Skip to content

[MOD] Bristlelick - the gnoll bruiser NPC

LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,700
edited December 2021 in BG:EE Mods
You are a fan of having some unusual NPCs in your group? Here's an option you may be interested in: it's Bristlelick - the gnoll bruiser... and he's ready to join your group.

iwbui2r5f47y.jpg

The mod adds an NPC - gnoll bruiser, a former bandit who worked for Garclax, a gnoll you may also encounter in the original game, during the investigation of the Bandit Camp. Bristlelick is a frontline warrior of neutral character. He enjoys battle, a fine meal, and seeks vengeance for killing his trusted companion, Bull-Tall.

The mod includes a series of timed talks and some scenery talks and a set of his personal items. To make him fit well into the concept, he also receives his very own kit.

The NPC may be joined near the rocky road on the Bandit Camp area (AR1900). In Siege of Dragonspear he may join the team near the first camp (BD1000).

Download
Forum

Enjoy!
Post edited by LavaDelVortel on

Comments

• jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    And *pop*, there is another new mod from @LavaDelVortel ! Congrats on the release!
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    Great stuff, yet another reason to play again :).
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    another npc to add to that long list of npc mods i need to get to.
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,700
    Thank you! :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    No, this NPC is not going there, I don't think he blends in well with BG2. Also...
    his last talks states that thanks to PC he had a chance to understand some things and needs to follow a different path so he could close some matters for good - and that means he needs to travel north, to where he comes from.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @LavaDelVortel
    What about Trials of the Luremaster or/and IWD-in-EET-when-it-arrives integration for this gnoll?
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Why?
    Uhm, no? Why should he travel back in time? IWD happens many years before BG. And I said before: I write my mods with specific game in mind. Just as I am not moving my IWD quests to BG, neither I am moving my BG mods to IWD or writing them to somehow play a meaningful role in IWD-in-EET. Even if IWD-in-EET would take place during the BG1 campaign, I am not going to write some special talks only for that occasion.
    i never understood this obsession with putting the iwd content into the bg games through eet. it just seems weird as besides sod they are separate series.
    Please, please people just PLAY THE MOD first and see if you like what’s there before you go and ask “what’s next?”
    AionZ wrote: »
    Please, please people just PLAY THE MOD first and see if you like what’s there before you go and ask “what’s next?”

This could be my signature slogan. 100% agrrement
    I mentioned what I did because of the gnoll heading north.
    At no point during his dialogue does he say anything about going north. And even if he did, how does that automatically relate to heading towards the Frozenfar, to become involved in a crisis that chronologically happened 100 years ago?
    Endarire wrote: »
    I mentioned what I did because of the gnoll heading north.

the iwd series takes place way before bg 1. so he would not be there anyways unless he used time travel.
    AionZ wrote: »
    At no point during his dialogue does he say anything about going north.
    (...) - and that means he needs to travel north, to where he comes from.

i think it's due to this unspoken rule and assumption that if an npc mod is in bg1/sod they will be added to bg 2 to finish their story.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • _DD__DD_ Member Posts: 43
    @LavaDelVortel Please, don't be discouraged by those spammy comments. If you search a little you will notice they are made always by the same people in all bg forums and in almost every mod thread. Some sort of ctrl+c / ctrl+v spam. Just ignore everything written by endarine and arthas, and move on.

• masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    Really looking forward to playing with this fellow at some point- seems like fun, and I usually have room for 1 or 2 BG1 NPCs- after all, there are BG2-only folks to pick up!

(Although I do have to look an extra time every time I see his name, since both Lick and Tick seem perfectly reasonable as the end of a Gnoll's name).
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 875
    Another intriguing mod!

One quick question: will any companions refuse to be in the same party as Bristlelick (e.g., Kivan or Ajantis)?

Thanks!
    You won't need to choose between him and other companions. I thought it would be better to show how they feel about this in banters rather than force conflicts. Sometimes I believe it's a must (like in Hephernaan BG2), but I don't think it was truly needed here.

Cheers!
    Great -- thanks for the quick reply!
    You're welcome :)
    New version is here! Changes in v2.0:

– Fix for sudden animation change bug upon game being imported to SoD
    – Fix for a SoD spawn location point if Bristlelick was present in the party
    – Fix for a weapon upgrade script in SoD
    – Fix forone of Bristlelick's items’ description
    – Added a missing journal script and entry
    – Changed Bristlelick's alignment to true neutral to reflect his actual character
    – Additional proofreading by GoForTheEyes
    – Traification
    I have Bristle in my party and think he's a very cool companion. His conversations about his past are interesting and I dig his unique kit. Thanks for another great mod! B)

One question: Bristle doesn't seem to speak with the other companions. Perhaps he will eventually? Not a big deal if he doesn't (he doesn't strike me as a chatty guy). But I thought I would check whether this supposed to be the case.
    He has talks with other NPCs, but game triggers them on its own. But will take a look.

I'm glad you're having fun :)
    edited December 2022
    You kept me in suspense for a few days, but Bristlelick is finally EET compatible! Thankee Lava & Graion!

Lava, the Weasel Mods page for Bristlelick also needs updating to indicate his new EET compat status.

To clarify, what alignment is Bristlelick? You mentioned 'neutral' but LN, TN, or CN? When you mention 'Bruiser,' is that a Fighter kit?

Merry Christmas, everyone! Thanks again Lava for the new, EET compatible versions of Walahnan and Bristlelick which I've wanted for months now!