Skip to content

I need help.

Hello!

I am thinking of doing an entire playthrough of the baldurs gate trilogy with a custom party. I want to have the main character as kind of the ultimate utility one so probably a halfling thief/cleric. For the other custom members I want to have 5 exact same builds I am thinking of maybe a kensai/mage combination? Would this work? Or is there a better build combination where I have one unique build for my character and 5 of the same build? RP wise I kind of want to have the 5 party members to share one mind or something.

Any ideas are welcome.
Aerakar

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    If you want to do 5 kensages, I'd be sure to include daggers and/or axes as one of the initial pip investments for all of them. You're not going to want to be relying on their close-in skills for quite a while due to their no armor and no helmet crit vulnerability. They can do some mega-damage with throwing daggers and axes though!
    JuliusBorisovTheMikeFiveAerakarFenrirWolfganger
  • TheMikeFiveTheMikeFive Member Posts: 30
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    If you want to do 5 kensages, I'd be sure to include daggers and/or axes as one of the initial pip investments for all of them. You're not going to want to be relying on their close-in skills for quite a while due to their no armor and no helmet crit vulnerability. They can do some mega-damage with throwing daggers and axes though!
    Is there a better build? I could always change the main characters build to suit the other 5s? I have only played the game in it's entirely once so I'm no expert.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Fighter/mage is the game's strongest combination so your only real danger with 5 kensai/mages is that you'll breeze through the game too quickly, especially if you cheese your physical stats to 18/9X strength, 18 dex and 18 con.
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    Kensage groups are a bit funky since there are no tanks early, they can't take the hits with no helmet and limited AC. And then they need to get through their low mage levels later with nothing but cleric/thief for support. This concept would be for advanced players imo demanding careful planning and strategy.

Maybe try a twins roleplay instead with more straightforward playability? Gnome non-identical twins, one cleric/thief and one fighter/illusionist. Because halflings can't be cleric/thieves or mages. Human identical twins, both Kensage dual classes, one dagger focused and one axe focused. This group of four covers all class archetypes, you have a viable tank with immediate spell access from the beginning. For a newer player this will be very manageable. Levelling will be fast with a four man party which helps the multi class gnomes develop.

You could also make the kensages triplets or quads if you really want the larger party.
    Aerakar
    Kensage groups are a bit funky since there are no tanks early, they can't take the hits with no helmet and limited AC. And then they need to get through their low mage levels later with nothing but cleric/thief for support. This concept would be for advanced players imo demanding careful planning and strategy.

Maybe try a twins roleplay instead with more straightforward playability? Gnome non-identical twins, one cleric/thief and one fighter/illusionist. Because halflings can't be cleric/thieves or mages. Human identical twins, both Kensage dual classes, one dagger focused and one axe focused. This group of four covers all class archetypes, you have a viable tank with immediate spell access from the beginning. For a newer player this will be very manageable. Levelling will be fast with a four man party which helps the multi class gnomes develop.

You could also make the kensages triplets or quads if you really want the larger party.

Is there any other class combination you'd recommend to get where I can have 5 of the same? I have too little free time to try stuff I'm not going to play the entire trilogy with. Also I research the hell out of everything beforehand. Feel free to advise 2 completely different classes where I can go 1 and 5 with. Thanks in advance.
    jsaving wrote: »
    Fighter/mage is the game's strongest combination so your only real danger with 5 kensai/mages is that you'll breeze through the game too quickly, especially if you cheese your physical stats to 18/9X strength, 18 dex and 18 con.

No high INT?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited February 2021

Is there any other class combination you'd recommend to get where I can have 5 of the same? I have too little free time to try stuff I'm not going to play the entire trilogy with. Also I research the hell out of everything beforehand. Feel free to advise 2 completely different classes where I can go 1 and 5 with. Thanks in advance.

I'd recommend you just play with something you like - that gives you the best chance of making progress anyway. I've played with plenty of different types of parties of 6 made up with all the same class - like fighters, mages, shamans, druids etc. Any full party can make progress, so it's more important you find something you have fun with than attempting to create the most powerful grouping.
    BlackravenJuliusBorisov
    Grond0 wrote: »

I'd recommend you just play with something you like - that gives you the best chance of making progress anyway. I've played with plenty of different types of parties of 6 made up with all the same class - like fighters, mages, shamans, druids etc. Any full party can make progress, so it's more important you find something you have fun with than attempting to create the most powerful grouping.

Great advice! I kind of ment a party that would just make it through the game that would be a lot of fun. Another idea is for Charname to be a totally unique person and the other 5 only sharing the same class or race maybe that would open up some options a bit? Do you have any combinations like that, that would be fun?
    Selerel wrote: »
    I like your idea of a Cleric/Thief. I would also consider a Cleric/Mage, or a Mage/Thief.

Since you're going with FIVE of the same class, I honestly would avoid spellcasters at any cost, it's just too much micromanagement IMHO.

