Skip to content

Road to 2.6 | Can you Download, Launch & Save games in the Baldur's Gate 2.6.0.4 Beta on Steam?

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Works well, including loading old save games from modded playthroughs.
    JuliusBorisov
  • dencrabcdencrabc Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2020
    When is iOS to get update for fix screen size for new models ?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    dencrabc wrote: »
    When is iOS to get update for fix screen size for new models ?

We definitely want to look into supporting new models on iOS during the 2.6 beta, but right now the focus is on testing the Steam version of the build.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    tested with latest windows 10 version and the 2.6.0.4 beta WITH SoD.
    - create new character (pre-gen), go to candlekeep, quicksave, quickload, normal save, normal load.
    - loaded an almost-to-sarevok save, walked around a while, quicksaved, quickloaded.

--> all fine here.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Timbo0o0o0Timbo0o0o0 Member Posts: 60
    Its working now, no more error massage like with the versions before. :#https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1142116/#Comment_1142116

Still playing my EET run, maybe ill finish before 2.6? ?

Thank you!
    JuliusBorisov
  • mosmos Member Posts: 26
    Any chance of making 2.6 available for testing outside of Steam any time soon? eg on GOG
    You'll get another Linux tester.
    inethsuy
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Loads and saves just fine in Windows for me.
    JuliusBorisov
  • CallirgosCallirgos Member Posts: 105
    I couldn't download it. Infinitely at 0%. Then Steam Complains.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    macOS 10.12.6. Saving, loading and the respective quick variants work flawlessly. Tried both loading an old, 2.5 game and with a new game, no problems encountered so far.
    JuliusBorisov1030ooo
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Callirgos wrote: »
    I couldn't download it. Infinitely at 0%. Then Steam Complains.

This is odd. Please try rebooting your PC and relaunching Steam.
  • CallirgosCallirgos Member Posts: 105
    edited November 2020
    Got it. It worked today!
    Wonderful.

I've been streaming playing BGEE, while over enjoying fine ales.

Last night I got pretty heated about the Mulehay Battle...
    Still love you Beamdog.

JuliusBorisov
    edited November 2020
    We're still needing a few Mac testers.
    srdbeamdog wrote: »
    5/10 macOS Players

So if you have a Mac, can you please try the beta and vote in the poll. Thanks!
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 626
    You're not seriously gonna wait for another 5 Mac players before moving on, are you?

At the rate it's been going, that's another 3-4 weeks of waiting, given there'll ever be that many :D
    Mokona_Luke_
  • ArchmageArchmage Member Posts: 32
    Game doesn't start, because build system environment is newer than the one, i am using (Debian 9.13 Stretch, x64).
    At first, it said it needs ssl lib (libssl1.0.0_1.0.1t-1+deb8u11_amd64.deb):
    $ ./BaldursGate
    ./BaldursGate: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

After i installed needed libssl, game said that i am using an older version of libc6 than the one the game was built with (i am using libc6 2.24, but game needs 2.27 or higher version):
    $ ./BaldursGate
    ./BaldursGate: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.27' not found (required by ./BaldursGate)

$ ldd --version
    ldd (Debian GLIBC 2.24-11+deb9u4) 2.24
    Copyright (C) 2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
    warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
    Written by Roland McGrath and Ulrich Drepper.
    I don't want to update Debian 9 (Stretch) to Debian 10 (Buster) right now because of the single game.
    Baldur's Gate EE version 2.5 was working fine on Debian 9. And i see no reason why version 2.6 shouldn't.

So, maybe it will be better if you'll bundle the needed libs with the game instead of forcing users to update and install missing packages?
    edited November 2020
    @Archmage

The min requirement for 2.6 on Linux is Ubuntu 18.04 or equivalent.

The libraries that make up each distro of Linux vary so much. 18.04 is already a 2-year-old operating system. Debian 9 seems to be a year older than that. I would say Debian 10 is an equivalent for Ubuntu 18.04.

The other significant change is requiring 64 bit, as that is what macOS requires. Our current Mac customers can no longer launch BG:EE, IWD:EE and BGII:EE 2.5 under the most recent OS changes, so we have to move forward. A similar thing happened with dropping Windows XP years ago.

BG:EE was released back in 2012, and operating systems and hardware march forever forward. At some point, we have to pick our development environment and go with it.

We will be considering leaving a "2.5" beta on Steam so that players who can't run 2.6 might stay at 2.5 if they need to.
    ArviaPokotaTarotRedhand
  • ArchmageArchmage Member Posts: 32
    Debian 9.13 was released on July 18th, 2020. It's not old.
    Alright, i'll check patch 2.6 when i'll update to Debian 10.
    JuliusBorisov
  • 1030ooo1030ooo Member Posts: 4
    @Archmage

The other significant change is requiring 64 bit, as that is what macOS requires. Our current Mac customers can no longer launch BG:EE, IWD:EE and BGII:EE 2.5 under the most recent OS changes, so we have to move forward. A similar thing happened with dropping Windows XP years ago.

BG:EE was released back in 2012, and operating systems and hardware march forever forward. At some point, we have to pick our development environment and go with it.

Is that means macOS 10.12 still get supported for the patch 2.6? Thanks

• PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited November 2020
    @Archmage Debian 9 is the current "oldstable", so it counts as "old". For the purposes of compatibility with Debian only the release's major version matters. 9.0 and 9.13 should be able to run the same apps equally well.

