Skip to content

Development Build 8193.21 for NWN:EE - a HUGE beta patch is now available

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
edited March 2021 in News
Hello NWN enthusiasts!
  • A new game launcher UI that also includes a curated content repository, free for everyone
  • Full TTF font support throughout the game, for clearer and more adaptive text rendering
  • Fractional/floating-point UI scaling
  • Better UI skinning
  • Game/renderer performance improvements
  • Renderer: soft particle support, blending with fog
  • Water: Screen-space refractions and reflections
  • Pathfinding improvements
  • Visual Object Transform Lerping (smooth transitions)
  • New advanced script commands
  • Three new portraits sourced from the community portrait contest
  • Hundreds of fixes and smaller features

- Please make sure you're using a clean (unmodded) install. Clear your override folder before testing the beta build
- In your Steam Library, Right-Click on the game and choose “Properties”
- Click on the Beta Tab
- Pick the latest Development Build 8193.21

The build is already available from the Beamdog Client as well.

Check out those sweet screenshots and try the improvements yourself.
Doubledimasronaldogugulug5000StummvonBordwehrAaemforeverArviaTarotRedhandhook71FlashburnFelipefplJFKAedanmodestvoltaAerakarVixent

Comments

• TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Minor critique.

I wouldn't class these as bugs just a few things I noticed on trying the new user features for the first time.

First Opening of the new module opening dialogue
    Why doesn't the dropdown box used for sorting the module lists default to A-Z as it used to do? From the default that is in it on first opening it is not obvious what the purpose of this dropdown box is for as there is no label above it.

Module opening
    Why, upon opening of my module, is the view rotated by 180 degrees horizontally? I created the module so that it starts with the PC facing away from the player. With this new update the whole area is rotated so that the player has to look over stuff, formerly in the background, that is now in the foreground.

UI scaling
    Why can't I see the effect of scaling while I'm actually doing it?

TR

• 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    edited March 2021
    1920 x 1080 resolution and 1.9x UI scale, parts of the UI scale off screen. Like this new screenshots viewer, I can't click on the buttons I'm assuming are somewhere below and get stuck forever on this screen.

u7ef43nxr6m9.jpg

Can't actually even start a new playthrough.

619lpsspva4p.jpg
    JuliusBorisov
  • FelipefplFelipefpl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 119
    Good to see a new update with fixes to pathfinding and optimizations (i hope more optimizations will come in the future ;) ) perhaps the crashes i'm having will be fixed too. :)

Good criticism below:

1 - I read the full changelog at steam's site and i missed a changelog with changes in all embedded modules.
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    I do not have the cycles to test this time around but could I get detail on “ A new game launcher UI that also includes a curated content repository, free for everyone”.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Staran wrote: »
    I do not have the cycles to test this time around but could I get detail on “ A new game launcher UI that also includes a curated content repository, free for everyone”.

Just click the link and it'll lead you to screenshots and some details.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Effect Miss Chance/Blind Fighting: Fix erroneous re-roll against target concealment, fix effect being ignored against blind fighting. #15
    Can we get a better description of this? Does this mean Blind Fight doesn't do anything vs. concealed enemies anymore?
    Prince_Raymond
    On the plus side I see that the metallic hair bug is fixed.

TR
    Prince_Raymond
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    edited March 2021
    "Fixes to passive attack target selection. This should address Cleave etc. sometimes failing to find a followup target. #172"

This was something I discovered while submitting screenshots back in the Redmine days. I always wondered why Circle Kick and Cleave/Great Cleave attacks would be done to the same target of the previous attack. Glad to know that issue has been addressed. At the very least, it's a step in the right direction. Thank you, Beamdog. Sincerely.

"Game: Effect Miss Chance/Blind Fighting: Fix erroneous re-roll against target concealment, fix effect being ignored against blind fighting. #15"

100% agree with @Flashburn. Please elaborate.

Thank you for reading, and happy (healthy) gaming to all.
    Post edited by Prince_Raymond on
    StummvonBordwehr
    Also, I got this error when trying to update from the Beamdog client.
    392k3rdjiggg.jpg
  • Night76Night76 Member Posts: 43
    This is great news! Continue update are cool!
  • OlymarOlymar Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2021
    Hi, I encounter missing (possibly just black) text in main menu, character selection and other screens. Everything seems to be OK until I load any game. After that, even returning to main menu, all text is black/missing.

r4acg7dk9hlz.jpg
  • FelipefplFelipefpl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 119
    Olymar wrote: »
    Hi, I encounter missing (possibly just black) text in main menu, character selection and other screens. Everything seems to be OK until I load any game. After that, even returning to main menu, all text is black/missing.

Hi, your bug report reminded me of smalls things that would be nice if implemented.

1 - the number of the version of the game should be displayed in the title screen like in most of games instead of the option screen.

2 - Please, DESTROY the need to confirm TWICE to save the game, it's REALLY annoying and unnecessary.

3 - A quick load key like you added in Planescape would be good too, perhaps you could even "borrow" the code to do it?

Aedan
    While I'm thinking about it, What are "Combat Sticky Modes" all about?
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    While I'm thinking about it, What are "Combat Sticky Modes" all about?

