Skip to content

Road to 2.6 | Can you Download, Launch & Save games in the Baldur's Gate II 2.6.0.4 Beta on Steam?

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
edited December 2020 in The Road to 2.6
Greetings Friends,

Thanks for all your help on the Road to 2.6 so far! While we work on multiplayer compatibility in the BG I beta, we're moving on to the first phase of testing for BG II.

Test Objective: Launch & Save the Baldur's Gate II 2.6.0.4 Beta on Steam

How to opt-in and verify in-game you're running the correct version:
  • In your Steam Library, Right-Click Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition and choose “Properties”
  • Click on the Beta Tab
  • Choose the road_to_2.6 in the drop down menu
  • If you don't see the road_to_2.6 in the drop down menu, please restart Steam
  • In-game, on the main menu, you will see that the build is 2.6.0.4

How to Participate:
Please fill out the survey below and confirm whether you can complete the following three actions in the Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition beta on Steam:
  • Download the Beta
  • From your Steam Library, Right-Click on BGIIEE > Choose Properties from the drop down list > Choose the "Betas" Tab > Choose the road_to_2.6 - Road to 2.6 from the drop down list.
  • Launch the Beta
  • Save games in the Beta

Remember the Ground Rules:
  • Back up your save games!
  • Don't test too much. While you're free to explore the whole game, please focus on the objective. Once you hit the objective or a major bug, report your feedback and stop playing the beta for now. We'll be back with more test objectives that we hope you'll take on in the future

Once we have confirmation from enough players—and can confirm there are no blocking issues— we'll move onto the next test objectives!

Testing Status:
  • 26/25 Windows Players (Done!)
  • 4/5 macOS Players
  • 5/5 Linux Players (Done!)

You can check out the 2.6 Patch List here for more details on what the full release will look like.
  1. Road to 2.6 | Can you Download, Launch & Save games in the Baldur's Gate II 2.6.0.4 Beta on Steam?55 votes
    1. Windows | I have downloaded and started Baldur’s Gate II. Save games and quick saves work as expected.
      60.00%
    2. macOS | I have downloaded and started Baldur’s Gate II. Save games and quick saves work as expected.
      18.18%
    3. Linux | I have downloaded and started Baldur’s Gate II. Save games and quick saves work as expected.
      12.73%
    4. I was unable to get the start screen (please explain).
        5.45%
    5. I was able to start the game, but there is an issue with save games (please explain).
        3.64%
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
AciferEugVVlArviagugulug5000Arkie

Comments

• SourSour Member Posts: 82
    I noticed the new "area map zoom transition" option in the graphics settings. I like the zoom option personally, but it's nice that you guys have the option to disable it for those who didn't like it. All is working so far on my end.
    JuliusBorisov
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    rgqku5c02mla.jpg
    Saving and loading works, but save games show without screenshot and party characters once more.
    JuliusBorisov
  • MeraMera Member Posts: 133
    BGIIEE in french, finally! (tears of joy and all that)
    Really cool, even though I already spotted a few typos :smiley:
    Other than that, all good here, including the issue mentioned just above :)
    AranthysJuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Mera wrote: »
    all good here, including the issue mentioned just above :)

Sorry, do you mean you too have that issue?
  • smyth25smyth25 Member Posts: 219
    I was unable to start the game on mac, as it claims I don't have permission. I'm currently using Big Sur, which was a mistake to be honest as they have seemingly tightened security once again. Note that this problem doesn't affect BGEE 2.6, just BG2EE 2.6
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited December 2020
    smyth25 wrote: »
    I was unable to start the game on mac, as it claims I don't have permission. I'm currently using Big Sur, which was a mistake to be honest as they have seemingly tightened security once again. Note that this problem doesn't affect BGEE 2.6, just BG2EE 2.6

Can you please provide a screenshot?
    diyiuqlfwflf.png

That's the warning that appears, I checked my permissions and they claim I have permission to both open and modify the application, but it doesn't work in reality.
    JuliusBorisov
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    @Doubledimas what platform is that happening on?
    JuliusBorisov
    Pokota wrote: »
    @Doubledimas what platform is that happening on?
    Windows 10. I had the same issue with the BG:EE beta when it was 2.6, but that was remedied in 2.6.0.1.
    JuliusBorisov
    all good here, including the issue mentioned just above :)

Sorry, do you mean you too have that issue?