In the context of a Debian system, Stable has the specific meaning of "no new feature updates, only security ones" (don't worry, the famous jwz made this same mistake a few years back when he tried to sneak in some Xscreensaver feature updates as security ones). The current stable version is Buster, which is Debian 10. Buster became stable in July 2019. Debian 9 is Stretch, which became stable in June 2017. (For reference, Ubuntu 18.04 would have been released in April of 2018, hence "18.04") The underlying libraries generally don't change once a release is Stable.

(I make a point of using Debian's Testing version precisely because I want that continuous drip of feature creep, which is currently Debian 11 "Bullseye". We're expected to enter a Pre-Stable Freeze in January. Please note that once Bullseye becomes Stable, the Beamdog Client appimage will break across the board on Debian systems due to it expecting Buster libs)
    Post edited by Pokota on
    Archmage
  • ChiricoChirico Member Posts: 15
    So if you have a Mac, can you please try the beta and vote in the poll. Thanks!
    I'm running the latest macOS Catalina (10.15.7) on a 2019 MacBook Pro (as of this writing, I'm waiting for at least the first bug fix update to Big Sur before upgrading--my early adopter days are long behind me). I'd like to help with this Beta test. But I've never used Steam. I looked at the website, and starting from scratch, it looks like an awful lot of trouble to go to, just for this. Unless the situation improves in the near future for Steam novices like me, I'll have to wait for more convenient access to the Beta, maybe via the Beamdog Client. My apologies.
    edited November 2020
    1030ooo wrote: »
    @Archmage

Is that means macOS 10.12 still get supported for the patch 2.6? Thanks

2.6 minimum requirements:

CPU: Dual Core Processor
    RAM: 1 GB RAM
    GPU: OpenGL 2.0 compatible
    Disk: 5 GB available space
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    1030ooo
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    Chirico wrote: »
    Unless the situation improves in the near future for Steam novices like me, I'll have to wait for more convenient access to the Beta, maybe via the Beamdog Client. My apologies.

It shouldn't be difficult at all.

Launch Steam, hover the mouse on LIBRARY, select "Home", locate BG:EE, right-click on it, then click on "Properties...".
    After that click on the "BETAS" tab, and then select "road_to_2.6" where it says Select the beta you would like to opt into.
    Hope it helps.
    JuliusBorisov
    Luke93 wrote: »
    Launch Steam, hover the mouse on LIBRARY, select "Home", locate BG:EE, right-click on it, then click on "Properties...".
    After that click on the "BETAS" tab, and then select "road_to_2.6" where it says Select the beta you would like to opt into.
    Hope it helps.
    While I appreciate your consideration, as I wrote, I've never used Steam. I will attempt to clarify. I've never installed the Steam app. I've never bought anything on Steam. I bought BG:EE on the Mac App Store, the iOS App Store, and as part of the Siege of Dragonspear Collector's Edition. I have never owned BG:EE or anything else through Steam. Again, as previously written, I would therefore be starting from scratch. It appears I would have to use another platform which, I reiterate, I have never used nor had any inclination thus far to use, and pay yet again for another version of a program that I already own, solely for the purpose of running this Beta. If I am correct, then that is a higher price than I am willing to pay in the present circumstances. I hope I have now made myself clear on this point.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited November 2020
    Chirico wrote: »
    ...and pay yet again for another version of a program that I already own, solely for the purpose of running this Beta.

Unless I'm missing something, as part of the Siege of Dragonspear Collector's Edition, you should have / can request a Steam key... So no need to pay again...
    Hey! We certainly have heard quite a few players who say they don't want to use Steam / don't have the games on Steam. Steam allows for the most convenient system of testing, which is hard to ignore, considering the resources we have. We'll see if anything can be changed regarding GOG, for example.

That said, if you purchased the game from Beamdog, you can contact our support and request a Steam key, absolutely for free.
    Acifer
  • ltcconeltccone Member Posts: 10
    I played with the patch for a whole game. I had no issues until I won the battle with Sarevok, and it didn't go to SoD.
    Hey! We certainly have heard quite a few players who say they don't want to use Steam / don't have the games on Steam. Steam allows for the most convenient system of testing, which is hard to ignore, considering the resources we have. We'll see if anything can be changed regarding GOG, for example.

That said, if you purchased the game from Beamdog, you can contact our support and request a Steam key, absolutely for free.
    Thank you for the explanations. I will look into requesting a free Steam key for BG:EE as soon as I can.
    JuliusBorisov
    ltccone wrote: »
    I played with the patch for a whole game. I had no issues until I won the battle with Sarevok, and it didn't go to SoD.

Try reloading the final save and see if it moves you to SoD.
  • ltcconeltccone Member Posts: 10

I did, several times. I was just stuck in the room where I killed Sarevok. Killed everything in there and got rid of every trap and was still stuck. I unloaded the beta patch and replayed the final battle again. That time I went to SoD. I've reloaded the beta patch now that I'm in SoD and will see how it goes.
    JuliusBorisov

I did, several times. I was just stuck in the room where I killed Sarevok. Killed everything in there and got rid of every trap and was still stuck. I unloaded the beta patch and replayed the final battle again. That time I went to SoD. I've reloaded the beta patch now that I'm in SoD and will see how it goes.

Thanks! We've repro-ed it and will fix.
    ltcconePokota
This discussion has been closed.