Skip to content

[Mod] Endless BG1 - A Mod for BG:EE, BG:SoD, BGT, and EET!

Comments

• MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    edited June 2020
    Quick question. I unpacked the zip file, but there is no .EXE. I know you can simply rename the Weidu executable from another mod (or the original) to match, but will that work in this case?

I'm about to setup a fresh mod install of BG1 on my tablet.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    edited June 2020
    @Maurvir the links in the first post were outdated!! The current version is at GibberlingsThree GitHub now: here.
    Awesome - thanks!

As an aside, is there a BG2 version of this? It would be nice to do the same thing there as well.
    @Maurvir You mean an "Endless SoA" mod? It's actually on my list, but the list is long so I can't say anything specific.
    No worries. I'm mid-way through a SoA/ToB run as it is, so I'm not ready to update the install. It would be awfully nice, though - I've never been a huge fan of being automatically dumped into the next game after the final fights.

I was asking about the BG1 mod because I'm prepping a new install now. I want to try a different character class, but I'm funny about it - I feel like I should start them out in Candlekeep for a full run. It feels too weird to start a new character in BG2.
    The mod updates to v13.1!

This should fix the install error for some BGT installs.
  • zoharzohar Member Posts: 25
    I am running at some problem with this mod. When I talk to the duke and the game authomatically transition to Siege of Dragonspear my journal is all messed up. The quests from the main game shows on the journal page and the journal updates from Siege of Dragonspear doesn't appear.
    @zohar EBG1 uses the original's game SoD transition cutscene, all it does is move its call to a later point. The mod does not change how it's done, only when. It also does not change or interfere with the journal system in any way.
    The mod updated to v4.0!

Version 4 comes with a Russian translation by Austin, Arkie & Arcanecoast.ru and some improvements for the component "Flaming Fist Healer come into Undercity Temple".

Changes:

-Russian translation added by Austin, Arkie & Arcanecoast.ru
    -Component "Flaming Fist Healer come into Undercity Temple": FF should not die if area effects are still active, changed text slightly for compatibility with "remove traps" tweak mods.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    zohar wrote: »
    I am running at some problem with this mod. When I talk to the duke and the game authomatically transition to Siege of Dragonspear my journal is all messed up. The quests from the main game shows on the journal page and the journal updates from Siege of Dragonspear doesn't appear.

sod in general still uses the chapter 7 journal page in the tutorial dungeon.
  • zoharzohar Member Posts: 25
    edited August 2020
    jastey wrote: »
    @zohar EBG1 uses the original's game SoD transition cutscene, all it does is move its call to a later point. The mod does not change how it's done, only when. It also does not change or interfere with the journal system in any way.

What is strange is that when I import a save from before you talk to the duke, the journal is cleaned up and all is fine but when I talk to him and the transition is automatic, the problem appears...

I should say that I use lefreut's Enhanced UI. Don't know if it could be the cause.
    The mod has a mod page and download page at Gibberlings Three now!
  • Necromanx2Necromanx2 Member Posts: 1,246
    @jastey can I install this on an existing game where I have not yet reached Baldurs Gate?
    @Necromanx2 this should be possible, yes. Of course I don't know how heavily modded your game already is (and don't forget to deinstall EET_End before adding mods and reinstalling it before playing in case it's EET), but from ebg1's perspective, adding it before reaching Baldur's Gate in the game should not give any problems.
    The mod updates to v5! Main changes are compatibility with the Transitions Mod. Thanks Mike1072 for typo corrections!

Changes:

-compatibility with Transitions
    -ebg1 considers Transitions' versions of Sarevok Items in Duke Belt's and Denkod's dialogue
    -typo corrections in readme and setup.tra by Mike1072
    edited September 2020
    I just finished my first game with this, and I love it. This really is how BG1 should have ended, as it totally changes the "final" battle for the better.

I normally just go full throttle on Mr. S, knowing that the game will end when he goes down. With this mod, I had to be vastly more strategic in that battle. I wasn't sure if my crew was up to at first, but with judicious use of health, strength, and invisibility potions, combined with arrows of biting and detonation, I was able to get to the goal post. Once it was down to just Mr. S, the party unloaded on him - and since the previous battle had used no magic, it was considerable.

This just became one of my default mod installs. Great work!

As an aside, I noticed that the traps in the temple were missing? Was this intentional?
    @Maurvir Thanks for the kind words!

The traps will only be removed after the Flaming Fist Healer and Scout come into the Temle after all three foes are dead and the PC requests the traps to be removed. If the traps weren't there from the start then this was another mod (I think SCS offers an option to remove them altogether).
    I will have to check what other mod options were installed, but they were definitely not there prior to the FF arriving. I can't imagine I did that on purpose, but perhaps I misunderstood one of the SCS install option questions.
    edited January 2021
    The mod is not compatible with 2.6 beta so far.
  • tl1942tl1942 Member Posts: 178
    edited February 2021
    Maurvir wrote: »
    I just finished my first game with this, and I love it. This really is how BG1 should have ended, as it totally changes the "final" battle for the better.

I normally just go full throttle on Mr. S, knowing that the game will end when he goes down. With this mod, I had to be vastly more strategic in that battle.

I'm wondering if you could explain this a little more?