Make it 5x Berserkers with a Cleric/Thief PC. You lose some of the mage function like wands, etc...or you can do Mage/Thief, and lose priest functions, relying on potions for healing. Or a Mage/Thief with 5x Paladin or 5x Ranger since they'll eventually get priest spells...or even 5x Shapeshifters! Healing, summonses, and most importantly...a pack of werewolves!!

Orrrrr don't make the trade-off. Make your PC a Cleric/Mage...Then you can do something like 5x Swashbucklers, enough of them to be able to split tanking responsiblities and do decent melee damage, and also get to master-level with all the thief utilities relatively quickly (you can have a scout Swash, a lockpicker Swash, a trap-detecting Swash, a trap-laying Swash, and an illusion-detecting Swash). This would be just as good with 5x Fighter/Thieves too.

EDIT: 5x Swashbucklers would be fun from a roleplay perspective, you can say they went out on a voyage, something strange happened to them, and they came back as quintuple hivemind.

-5x Shadowdancers would also be fun, five similar characters popping in and out of battle using Hide in Plain Sight, would be chaotic and disorienting!
    -5x Bounty Hunters...I guess just a hive-mind bounty hunter team. You can blow up mountains with that many traps.
    -5x Assassins...sneaking in and laying down up to 5 poisonous backstabs simultaneously??

Consider Fighter/Mage/Cleric for PC too for some extra warrior/DPS support.

Oeh the swashbuckler or fighter/thief idea is really neat, especially since all races are open to it. Also Fighter/thief makes them able to at least get 4 plops into a weapon specialization if not five if I remember correctly. My favorite right now would be a Cleric/Mage combination as Charname since getting level 9 spells would be a possibility. It sucks that I can't just go F/M/C on 5 of them the lvling would be too slow. What to do. Any other great ideas?

Roleplaying wise the Fivemind will have been one person who thought he was so damn unique that nothing could touch him, mocking the gods etc. only for the gods to curse him to be less unique.
    Roleplaying wise the Fivemind will have been one person who thought he was so damn unique that nothing could touch him, mocking the gods etc. only for the gods to curse him to be less unique.

What about making the 5 jesters then, making the joke on them? That might be satisfying in RP terms and you would pack a considerable punch in spell power even if your melee wouldn't be that strong.

Alternatively, how about picking up on the shapeshifter option mentioned before? That would be suitable as a curse, while offering you good options both in melee and with spells.
    Aerakar

What about making the 5 jesters then, making the joke on them? That might be satisfying in RP terms and you would pack a considerable punch in spell power even if your melee wouldn't be that strong.

Alternatively, how about picking up on the shapeshifter option mentioned before? That would be suitable as a curse, while offering you good options both in melee and with spells.

Mostly because I've never ever tried and liked a druid except for in Pillars of eternity 2 multiclassing it as a wizard. I'm unfamiliar with how you play it. Also aren't druid spells kind of limited in comparison to mage spells?

What about 5 sorcerers or something?
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    5 casters means you've got a lot of buffing to do before fights and micro during fights. If you like that, then go ahead, but I'd advice to keep it more simple for the 5 "clones". Like someone said above, barbarians or berzerkers basically only need one buff of rage and then send them off. Though having 5 clones means item overlap, so the more item dependent those are, the harder it will be to keep them all at basically the same level of effeciency. Berzerkers have item restrictions that make it harder to use them in different roles, ie with five plain fighters you can have 2-3 of them using primarily ranged and 2-3 primarly melee etc yet still have them be kinda like clones.

Five blackguards would be weird and perhaps fun. If you play as a sorcerer/mage charname, they could be like your main guy's acolytes. 5 poison weapons at the same I've never seen. Probably overkill, but the way they give up their souls could be a RP reason for them to follow your charname around and basically not having free will/hive mind thingymajingis.

As a side note, any type of 5 damage-dealing setup of clones would probably work well with something like a Skald as main. Never tried in the saga, but fiddled around with it in IWD once. I think I had 5 F/C dwarves and a skald, or something along those lines. Or maybe it was berserkers. Can't remember, 'twas too long ago.
    BlackravenAerakarJuliusBorisov
    Skatan wrote: »
    5 casters means you've got a lot of buffing to do before fights and micro during fights. If you like that, then go ahead, but I'd advice to keep it more simple for the 5 "clones". Like someone said above, barbarians or berzerkers basically only need one buff of rage and then send them off. Though having 5 clones means item overlap, so the more item dependent those are, the harder it will be to keep them all at basically the same level of effeciency. Berzerkers have item restrictions that make it harder to use them in different roles, ie with five plain fighters you can have 2-3 of them using primarily ranged and 2-3 primarly melee etc yet still have them be kinda like clones.

Five blackguards would be weird and perhaps fun. If you play as a sorcerer/mage charname, they could be like your main guy's acolytes. 5 poison weapons at the same I've never seen. Probably overkill, but the way they give up their souls could be a RP reason for them to follow your charname around and basically not having free will/hive mind thingymajingis.

