Skip to content

New Modules from Beamdog?

Anyone heard if there are future plans to make more modules?

Comments

• CerabelusCerabelus Member Posts: 385
    I bet they are putting most of Thier work towards other projects.
    I don't think they intend to spend anymore money on NWN, it's been left to the community to add content.

Personnally it's a shame because i remember being excited when i first heard of the NWN EE than as times gone on i completely lost hope.

It seems the most vocal parts of the community doesnt want Beamdog to make any content but i wanted to see what Beamdog could do...
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    They are still working on NWN, and i'm thankful for it.

They are tight lipped about what their next project it, so nobody can really say what is coming next from them. The community has a number of huge developments going on right now, however, from overhauling the entire character model system to implementing ready-made packages of assets and game changes to create worlds like Dark Sun. I turn on NWN casually here and there, but i'm always watching for new releases and projects because there really is a lot of look forward to.
  • Night76Night76 Member Posts: 45
    Nothing ... is a dead project :( and i'm very sorry ... but i think WotC don't want to create more contents with older version of D&D.
    Night76 wrote: »
    Nothing ... is a dead project :( and i'm very sorry ... but i think WotC don't want to create more contents with older version of D&D.

I don't think it's dead by any means, but yeah, WoTC doesn't know how to market multiple products and doesn't allow older editions to continue with their blessing. Somehow, modules like Furiae get a pass though, so there is some leeway it seems.
    If Beamdog wants work on something new away from WotC than I hope it's a solid experience.
    To be honest I don't have any interest in new D&D from WotC, they are headed in a direction I'm not interested in and 5th edition seems like a completely different game, what was wrong with 3.5?
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited December 2020
    @Cerabelus said
    what was wrong with 3.5?

From their point of view it just wouldn't make enough money. Why buy new rule books when the ones you've got haven't fallen to pieces yet?

TR
    @Cerabelus said
    what was wrong with 3.5?

From their point of view it just wouldn't make enough money. Why buy new rule books when the ones you've got haven't fallen to pieces yet?

TR

They probably also don't want to compete with their own product, but i'm not so sure it would. The 3.5 subculture is nearly as popular as the modern day 5e crowd from what i've seen, but there is minimal crossover. 3.5 folks aren't very interested in 5e and the 5e folks usually stick to that. They don't even need to publish physical books in the age of the mass internet and .pdfs anyway. I think they could do just fine running a 3.5 system alongside their 5e system, but I don't own WoTC.
  • Night76Night76 Member Posts: 45
    To restore NWN:EE interest they should create an expansion like Shadow of Undrentide or if that is too much work a little DLC with 2 PRC + 10-15h campaign centered to that PRC.

Another solution is create 1/2 new tileset + 2/3 new monster models and create an adventures 10-15h around that.

I will pay 20/25$ for this kind of DLC without problems.

I think that Beamdog consider this option but had stopped by WotC.
    Did people have similar discussions when they went from AD&D 2.5e to D&D 3e?

I had very limited experience with 2.5e with BG than got a feel for the game with NWN, went back to BG 1&2 and started loving it more than NWN.

The one game that feels odd to me is Icewind Dale 2, it feels like it should be a 2.5e game but it plays like very early 3e, i played and finished it twice and both times i feel like it should be 2.5e.
  • DwayneDwayne Member Posts: 102
    Cerabelus wrote: »
    Did people have similar discussions when they went from AD&D 2.5e to D&D 3e?

I had very limited experience with 2.5e with BG than got a feel for the game with NWN, went back to BG 1&2 and started loving it more than NWN.

The one game that feels odd to me is Icewind Dale 2, it feels like it should be a 2.5e game but it plays like very early 3e, i played and finished it twice and both times i feel like it should be 2.5e.

When you say D&D 2.5 do you mean Skills and Powers? I loved that system.
    @Dwayne

After i got a handle on the game i love BG 1 & 2 & IWD 1, it was easier for me to learn the core aspects of D&D on NWN.

I love that system too but i was shockingly bad at BG when i first played, i understand why they moved away from it but i now think it's gone too far away from being D&D.
  • FaerûnFaerûn Member Posts: 39
    edited December 2020
    I don't want to hijack this thread, but since it's semi-topical and this is one of the only recent conversations - can anyone tell me what is currently actually being developed? I've tried following the Trello board but it has hardly any activity and it feels like things keep getting moved to the icebox every time I check it.

When my friends and I bought EE we were under the impression that updated aesthetics were to be one of the main focuses, and while I am overjoyed with the lighting upgrade we received 1+ years after release, I'd really like to see some new models and animations. Does their work only extend to the "framework" of the game and the community is expected to take it from there?

I'm happy to see that NWN:EE has brought the game to the next generation, it just feels like it's stopped short of what we were promised. There was such a massive influx of players at launch and playing on full servers again felt amazing. Unfortunately there was no way to retain them without offering them updated models, textures, sprites, animations etc. that they've come to expect from other remasters. After watching the community dwindle again and streamers trash the campaign and give up without ever attempting online play I just feel like this masterpiece missed it's shot at fame.

If you're reading this Julius, Merry Christmas. <3
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    edited December 2020
    Happy holidays to @Faerûn as well. :)

We stopped updating the Trello as the company moved on from roadmaps because in game development it sometimes becomes impossible to fulfil some promised features. As the work on the renderer showed, a ton of previous promises can harm you a lot when the technical pipeline just rejects all attempts to be fixed.

That said, in 2020 we released 3 major patches for NWN:EE, including the biggest update to NWN since 1.69. We'll keep on working on the game but we now prefer to first show then tell, not the other way round. Hope you'll understand that.

Right now we're focused on updating the Android version of NWN:EE and releasing another update to the iOS version-- because mobile versions are still not on the same level as the PC one.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    edited July 2021
    @JuliusBorisov

Don't you mean, "the biggest update to NWN since 1.69"? It seems to me, other than visible cloaks, Patch 1.6H8 didn't contribute anything to write home about. In fact, it broke a part of the combat UI that worked in earlier builds. Patch 1.69 was the final support patch released by BioWare for NWN Classic, and it added a ton of fixes and features beyond the scope of what 1.6H8 brought to the gaming table. That's just my point of view. What do I know? I'm just a guy who unloads trucks and breaks down loads for a living. At any rate, I hope WotC doesn't let its decision to allow more premium modules be swayed by the reviews of Dark Dreams of Furiae. I'd like to see Beamdog be given more freedom to update the content already within the game and to create more. Thank you for reading, and happy (healthy) gaming and holidays to all.
    Post edited by Prince_Raymond on