Oh, sorry for the confusion. Nop, no issue ;)
    JuliusBorisov
    @Doubledimas Mind checking your Antivirus settings? Does it trust the new .exe and the BG2 folder in Documents?
    diyiuqlfwflf.png

That's the warning that appears, I checked my permissions and they claim I have permission to both open and modify the application, but it doesn't work in reality.

@smyth25 Please try solutions from this article: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/64842819/cant-run-app-because-of-permission-in-big-sur/64895860#64895860
  • sueilsueil Member Posts: 4
    Everything works as expected for me on Win 10.
    JuliusBorisov
  • HongKongerHongKonger Member Posts: 2
    Everything works fine on Windows 10. On Mac OS (Catalina) it won't start.

I'm upgrading to Big Sur to see if that fixes it.
  • HongKongerHongKonger Member Posts: 2
    It works fine on the Mac after moving to Big Sur.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    2.6.0.4 on Windows. Can start the game just fine. Can load and save just fine. I do actually see the portraits in the list of saved games.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Timbo0o0o0Timbo0o0o0 Member Posts: 60
    It works like a charm, thanks guys!

Windows 10 20h1 64bit.
    JuliusBorisov

Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work using those solutions, although I'm not sure if I properly set up the Homebrew software recommended in the first solution, so I may have to look at that some more.

Ok, I take it back... How could you guys mess the translation soooooooo badly?
    Why is everybody suddenly speaking to me so formally? (usage of "vous / tu")
    A huge change of tone from the original BG2 and even from BG1EE.
    (Imoen, your big sis, speaking like you're some kind of stranger...)
    I was so happy and now I'm just raging :#
    Timbo0o0o0
  • KhanNovaKhanNova Member Posts: 12

Ok, I take it back... How could you guys mess the translation soooooooo badly?
    Why is everybody suddenly speaking to me so formally? (usage of "vous / tu")
    A huge change of tone from the original BG2 and even from BG1EE.
    (Imoen, your big sis, speaking like you're some kind of stranger...)
    I was so happy and now I'm just raging :#

Hum. No, in the original version of the game, there was already this problem with the "Tu/vous" in the beginning of the game with Jaheira and Imoen.

Don't be so mean please.
    KhanNova wrote: »

Hum. No, in the original version of the game, there was already this problem with the "Tu/vous" in the beginning of the game with Jaheira and Imoen.

Don't be so mean please.

Not saying there were not some inconsistencies in the original game. But I just double checked with youtube footage and BG1EE and this translation made them faaaar worse. Anyway, I suppose Beamdog won't do anything (if they even can) and it's gonna need to be modded.
    @JuliusBorisov Success! Managed to get it working on my mac just be deleting the game and installing it again. Likely it was an issue specifically with my installation/computer rather than the new patch.
    JuliusBorisov
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Works well! Tried a new char, save and load. No problems.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ProontProont Member Posts: 141
    On my Windows 7 machine, saving and quick saving works.
    JuliusBorisov
    @Doubledimas Mind checking your Antivirus settings? Does it trust the new .exe and the BG2 folder in Documents?
    Odd, I had an exception in AV for the BG2 folder, but after removing and re-adding it, save games show portraits and screenshots as supposed to :smile:.
    JuliusBorisov
  • jaypeejaypee Member Posts: 47
    No problems on my win10 laptop
    JuliusBorisov
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited December 2020
    @JuliusBorisov Success! Managed to get it working on my mac just be deleting the game and installing it again...

I too was forced to delete and reinstall the game, but I got a different error on Catalina...
    juizdow80d52.png
    Luke93 wrote: »
    @JuliusBorisov Success! Managed to get it working on my mac just be deleting the game and installing it again...

I too was forced to delete and reinstall the game, but I got a different error on Catalina...
    juizdow80d52.png

Does it mean you solved that error? By which steps?
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    Does it mean you solved that error? By which steps?

I solved that error by deleting the game and installing it again... Not sure what caused it...
    JuliusBorisov
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 626
    ktorhar204ev.jpg