As a side note, any type of 5 damage-dealing setup of clones would probably work well with something like a Skald as main. Never tried in the saga, but fiddled around with it in IWD once. I think I had 5 F/C dwarves and a skald, or something along those lines. Or maybe it was berserkers. Can't remember, 'twas too long ago.

Oeh you people make it so hard to chose!
    The curse if like not a main thing I'm thinking more like first i pick the build and thwn i find an rp way to why all 5 are nigh identical. Kind of a different yet the same thing.

Maybe I should ask it like this what similar build can fulfill 5 multiple roles while whatever is missing is easily filled by charname's build? I'd like a sollid balance between melee, ranged and magic IF possible. Also micro-managing won't be a problem I love prepping for things in detail so. The core four of Fighter, Thief, Mage & Cleric are a necessity no?
    No particular classes are essential, but if you don't know the game well then you might want a thief to open locks and disarm traps. Perhaps make your PC a fighter/thief to cover that.

As others have said, making the others all fighter types would make the game easiest to manage and fighters are a very strong class in their own right. If you really want all magical options though, you could make everyone a F/M/C. You'll miss out then on 9th level mage spells, but you wouldn't need them anyway ...
    JuliusBorisov
  • SelerelSelerel Member Posts: 172
    I'm going to narrow down my suggestions, after thinking about it...these are my top 2:

1. 1x Mage/Thief and 5x Cavalier
    2. 1x Cleric/Mage and 5x Swashbuckler
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    On the second ... swashbucklers don't make for good tanks. They can do damage in melee, but the restriction to light armor and no helmet means they can't take hits. They're fantastic in the very late game, but they need the high-level abilities and extremely high levels to get there. You'd probably be better off with multiclass fighter/thieves in that spot - able to wear heavy armor and helmets, and you're not going to be hurting for skill points to fill out those thief abilities when you have five of them. Plus, you can do a lot of different things with fighter/thieves, and specialize them in different ways. Melee tanks, archers, backstabbing, trap-setting ... lots of tactical possibilities.
    Aerakar
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222

Fair enough. You are committed to the theme so I'll stick to that.

I like @jmerry suggestion of cleric/mage with 5 fighter thieves, all multi class. That brings the decision of races into the mix. All multiclasses here so no humans. C/M can be half-elf only. Gnome Cleric/Illusionist is also possible.

So maybe C/M with 5 half-orcs as one option for heavy offense, or 5 elves to take advantage of 19 dex and bonuses to bow and swords. Elven charm resistance will be handy. Or the C/I with 5 shorties? All the shorties have a trade-off with Gnomes missing the saving throw bonus vs Death, halflings -1 strength and dwarves -1 dex.

I like the idea of all gnomes.
    Aerakar
    Selerel wrote: »
    I'm going to narrow down my suggestions, after thinking about it...these are my top 2:

1. 1x Mage/Thief and 5x Cavalier
    2. 1x Cleric/Mage and 5x Swashbuckler

Feel free to not narrow it down! Biggest con to the 5x Cavalier is no range weapons though. I love paladins they could act like a kind of guard. But would it be enough to get through it all since they don't get as much healing as a Cleric?
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Why limit yourself to one kit if you can have one of each ;)
    lroumen wrote: »
    Why limit yourself to one kit if you can have one of each ;)

Do elaborate?
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Instead of 5 cavaliers simply go with 1 and add 1 undead hunter, 1 inquisitor, 1 black guard, 1 vanilla and the sixth party member
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited February 2021
    Maybe I should ask it like this what similar build can fulfill 5 multiple roles while whatever is missing is easily filled by charname's build? I'd like a sollid balance between melee, ranged and magic IF possible. Also micro-managing won't be a problem I love prepping for things in detail so. The core four of Fighter, Thief, Mage & Cleric are a necessity no?
    A solid balance isn't needed, but if you want it then I'd suggest tweaking @jmerry's suggestion and going with five FMTs for your quintuplets. With a party like that I'd probably opt for a ranger/cleric or priest of Lathander for my main.
    A solid balance isn't needed, but if you want it then I'd suggest tweaking @jmerry's suggestion and going with five FMTs for your quintuplets. With a party like that I'd probably opt for a ranger/cleric or priest of Lathander for my main.

Do you mean the old op ranger cleric or the current one that does not get access to all druid spells? If you mean thw old one I'd live to be able to tweak it so I can get access to the old OP spells too.

Hehe, got me remembering an old IWD guide I read many years ago about going with 5 FMCs and 1 FMT.
    JuliusBorisov

Hehe, got me remembering an old IWD guide I read many years ago about going with 5 FMCs and 1 FMT.

Feel free to share this guide it sounds like a fun one.

Nevermind I found it and I guess I found my next Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition party setup :D. Also yes I am insane.
    Skatan
    Ah, was just about to post it.

Maybe someone else is interested, so I'll put it below since I've already copied the link.
    JuliusBorisov
    Ah, was just about to post it.

Maybe someone else is interested, so I'll put it below since I've already copied the link.

I don't think i'd have enough free time to play through the game 6 tines though.
    Skatan