Skip to content

BG1NPC Bug Report and Discussion Thread

Comments

• SpotSpot Member Posts: 12
    Did the mod's portraits break for you guys too with the latest update? Tried reinstaling it but to no avail.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    Spot wrote: »
    Did the mod's portraits break for you guys too with the latest update? Tried reinstaling it but to no avail.

@Spot would you give more info as to what exactly went wrong and what you mean by break? Which game are you on, which version of bg1npc were you using?
    jmerry wrote: »
    - Kivan's spear (Elven Spear of Entanglement): The issue is that BGEE Kivan isn't proficient with spears. He's specialized with halberds instead, and that means he can't use his spear effectively (and neither can any other standard NPC companion; only Coran can even equip it, and he doesn't have spear proficiency either). Change it to use halberd proficiency, much like Xan's moonblade uses dagger proficiency?
    @jmerry you know it took me until *now* to understand that you are suggesting to change the proficiency the weapon comes with, not change Kivan's pips? :o

Wise_Grimwald
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Thanks for the new update @jastey !

Question, though. Is it possible to somehow use the old "Send NPCs to Inn" component with the newest version of the rest of this mod? Perhaps by importing it into the tp2 file, and copying over the related data?

Or would that lead into too much of a buggy mess?
    @Thels I haven't looked into it. I guess it's possible to reinsert it, just make sure all needed setup.tra lines are provided, as well.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    edited January 2021
    Why was that component removed? I know the Tweak Pack offers a similar component, but it's less customised for the individual NPCs than Dorotea's old one I think (e.g. Montaron & Xzar waiting at the Low Lantern).
    ThacoBellWise_Grimwald
    The main reason was to remove doubled and incompatible components across mods. The decision did not take individual differences into account.
    There is also the possibility to offer the BG1NPC version in the Tweak Anthology component as an alternative. It's a matter of time this wasn't done yet.
    Well I'd say when in doubt it's better to preserve old content in simply add a warning for incompatibilities... or if really necessary comment them out in the code I guess, rather than just deprecate them altogether. But that's just me, I like little touches like that better than the streamlined approach. :)
    ThacoBellWise_Grimwald
    edited January 2021
    Yeah, I don't really mind if the component is in the NPC Project or in the Tweaks Pack.

However, people run the NPC Project because they want to give more character to the NPCs. The NPC Project's "Send to Inn" module had character. Rather than standing forever where they were last dismissed, NPCs would return to locations of their own choosing!

The "Send to Inn" module that's incorporated into Tweaks is way more gamey in nature. You can just send all the NPCs to almost all over the map based on your own convenience, regardless of the personality of the NPC, except NPCs only know about inns that you as the player has visited, regardless of the NPC having been in the party at that time. That just feels way too gamey.

It's been over two years since the "Send to Inn" module has been removed from NPC Project because it would be included in the Tweaks Anthology. There have been 3 new releases of Tweaks since. I don't think @CamDawg has plans to include the module, unfortunately?
    IseweinThacoBell
    edited January 2021
    @Thels this is a hobby of people who do the mods in their free time. Have patience or do it yourself is the answer if you want something implemented. This is not forgotten, but people have own lives.
    EDIT: And it wasn't removed from BG1NPC "to be included" into Tweaks Anthology, but because there is a similar component in TA. Adding it as an install choice was an idea that came up later. I'm not sure CamDawg knows about it yet, to be honest. It doesn't ncessarily have to be him doing it.
    Of course, I understand. :) It was just a suggestion that I thought wouldn't be that much additional work, seeing as it was available before. I might be wrong there, though. Thank you for all your efforts!
    Wise_Grimwald
    Integrating this into Tweaks Anthology will happen some day. It was not bad will if it didn't so far. I apologize in case I sounded annoyed.
    I understand that this is just a hobby, and people need time to implement things. It just seems though, that after several years have passed without any news, there's a chance the intention is simply not there?

Or do you mean that implementing it into Tweaks is a new suggestion, and not a planned idea back when the module was removed from this mod?