It a toggle so when you use feats like power attack they do not turn off when you move. It was added few patches back.
  • OlymarOlymar Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2021
    Hi, I think I found the bug with repro: Immediately when I type "…" character (U+2026 Horizontal Ellipsis), game fonts break. It doesn't depend on fonts themselves (they contain the character) but you need to have cp1250 language set up (i.e. Polish).

In English, '?' is inserted which I'd also consider a bug since the character itself is present in cp1252 (0x85).

Later I found that all Unicode characters in U+2000-206F block causes the game fonts to break in Polish and possibly causes issues with English as well.
    Post edited by Olymar on
    @ShadowM So, Flurry of Blows will stay activated during combat until either deactivated or the end of the encounter while "Combat Sticky Modes" is enabled?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

r4acg7dk9hlz.jpg

Please Verify game files via Steam. The picture looks as if the TTF file failed to load.
    1varangian wrote: »
    1920 x 1080 resolution and 1.9x UI scale, parts of the UI scale off screen. Like this new screenshots viewer, I can't click on the buttons I'm assuming are somewhere below and get stuck forever on this screen.

u7ef43nxr6m9.jpg

Can't actually even start a new playthrough.

619lpsspva4p.jpg

Thanks, we now require at least xx*768 as a base res, preferably more. And it will still overflow if UI scale is too big.
    Hi, I think I found the bug with repro: Immediately when I type "…" character (U+2026 Horizontal Ellipsis), game fonts break. It doesn't depend on fonts themselves (they contain the character) but you need to have cp1250 language set up (i.e. Polish).

In English, '?' is inserted which I'd also consider a bug since the character itself is present in cp1252 (0x85).

Later I found that all Unicode characters in U+2000-206F block causes the game fonts to break in Polish and possibly causes issues with English as well.

Thanks! Going to fix this bug.
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    edited March 2021
    @ShadowM So, Flurry of Blows will stay activated during combat until either deactivated or the end of the encounter while "Combat Sticky Modes" is enabled?

@Prince_Raymond It will stay on until you turn it off by clicking it again.(deactivated)
    Prince_Raymond
    edited March 2021
    Some criticism:
    • This new font is hard to read. I don't like it.
    • I like the new colorized floating damage numbers, but for weapons that deal multiple non-physical damage types, it just looks stupid seeing all the damage numbers for each damage type floating off of your victim in succession as if they were hit by a magic missile. I really don't need to know that I did 7 acid, 6 fire, 10 positive, and 34 physical - especially in high magic worlds or when using characters with a high number of attacks per round (I can read the combat log for that). Just condense the floating damage numbers into one number for weapons, OR allow multiple damage numbers to float above creatures/objects at once. Right now, the numbers spawn so slowly that I might not even see how much physical damage I did until a few attacks have already gone by, since it seems elemental damage gets reported first.
    • I still want an explanation of this tweak to Blind Fight, @JuliusBorisov:
    Effect Miss Chance/Blind Fighting: Fix erroneous re-roll against target concealment, fix effect being ignored against blind fighting. #15
    Flashburn wrote: »
    Can we get a better description of this? Does this mean Blind Fight doesn't do anything vs. concealed enemies anymore?
    JuliusBorisov
    The change: fixes EffectMissChance() was ignored if the creature had the blind fighting feat.

There is another fix as well: the reroll was done against concealment rather than the miss chance.
    Flashburn
    edited March 2021
    @JuliusBorisov How does the game interpret a character with the Blind-Fight feat in combat with invisible creatures or fighting while under the effect of the Darkness spell? Will there be a miss chance reroll against enemies in those circumstances? Are they considered under concealment? Thank you for reading, and happy (healthy) gaming to all.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • Awas73Awas73 Member Posts: 61
    So when I launch the dev version I have NO intro movies, well they are running but all I see is a blank purple screen for every interface. I DO NOT see the GUI buttons. They are there, I just can't see them to know what I am clicking on.
    @Awas73 What is your system? What settings have you set for the game (resolution etc)?
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    Awas73 wrote: »
    So when I launch the dev version I have NO intro movies, well they are running but all I see is a blank purple screen for every interface. I DO NOT see the GUI buttons. They are there, I just can't see them to know what I am clicking on.

Do you have the “no intro movies” selection checked off
    edited March 2021
    Here's a weird one. I click new adventure and select the module I want to load. The intro movie starts and I press Esc to skip the intro movie. Instead of going to the start of the module it goes about 2/3 of the way in almost as though it is reading a save game.

Win 10, nvidia geforce 1650, 16gig memory. Nothing in override or development folders.

[Edit]

Please ignore. Fixed. Mostly my Bad.

TR
    Post edited by TarotRedhand on
    JuliusBorisov
    Have found something that while not a bug is intensely annoying. When you select the sort order for displaying user-made modules it works fine. However exit NwN and restart it, your selected order is immediately forgotten and the default sort order is re-imposed. Definitely not behaviour that is expected to say the least.

TR
  • KamirynKamiryn Member Posts: 74
    edited April 2021
    In build 8193.21 the SetColor() scripting command does not update the head anymore:

l1qacdz45ybp.png

This is the same for skin, hair and tattoo colors.

Edit: looks like it's fixed in the current beta :)
    Post edited by Kamiryn on
    JuliusBorisov
    I see that the spell checker bug is still in the conversation editor. Over a year since I gave an exhaustive description of it yet you still are in danger of loosing what you type/edit due to it.

TR