Skip to content

Anyone else worry for Nov. 30th?

Comments

• BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    darrenkuo said:

@Bytebrain

Why do I feel that ATARI and Wizards of the coast's wallet will be fatter and fatter first…

Of course they will. One follows the other. If they don't make money, neither will Beamdog. That's the nature of their business deal.
    Nothing wrong with that.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    Speaking of November 30th, we're (barely) less than a month away now!
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Shouldnt this thread be under ship delay................................................................. :P
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Eh. It comes out when it comes out. And when it does I will play the hells out of it.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    sepotter said:

Speaking of November 30th, we're (barely) less than a month away now!

It's time to get exited again!

Of course, a second delay of announced day is always possible (or third? september 18 was stretching 'will be released this summer' within 3 days of the limit of summer), but I guess they made a reasonable estimation with delaying for 2 1/2 months.

I will get worried if there's no new news releases and lifting of the veil on some of the updated mechanics of the game. That's what I'm hoping for: some info that will help us start planning our characters. Kits and weapon proficincies will be the same as in the BG2 engine, I guess, but if they give a preview of portraits, that would help getting role-playing ideas for a starting character.

edited November 2012

It's time to get exited again!

Of course, a second delay of announced day is always possible (or third? september 18 was stretching 'will be released this summer' within 3 days of the limit of summer), but I guess they made a reasonable estimation with delaying for 2 1/2 months.

We shouldn't be delayed again, on October 19th @TrentOster said:

"Atari wanted to open the date up in the press to cover the potential for us shipping early. We're targeting the 28th of November as our date. We will not extend the date again."

and on October 24th he said:

"Targeting was used as we cannot control the Apple approval process and as such we might get moved around a bit as a result. On the PC we control the platform, so we'll go on the 28th, come hell or high water."

So it looks like we will actually get it a couple days early (if you're a PC user)
    28th instead of 30th? That would make it... a pre-lay?
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    That pre-lay comment had me choking because I was drinking coke when I read it. *Bad Son_of_Imoen, BAD* :P
    But tbh if they have it ready for the 28th I'm pretty sure they are going to artificially delay it to the 30th. As said previously it would mean they hit the 14th year anniversary marker which is sort of epic AND it would be released on a friday which is even better :D
    Show of hands how many here will be sitting in front of their computer for an entire weekend? *I will, I will*
  • FelixFelix Member Posts: 39
    Maybe they will let those who pre-ordered the game pre-download on the 28th (or a bit sooner) like it was originally intended..Maybe
    Lifat said:

But tbh if they have it ready for the 28th I'm pretty sure they are going to artificially delay it to the 30th. As said previously it would mean they hit the 14th year anniversary marker which is sort of epic AND it would be released on a friday which is even better :D

From a practical point of view, a wednesday-release would give them 2 consecutive working days for 'fire-fighting' if anything goes wrong, like servers crashing or something wrong with the files made available. If they release on a friday, in case of emergency they'd need to sacrifice a weekend, while it's probably time for some much needed rest, from a developer's mind's sanity point of view.

• reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    We'll see if that gives me time to finish my other game. Got Drakensang The Dark Eye Saga cheap and thought it'd be worth a try.

While the RP is nowhere near as deep as Baldur's Gate, it makes you think about battles and strategize carefully. Took me a bit to acclimate to the different system, but I think I like it for the most part.
  • VikingRVikingR Member Posts: 88
    I really hope they release some material this month. That way, they can make sure that the game gets some coverage on a couple of gaming sites.

Some Screenshots of the new content+ a short launch trailer maybe?

edited November 2012

Lifat said:

From a practical point of view, a wednesday-release would give them 2 consecutive working days for 'fire-fighting' if anything goes wrong, like servers crashing or something wrong with the files made available. If they release on a friday, in case of emergency they'd need to sacrifice a weekend, while it's probably time for some much needed rest, from a developer's mind's sanity point of view.