@jastey
    Also, it sounds like this could allow for better consistency with SOD, where the game continues after you defeat the final boss and you only get the transition cutscene later. Since this adds a little bit more exposition after Sarevok's defeat (kinda similar to the way SOD ends), that seems like a good thing...but I'm wondering how exactly the transition happens? The intro cinematic for SOD is triggered by talking to Duke Belt? So you could hypothetically go back and, say, do Durlag's Tower after beating Sarevok and *then* trigger SOD?

How does the player intuitively *know* to transition to SOD this way? What I mean is, in SOD, this is done via cutscenes...but how is the transition to SOD set up within the context of the game world? That is, without breaking the 4th wall, does your mod handle this in an elegant, in-game way where the player will "know" that talking to Duke Belt will initiate this transition?

Also, regarding Sarevok's armor; if you get Sarevok as a companion in TOB, he specifically mentions that he regrets not having his armor in some of the dialog... That would seem to contradict the fact that you could presumably carry his armor into TOB via EET, right? Or is that handled some other way?

FWIW, I always felt like one alternative was to put the Korlasz Tomb into BG1 (if it was possible to make a map icon where the location was "unreachable"), and then have the expedition to Korlasz's Tomb as the "final quest" of BG1, initiated when you talk to Duke Belt. Then have the intro cinematic for SOD start *after* Korlasz is defeated.

EET keeps your party consistent up to the defeat of Korlasz, and weeks pass after that, so that always seemed like the logical SOD transition for me.
    Post edited by tl1942 on
    @tl1942
    So you could hypothetically go back and, say, do Durlag's Tower after beating Sarevok and *then* trigger SOD?
    Exactly, that's what this mod enables - the game stays in the BG1 world after Sarevok is dead and the player can do all quests before triggering the transition to SoD (Korlasz Crypt).
    without breaking the 4th wall, does your mod handle this in an elegant, in-game way where the player will "know" that talking to Duke Belt will initiate this transition?

I'm not sure I succeeded. This is the reply options you see in the dialogue that decides the game transition:
    @2 /* ~[Duke Belt]<CHARNAME>, Hero of Baldur's Gate. Are you ready to combine forces with the Flaming Fist and go against the last followers of Sarevok?~ */
    @4 /* ~Yes, I am ready and I will start right away. Send me wherever you need me.~ */ -> starts SoD with transferring the party to Korlasz Dungeon
    @5 /* ~Actually, I had enough of fulfilling a role. I won't be a lackey to you or anyone. I'll leave Baldur's Gate and look for my fate elsewhere. Fare well.~ */ -> skips SoD and starts BGII in ID (EET only)
    @6 /* ~Not right away. I have a few things to finish first.~ */ -> exits dialogue, game remains in BG1
    If you get this completely unprepared it's well possible the player doesn't understand it's THE dialogue, so I am considering adding 4th wall infos there to make it more clear: (start SoD transition), (remain in BG1) etc. because I wouldn't know how to make it really clear without breaking the 4th wall.
    Also, regarding Sarevok's armor; if you get Sarevok as a companion in TOB, he specifically mentions that he regrets not having his armor in some of the dialog... That would seem to contradict the fact that you could presumably carry his armor into TOB via EET, right? Or is that handled some other way?
    This is not considered yet. Also, Tantalus' Sarevok mod where the armor BAMs are from is not considered, either.
    then have the expedition to Korlasz's Tomb as the "final quest" of BG1, initiated when you talk to Duke Belt. Then have the intro cinematic for SOD start *after* Korlasz is defeated.
    With Endless BG1 that's basically what is happening. You can finish anything that's still remains in BG1 and when you are ready, talking to Duke Belt and agreeing to help the Dukes against Sarevok's last follower, SoD starts by transferring the group into Korlasz Dungeon. Isn't the Caelar cinematic after Korlasz' Crypt, anyway? I don't remember right now.
    'm wondering if you could explain this a little more?
    I think what @Maurvir means is that the game doesn't end after Sarevok is dead any more if EBG1 is installed. You have to kill all 4 foes inside the Temple now.

• tl1942tl1942 Member Posts: 178
    @jastey Thanks for the informative reply. IMHO, that dialog looks just right to me. Overall, the mod really sounds outstanding! Can't wait to try this out on my next run. Thanks again.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I have an older version running on 2.6 and was not aware of the incompatibility. Is there a workaround for the entire palace being out for your blood?
    Set "SetGlobal("SarevokBehavior","GLOBAL",5)" before entering the palace after killing Sarevok.
  • cddscdds Member Posts: 46
    edited September 2021
    Kudos jastey, really wanting to use Endless BG1 (and your Seatower) was the main reason for me to finally make the switch to PI (from the other tool). War längst überfällig :smile:
    edited September 2021
    @cdds Thanks for the kind words!
    I was about to write "Have fun with the Partial Convertion mod then" but I fear not everyone would get the joke and I don't want to explain where this is coming from.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Set "SetGlobal("SarevokBehavior","GLOBAL",5)" before entering the palace after killing Sarevok.

Thanks! This is probably the funniest bug I've personally encountered. "You've saved the city and we are eternally grateful. Now die!"
  • cddscdds Member Posts: 46
    edited September 2021
    I was about to write "Have fun with the Partial Convertion mod then"
    :D

@ThacoBell yes, I also thought it's hilarious. Maybe they want to make sure they get this BhaalSpawn early enough!..