Overall, I'm just a little sad that a cool feature was removed from this mod, because a much less cooler feature was implemented in a different mod. :(

As always, thanks for your hard work @jastey !
    jasteyWise_Grimwald
    @Thels the intention is there, I agree that it's hard to understand why it takes years. The problem is lack of free time and man power in combination with too much projects. On top for this one specifically, I don't think @CamDawg is actually aware this was discussed plus he's not active currently, @AstroBryGuy is not active, either, so that leaves me. I have it on my list but there is about 30+ other jobs on that, too, and the tweak is not of highest priority.
    But priorisation of adopted projects (like BG1NPC maintenance) shifts sometimes depending on someone phrasing interest for something, so feel free to ask about the sending-to-inn tweak occasionally.
    Wise_GrimwaldTrouveur
    @jastey Would it make more sense to add the module to Tweaks Anthology or back to the NPC Project?

I could look at how it was implemented in earlier versions of the NPC Project, and see if I can update those changes back into the NPC Project, and then make a pull request.

However, if you insist on not having the module in the NPC Project, I wouldn't know where to start on Tweaks.
    @Thels I thank you for the offer. I see the final solution with the BG1NPC tweak inside TA, though. So integrating them temporarily back into BG1NPC would mean more work overall.
  • KeeptruckingKeeptrucking Member Posts: 7
    Will BG1NPC work properly if I install it partway through my playthrough of BG:EE, or do I need to start a new game?

Thanks for any help.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited March 2021
    Will BG1NPC work properly if I install it partway through my playthrough of BG:EE, or do I need to start a new game?

Thanks for any help.

Installing ANY mod halfway through the game is likely to cause problems. It is particularly likely to do so if the mod changes things in an area that has already been visited. You can often get away with it if you haven't left Candlekeep for the first time, but it should never be recommended.
    jastey
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 480
    Hi, with BG1 NPC Project V24.9 installed directly on EET, I found a typo error in one of Coran's interjection in Candlekeep.
    65pzhzozl83t.bmp
    Wise_Grimwald
    @Trouveur thank you, fixed on my local copy for the next update.
    TrouveurWise_Grimwald
    jastey wrote: »
    @Trouveur thank you, fixed on my local copy for the next update.
    Thank you for maintaining so many good mods, and creating new ones as well. I will try Brandock in my next run. :smile:
    Wise_Grimwald
    I don't know if it is related to BG1 NPC Project, patch 2.6, EET or SCS 33.7, but I encountered a bug with :
    Winski Perorate and Dynaheir in the Thieves Maze, after his speech he summons a Nabassu named Aravaata, there is the dimension door spell effect, but no creature appears at all.
    d8ccfpwrtzdo.jpg
    @Trouveur this is a known problem for some games. See here.
    Trouveur
    edited April 2021
    jastey wrote: »
    @Trouveur this is a known problem for some games. See here.
    Thank you.

EDIT : I tried again today, and this time it works perfectly. I don't know what happened when I first tried...
    Post edited by Trouveur on
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Member Posts: 176
    I recently completed a playthrough of BG1 with my games bookclub and here are our/my thoughts on BG1 NPC

BG1 NPC Project: A must-have mod that brings BG1 much closer to par with BG2 for characterization of the NPCs. I'm not 100% sure I agree with all of the characterizations, but it is by far an overall improvement and I couldn't imagine playing the game without this. Note that there's a bug with Imoen where she won't rejoin via dialogue if you kick her out of the party, even temporarily. CTRL+Q was used as a workaround and it didn't seem to break any of her dialogue scripts. Hopefully this bug will get fixed in the future/has already been fixed. I used the following components:

1. Required Modifications
    2. Banters, Quests, and Interjections
    3. Ajantis's Romance
    4. Branwen's Romance
    5. Coran's Romance
    6. Dynaheir's Romance
    7. Shar-Teel Relationship
    8. Xan's Romance
    9. Female Romance Challenges, Ajantis vs Xan vs Coran
    10. Banter Timing Tweak
    11. Bardic Reputation Adjustment
    12. Sarevok's Diary Adjustments - SixofSpades
    13. Player-Initiated Dialogues
    AerakarWise_Grimwaldjastey
    @Caedwyr thank you very much for all the reviews! It's very appreciated.
    Which version of BG1NPC did you use and what game?
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Member Posts: 176
    @jastey I appear to have used version 24.9 on an EET install. I put this install together at the end of August, so some of the issues I ran into may very well have been fixed by now.

One thing I can really advise for taking people through the game, is that EET is a much more seamless experience. My one regret is that I'm not going to be able to take advantage of a bunch of the additional transition and tweak mods that came out after August last year and which make the SoD transitions flow much more smoothly.
    @Caedwyr thanks. I think the Imoen kickout/rejoin is fixed in the current version.
    AerakarCaedwyrWise_Grimwald