maybe you could name you character 'Male' and they would still be referring to you! :)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Jalily well you know in a world with magic that's not completely impossible ;)
    JalilyJediMBSyntia13Brude
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I might begin to dabble with NPC modding at some point. I've got some ideas.
    cmorganJalilyQuartz
  • RaklinRaklin Member Posts: 13
    Well, there's actually a few - BG2 Fix Pack over at G3 allows you do to ignore the race/gender rules w/o using SK, but doesn't fix the issue you're having where it breaks immersion.
    The Sarah and Imoen Romance NPC mods mentioned by Cmorgan (Who, if he is who my sleep addled mind thinks he is, is a boss) are a couple of good ones (The Imoen Romance mod is currently only covering SoA, with ToB on the slow burner) as is the Chloe mod.
    You also might find the Romantic Encounters mod over at G3 relevant.

Heh, I could have sworn there were more.
    @Raklin Thanks, but I know there are a few for BG2. I was looking for BG1 mods. :)
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    @Rabain Some of the dialogue is even broken in BG1. I rolled a female elf, and at the Friendly Arm Inn, Jaheira referred to me as "he" and "him."

But back in topic: It would be cool if there was a mod out there out that swapped in the correct gender pronouns (and turned off, er, pregnancy "events" in some cases) based on the gender of the PC.

It's always annoys me that many Bioware games take this position at character creation of "roll either gender! It makes no difference!" -- when it does, and for a fairly substantial chunk of the content.
    Jalily
  • RabainRabain Member Posts: 39
    @Brude That is the type of thing many fix and tweakpacks have sought to correct since modding of these games started.

If the dialogue is indeed broken you should highlight specifically where in the bug forum.

The suggestion I'd made above assumes you will meet issues like this because you are not doing what the game intends but using the cheat console to tell the game to start a romance when it shouldn't really ever start at all.

If a game tells you there is no difference between rolling a gender then any difference should be considered a bug and treated as such.
  • PraepoitusPraepoitus Member Posts: 8
    I foresee a Mod similar to Concurrant Romances, allowing you to romance anyone and anything that's even remotely romanceable. Regardless of wich gender/class/race/alugnment you choose to be.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Brude said:

@Rabain Some of the dialogue is even broken in BG1. I rolled a female elf, and at the Friendly Arm Inn, Jaheira referred to me as "he" and "him."

Can you tell more about this?
    I've reread that dialogue, it makes no mention of the protagonist gender.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    @lansounet
    Which dialog do you mean?
    While most of the general dialog is written genderless, with PC being referred to as 'ward', 'child' or 'bhaalspawn', there are some dialogs (particularly the 'thank you, hero' speaches) that say 'he' and 'his party', or 'she' and 'her' party.
    Also in BG2 Imoen starts calling PC 'bro' or 'sis', depending on gender.

As for romance dialog in BG2, there is gender all over it. Anomen constantly calls PC 'lady' or 'woman' (No woman could perform such deeds); If you romance Aerie and reject her offer to have sex, she says she's relieved, because she's terrified of a thought that a man would touch her. I'm also pretty sure that when the ladies get into a fight over the PC in the early stages of romance, one of them say something to the effect of "man like him would never want YOU". Doubtlessly there are other examples, which go unnoticed if you play the 'correct' gender, but jarring if you hacked the game to ignore gender limitations. (Thought personally I never had a problem with it - I just pretended Aerie said she found the idea of f/f action too strange right now, rather than that she's scared of men). :P
    @Syntia13

Brude said:

Can you tell more about this?
    @Avenger_teambg @Iansounet It's actually Khalid who does so...or rather, did. ~_^
    Okay, so a quick poll: this lesbian/bisexual NPC that I'm devising. What class should she be? My inclination is Thief, because there aren't many thieves running around that are single-classed in BG2. But I'm open to ideas.

@Jalily, since this is your commission, you get first pick.

(Note that I'm only open about the class; the race and name have already been decided, along with several important plot points.)
    @Aosaw, I really appreciate this! ^_^b

A single-classed thief would indeed be wonderful in BG2. After giving it some thought, my vote's for a swashbuckler. This kit has a lot of fun personality potential, and after reading your <redacted> lines, I think you can really pull it off. :) Being a swashie would also differentiate her from all of BG1's straight-up thieves. Uh, no pun intended. I swear.
    Ha! That's actually exactly what I was leaning towards myself. Swashie it is!