While you do raise a valid point there are supporting factors to my guess:
    1. They said it would be out on the 30th when they delayed it
    2. A friday release is convenient for most gamers
    3. Saying you will release it at a certain date only to release it earlier could mess with people's schedules.

Now I would just like to state that personally I'd like nothing more than to have the game release TOMORROW with no warning (as long as they're actually done), so I would be thrilled if Son_of_Imoen's guess was correct. I just don't believe in that particular date.

Anyways for all our speculations and guesses we wont know for sure untill the game actually releases whether it is before, on or after Nov. 30th.

On topic: I do worry a little that the game will be delayed even further, but only a little because I'd rather have yet another delay if it means a better game on actual release. Don't get me wrong I'd be disappointed with another delay but not as disappointed as I'd be having a semi-ready or subpar game released.
    I personally wouldn't want another delay. The current date comes at a good time for me (and two days earlier is all the better) plus naturally any delay will make a better release, this because there would be more time to work on it, but you have to save some things for post-ship, otherwise we wouldn't have much to look forward to. My main thing with the release is just that most bugs are gone, and the things they have been doing are finished, or at least look finished to me.

Anyway like @felix said, maybe us who preorded can get it on the 28th, and everybody else has to wait, or to refine that even more, maybe all of us who preordered before September 18th get it two days early, that way the official date of release would still be the 30th, AKA the 14th anniversary. I suppose really that's up to @TrentOster to decide though.
  • jankieljankiel Member Posts: 127
    Waited for so long already. If they delay it again I'll wait again. Getting back the lost trust would be another thing tough.
    Well... We will probably be able to download a couple of days before release but I doubt we will be able to play it before the 30th because of the reasons already stated. Would be sweet though. :D
    @Lifat The plan for preloading back in September was to allow preloading to begin no later than a week in advance, probably would've been sooner, but they were ironing out the issues with the launcher, and since they've had 2 1/2 months to get it ready, I'm sure the "November 28th" plan isn't just to start preloading, especially since 2500+ people will be downloading.
    I wouldn't be surprised if preloading started a couple weeks early (which is evidently a couple weeks from now)
    You are probably right that we will get to download a week or two in advance but that doesn't really change anything that I've written (with the exception of: a couple of days before).
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    There's really no point in trying to guess what will happen. When/If it is available for predownload, they'll make an announcement here in the forum. If some player does not discover it's available before they have the time to announce, I mean :)
    @Lifat: the 28th wasn't my guess, I only gave arguments as to why it might be a better date. The info about the date came from @sepotter, above, who quoted from Trent Oster (quote from Twitter? do you have a link sepotter?).

I can just take those quotes for granted, as I of principal don't twitter myself (creates info overload in my brain), so I just assume sepotter quoted true.
    edited November 2012
    Post edited by sepotter on
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    I reckon they'll release by the end of November, but I'm a little more concerned about the Mac version - hope they release this at the same time
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @jankiel Lost Trust? I think that if the game is good when released, they released at the right time and my trust for BeamDog/Overhaul would go up. If it's buggy and crappy, that will damage reputations far less than another delay.
  • jankieljankiel Member Posts: 127
    I was thinking about pushing it again and informing about it late. That would make a lot of people mad.
    There's no way it's getting delayed again. Nobody would be more surprised than me if it were. I'm convinced it will be on time, or quite possibly early.
  • AdventSignAdventSign Member Posts: 96

I wouldn't be surprised if the game ends up shipping before November 30th.

That's what I am thinking...although they might just wait since it is a special date.
  • AdventSignAdventSign Member Posts: 96
    edited November 2012
    Sry double post...internet is slow today.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Loss in trust if it ships late specifically because Trent said "come hell or high water it'll ship on the 30th" or something to that affect.
  • GM1984GM1984 Member Posts: 14
    I don't doubt it'll come out on the 30th but what's going to happen that day to screw me over. My truck will probably break down in the middle of Manchester or some other nasty place just to annoy me.
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    Hopefully we get some screenshots or videos. I've honestly lost interest the last month since there has been no updates so some pics will rekindle it.