Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    Nice progress @histamiini...! Are you planning to switch to Helm in SoD cause without being able to recharge Goblet or Sandthief Ring more than once things might get really tricky for a Cavalier, no? ^^
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,454
    edited February 2021
    @Harpagornis Helm? Cavalier will need boon of Waukeen through SoD I think.

EDIT: Lol I just read about the changes. Need to think what I've actually done to this point.
  • alice_ashpoolalice_ashpool Member Posts: 261
    edited February 2021
    Been playing round with charm in the dukes ambush and no matter what I do the mage, when he finally turns seems to endlessly summon monsters. Feel like the hell fight that is going to kill anastasia v4.

I don't really understand this - is it a reaction to being by itself?

I have 2 ogre berserkers, 4 ogres, an ettercap, 2 ogrillons, 2 gnolls, a flind and a water elemental...
    @alice_ashpool Yeah it feels like computer cheats with no summon limits. Happens in many encounters.
    edited February 2021
    histamiini wrote: »
    @alice_ashpool Yeah it feels like computer cheats with no summon limits. Happens in many encounters.

It's the first time I have been genuinely frustrated with the SCS scripting being different from what the player is allowed to do. I had one run where I parked him in the piano room and when I checked the whole room was overflowing with lizardmen, must have been 25 or something.

But as always, there is little that going to make a cup of coffee + "pause on enemy sighted" can't deal with.

edit: i've had so many stupid things happen in that fight now. Props to the doppleganger mage going invisible in a side room then doing absolutely nothing. Without detect illusion that might have bricked it. Also second props to Liia who decided on one run she was going to try a melee only approach.
    edited February 2021
    So the Cavalier run got nuked as I've recharged Ring of Energy and Goblet more than once. Should've payed more attention to these changes. :s
    Oh, no @histamiini - what a shame. I did something really stupid relying on the innate charm resistance of Elves too much. A charmed Carrion Crawler soaked up the poison arrows of three Nymphs and when the charms went off i was confident to soak them up with ease... one was resisted... two... three... and then the fourth one turned everything gray....
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,843
    You have a wrong picture in there - a shot of you composing the post instead of the intended beholder backstab.
    Incidentally, while it's called an elder orb, it has no spellcasting abilities. It also doesn't get the SCS beholder AI; it just gets a generic melee AI on top of its original script. And it should have the same backstab immunity as other beholders; it has an immunity effect in the character file just like them.

On those puzzle runes ... it is a little odd that there aren't any clues. Then again, I usually just make one of my party members fire immune and take the penalty for wrong guesses. A minor globe would also work, but not the cloak of mirroring.

There is a path through the engine room that doesn't spawn in either of the two golem packs - take the ice entrance and stay away from the fire entrance. Both of the spawn triggers are on paths from the fire entrance. If you do that, there's only the one clay golem to fight.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Funny. In my install, if you throw daggers at her from range, Morentherene stays sleeping until she gets hit (probably on a critical), whereupon she'll die. In this screenshot, you can see Angelo throwing several daggers without interruption on the UI until he hits.[/spoiler]

In my experience this only works if you're completely unbuffed when you approach her: no active potions or spell buffs (not even stuff like invisibility).
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,338
    edited February 2021
    Existing buffs done outside the cave are OK, but you can't add new buffs inside the cave. You also need to shoot from full range - if you get too close she will be activated by your presence rather than your thrown daggers.
    Post edited by Grond0 on
    edited February 2021

I also managed to kill him with an illu/thief (not legit, i used the console to practice the fight right away and spawned scrolls and gear) on insane with Otiluke Resilient Sphere scrolls + fireshield blue scrolls, keeping an oil of speed up (wearing paws of the cheetah to avoir getting stuck by the teleporting demons, you really have to be quick but 4x speed really works well until you drink your next invisibility potion, you have to run as soon as the sphere ends) and stoneskin/mirror image during the cast and the ''runaway'' phase when the sphere effect ends to avoid taking damage but i have a hard time to see this scenario working on LOB with the 3x HP + 80 as you would need about 10 scrolls of fireshield blue (as i remember, i needed 3 of both scrolls on insane. Should deal a bit more damage per scroll with the +1 APR of LoB but it's still not sufficient with the limited scrolls in the game... i think, i might test this further in the future).

How did you avoid being just surrounded and unable to move? Every time I've tried this something (I was guessing the erynes since she can see through invisible same as Bel?) seems to dispel my invisibility, while ORS'd, meaning that there is a demonic welcoming party too dense to escape when ORS drops.

edit: just to explain what happens when I try this - Buffed and invisible, Bel can see. FSB + ORS. Bel attacks, other demons mill around. Erynies appears and starts shooting. Other demons seem to notice, begin whaling on ORS like Bel. ORS drops, try and move to re-buff+cast, occasionally works (10%?) but usually ganked.
    edited February 2021
    @alice_ashpool As I recall once you drink Invisibility potion, lesser demons start to move, which might give window to escape.
    Ah ha, I see - that just leaves the interminable wait between ORS dropping and drinking the potions which IIRC wasn't immediate - like casting ORS meant aura was still "filled" at the end of the spell - almost like frozen time during its duration. Longest few seconds of Sophia's life.

But yeah, with Stoneskin, MI, + some sort of AC boosts It could be possible to wait out that time if the invisi pot causes the fiends to shift.
  • XDarkStrikerXXDarkStrikerX Member Posts: 102
    @alice_ashpool I managed to get 3 rounds in a row where Belhifet was like this:

oji8rhhpb9h2.png

dvpg5nkv40wb.png

It worked after many attempts but for Insane but it is much easier to evade hits due to lower enemy THAC0 and -1 APR compared to LoB, i'm not sure it would even be possible just because of that. it is much better to simply tank him with mirror image and stoneskin and keep fireshield up while staying invisible the whole time on insane, i had good success doing that (6x fireshield scrolls, as many mirror image/stoneskin casts and scroll as possible + sequencer. Would obviously not work on LoB).

I'm not sure what triggers the demon to target you or not while invisible into the sphere, this is what i am going to try to discover.
    edited February 2021
    @AvidGamerFan I don't know if drained lv1 WS Archer can beat Bel melee. When CS's are out, lets say it will do 1d8+3 +7STR +4Racial, about 19 avg damage per hit. And it will hit only 20's, so it does 38*0.75=28.5 avg damage per 20 attacks. And because Martyr's needs to be equipped which doesn't hit, the apr is just 1.5 without Oil of Speed. Average attack damage with 1.5apr is then 42.5 per 20 rounds, and Bel will regen 40hp during this time, which leads to around 8000 rounds average time to kill him.
    Ah, still some progress here and good to see that your Archer is still proving strong @AvidGamerFan... but... hey... i dont like this shopping exploit so if anyone ever uses this in Cataclysm you will get cursed for eternity! B)

Anyway: Good hunting! ;o)
    @Harpagornis Btw did we agree on relinquishin weapons forever if taken out from slots, except for shield? It's not really worded on there.
    Yeah, sounds good @histamiini or do you have another idea in mind?